PA - Suhr SE100 Amp Sim

Heath Row

NEW! Get the plexi-style tube-driven sound of the Suhr SE100 amp!

Suhr SE100 has joined our guitar amp hall of fame. John Suhr’s classic design and Marshall mod of choice for guitar royalty including Eddie Van Halen and Steve Lukather is now an amp plugin for your DAW. Jam anywhere and get studio-quality recordings.

The offers in this promotion are fixed price offers. Dynamic Discounts apply to non-promotional plugins only, so feel free to add some and save extra!

Suhr SE100

189357f7e2cef961d2d7750707bbe01b4e3f362c

Get the plexi-style tube-driven sound of the Suhr SE100 amp anywhere

$149 $49.99

Plus local VAT taxes in Europe*

Save 66%

• Thanks 1

Hm.  Plexi style amp.  Any opinions on AmpliTube (JH Gold), Softube’s Plexi (Marshall Plexi Super Lead 1959), Friedman BE100, Nembrini Mrh159, or this Suhr SE100?  Oh, and Bogner Ecstacy has a Plexi mode so add Nembrini Extasy and Mercuriall’s to the list.  Is there a reason to have multiples of this type?  Any others I left out?

Nevertheless, I’m likely to just pick it up when the price comes down to $15 after voucher.

Edited by ALC

7 hours ago, ALC said:

Hm.  Plexi style amp.  Any opinions on AmpliTube (JH Gold), Softube’s Plexi (Marshall Plexi Super Lead 1959), Friedman BE100, Nembrini Mrh159, or this Suhr SE100?  Oh, and Bogner Ecstacy has a Plexi mode so add Nembrini Extasy and Mercuriall’s to the list.  Is there a reason to have multiples of this type?  Any others I left out?

Nevertheless, I’m likely to just pick it up when the price comes down to $15 after voucher.

The Softube is kick *****.

The Nembrini is awesome(and on sale)

Amplitube, I'd personally take the MiniPlex 20 over the JH, but the JH is more than capable if you spend a little time with it.

The Friedman BE100 is Excellent.

The Suhr SE100, well yeehaa.

The Nembrini Extacy, I shall be purchasing it later today while it is still on sale, so we shall see.

Mercuriall, well they are very good, but I let them go a few years back, I still have I think 3 from them, but they never get used.

The BE100 and the SE100 took more fiddling to get them where I wanted them, but when I got them there, they were certainly there😁

For me, all of them bar the Amplitube ones require external/3rd party cab IR's.

Amplitube 5 is the only amp sim I've had that I don't feel the need to use external/3rd party cab IR's.

One thing, whoever makes the presets for these amp sims, well, I don't like most of them, I just use my own settings, and usually the drive is backed way of, and the treble and to a lesser extent the presence are also backed off some.

Edited by heath row
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, heath row said:

The Softube is kick *****.

The Nembrini is awesome(and on sale)

Amplitube, I'd personally take the MiniPlex 20 over the JH, but the JH is more than capable if you spend a little time with it.

The Friedman BE100 is Excellent.

The Suhr SE100, well yeehaa.

The Nembrini Extacy, I shall be purchasing it later today while it is still on sale, so we shall see.

Mercuriall, well they are very good, but I let them go a few years back, I still have I think 3 from them, but they never get used.

The BE100 and the SE100 took more fiddling to get them where I wanted them, but when I got them there, they were certainly there😁

For me, all of them bar the Amplitube ones require external/3rd party cab IR's.

Amplitube 5 is the only amp sim I've had that I don't feel the need to use external/3rd party cab IR's.

One thing, whoever makes the presets for these amp sims, well, I don't like most of them, I just use my own settings, and usually the drive is backed way of, and the treble and to a lesser extent the presence are also backed off some.

Thanks for your very thorough run down--I appreciate it.  I forgot about the MiniPlex 20 (Friedman Pink Taco).

My question is,  is there's a good reason to collect all these amp sims if they sound similar?  Like why not just get the best version?  I have Nembrini on iOS (Extacy, Mrh159).  All the Amplitube amps.  Friedman BE100.  Is the Suhr SE100 better?  Or just different?  Of the above, which is your favorite?  Just figuring out if there are any I should still get.

Interesting observation on external IRs, I have the Ownhammer (r)Evolution bundle.  What do you use/recommend?

Thanks!

Hmmm, it's hard, you probably don't need them all :) I'm a bit of a collector.

What are you mainly using using them on PC/Mac/iOS? If it's iOS? then Nembrini Mrh159 is to my ears damn fine.

Yes they are all have a lot of similarity in the sound, like you can tell they come from the same family as it were. There are also differences, and there differences not only in sound, but CPU usage, how you get on with the GUI, other subtle differences.

If you got the finances, I'd say get them all, just wait for sales, like all Nembrini is on sale now, Surh SE100 is at low price, which can be brought down if you have a coupon, or brought down to $31 by the Forever 29 Sub, and then if there is nothing you want next month just cancel it.

IR's, yeah I have way to many, I have all the Ownhammers, all the Redwirez, Celestion, Choptones, Dr Bonkers, etc etc, the majority of them don't get used just because of the sheer volume of them, but I pretty much know which ones I use, and what will do what, the rest of them can just sit there. Ownhammer are top notch.

For my IR loader I use SuperCabinet which is like a module inside of Overloud's TH-U. Basically I just run TH-U for SuperCabinet, everything else is disabled. I also have purchased a number of IR's through and for SuperCabinet, The Jensens are awesome, as are the ones from The Amp Factory and ChopTones. Apart from the Jensens I have some MESA IR's and Bogner, VOX etc. You can try them all out from within SuperCabinet, I think it's a 2 day trial. I'm just working my way through😁. They can only be used in Supercabinet though, but you can load other 3rd part IR's in Supercabinet.

Other than SuperCabinet I use Kazrog's Recabinet 5, which is excellent as well.

I go for stuff that not only does it's job well, but has low CPU use, sometimes it doesn't work out that way though, and you just have roll with it except a bit of CPU usage:)

Anyway, first of all it depends on what platform it's for, PC\MAC\iOS ?

Edited by heath row
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your response.  Are you doing this in any professional capacity?  I’m just a hobbyist intrigued by the opportunity to buy stuff that emulates pricey boutique hardware.  Been playing acoustic guitar for 35+ years now but just getting into electric guitar.

13 hours ago, heath row said:

Anyway, first of all it depends on what platform it's for, PC\MAC\iOS ?

For live performance, I’m using iOS, mainly Nembrini with Ownhammer IRs using Nembrini’s IR Loader (when I’m not lazy).

At home, I’m now using a MacBook Air M1 running Studio One Pro.  I started with AmpliTube (from GB many years ago) and now have the equivalent of MAX after the recent GB.  Now, getting into the standalone amp sims from PA which I like for simplicity vs. suites, especially when chaining different effects.  For IRs, I just use the IR loader built into S1.

I’ve been holding off on TH-U since getting rigs seems like another deep hole to get into.

Coming back to the OP, how’s the Suhr SE100 compared to other sims (since it sounds like you have it)?

Edited by ALC

Well here we go. the SE100, It's as good as any of the others as an amp sim, looking at the 'Plexiness', it's the Softube first, the rest including the SE100 are not far behind. The Softube besides the sound has more configurations in the bridging area. I think it was the SE100 and the Friedman BE100 that both had this beautiful low end rumble, it actually mad me smile and laugh when I first heard it. It of course had a certain amount to do with the mic/cab IR configuration used at the time. It was an Ownhammer rEvolution pack, I think it was MRBW M75, Mics - 414. But you could get it with others, it just really stood out in that config.

So, I'm no expert, I have played Plexi's and own one, but that was years ago, I'm as ancient as Methuselah, so for what its worth, the SE100 just as an amp sim, is as good as any other in that list, when it comes to 'Plexiness' it and all others are beaten out by the Softube, after that you can draw straws, except for at the moment the Nembrini BG Extasy, see below.

I purchased the Nembrini BG Extasy yesterday afternoon, and just as an amp sim it's excellent, the 'Plexiness' as yet I haven't been able coax out of it, but I've had turn to the manual for all the switches on the front panel, like what is 'Excursion A&B?' You can hear it there, but not yet as the others, may be not surprising as it's a Bogner amp with 'Plexi Modes' But time is only early, I only got it yesterday, and still trying to figure it out, to an old dude like me it's not straight forward. Still it sounds excellent as is.

I know a lot of people knock Amplitube, but the 2 amps, JH Gold and MiniPlex 20, can be tweaked to match it with the rest, and with internal Cabs to boot. Personally I could be happy with Amplitube 5 if that was all I had, it probably is my most used Guitar Rig (no. not that hideous NI thing 😁)

This is all just my opinion, an old worn out dude who is just having a bit of fun while waiting for the final performance. So take it for what it is and nothing more.

It really was making my head spin having all these amp sims up and going back and forth to make sure I was getting it right from my point of view.

Happy to do my best to help a fellow Studio One user😇

All the best

[Edit] remember I was using 3rd party IR's, except Amplitube, it was all genuine factory Amplitube.

Edited by heath row
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, heath row said:

Well all genuine factory Amplitube.Well here we go. the SE100, It's as good as any of the others as an amp sim, looking at the 'Plexiness', it's the Softube first, the rest including the SE100 are not far behind. 

Thanks for your insight--this is what I'm looking for.  I'll be waiting for the next time the Softube goes on sale again.

Edited by ALC

10 hours ago, heath row said:

I purchased the Nembrini BG Extasy yesterday afternoon, and just as an amp sim it's excellent, the 'Plexiness' as yet I haven't been able coax out of it, but I've had turn to the manual for all the switches on the front panel, like what is 'Excursion A&B?' You can hear it there, but not yet as the others, may be not surprising as it's a Bogner amp with 'Plexi Modes' But time is only early, I only got it yesterday, and still trying to figure it out, to an old dude like me it's not straight forward. Still it sounds excellent as is.

I know a lot of people knock Amplitube, but the 2 amps, JH Gold and MiniPlex 20, can be tweaked to match it with the rest, and with internal Cabs to boot. Personally I could be happy with Amplitube 5 if that was all I had, it probably is my most used Guitar Rig (no. not that hideous NI thing 😁)

heh ... I hear you.  I had to dig out the manual to make sense of all the modes on the Bogner.

I forgot.  The AmpliTube German 34 is an Ecstacy.  I wonder if it can "plexi" as well.  Never mind.  Just checked and they didn't include the plexi modes.

Edited by ALC

Picked up the Suhr SE100 in the 2 for $49 deal (- $25 monthly voucher).

The controls are different from the Friedman BE100, which at 50% gain has a lot more bass.  I guess each amp has a different and unique voicing.

There’s enough overlap with other amps I have that this doesn’t fill any real gaps but I’m an amp addict.

Edited by ALC
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 3:54 PM, ALC said:

The controls are different from the Friedman BE100, which at 50% gain has a lot more bass.  I guess each amp has a different and unique voicing.

Agree. I've just demoed this Suhr and   I really like it.  Versatile for my needs, sounds good with P90 and SH11 as well.  I already spent my April voucher so I hope the next sale will be earlier than BF :)

On 4/16/2022 at 6:35 PM, heath row said:

Well here we go. the SE100, It's as good as any of the others as an amp sim, looking at the 'Plexiness', it's the Softube first, the rest including the SE100 are not far behind. The Softube besides the sound has more configurations in the bridging area. I think it was the SE100 and the Friedman BE100 that both had this beautiful low end rumble, it actually mad me smile and laugh when I first heard it. It of course had a certain amount to do with the mic/cab IR configuration used at the time. It was an Ownhammer rEvolution pack, I think it was MRBW M75, Mics - 414. But you could get it with others, it just really stood out in that config.

So, I'm no expert, I have played Plexi's and own one, but that was years ago, I'm as ancient as Methuselah, so for what its worth, the SE100 just as an amp sim, is as good as any other in that list, when it comes to 'Plexiness' it and all others are beaten out by the Softube, after that you can draw straws, except for at the moment the Nembrini BG Extasy, see below.

Is there a SE100 preset that provides an example of it's "plexiness"?  Same with the BE100.  I'm trying to wrap my head around how to dial in the power amp distortion vs. the pre-amp distortion.  I just know about diming all the controls which works with JH Gold and Mrh159.

An interesting thing is that Suhr no longer sells the SE100.  Seems the Suhr SL series is the replacement: https://www.suhr.com/electronics/amplifiers/suhr-sl/ ... it's closer to the original Marshall SL100 controls.

Do you have a sense that all the Nembrini and Brainworx amp sims are of similar quality or are the newer Nembrini sims better?

I also came across this: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/amp-fight-can-the-suhr-pt15ir-sound-like-a-100w-plexi-sl68.2094074/ ... so I assume the Suhr PT100 (big brother of the PT15) would also be able to get the plexi tones.

Edited by ALC

I created a Studio One project with the following plexi amp sims (just the ones I own on the computer):

1. JH Gold (AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix)
  2. MiniPlex 20 (AmpliTube 5)
  3. '69 Plexiglas v2 (BIAS FX 2 LE)
  4. Friedman BE100 (Plugin Alliance/Brainworx)
  5. Suhr SE100 (Plugin Alliance/Brainworx )
  6. Suhr PT100 (Plugin Alliance/Brainworx)
  7. Plex (Guitar Rig 6 Pro)
  8. Marshell (sic) Plexi (Audio Assault ReAmp Studio)

I bypassed all the onboard cabs and used an OwnHammer IR (4x12 Marshall BW) in Open Air as well as the default cab in Ampire.  I put a room reverb at the end.

Note that I've never played a real Marshall "Plexi" amp so I'm just guessing what it's supposed to sound like and be set.  I just dimed the JH Gold across the board and used that as the reference.

With JH Gold as a reference, used Tone Generator to create pink noise, and looking at Spectrum Meter, set all the tone controls to match as best I could (and checked with my ears), level matched the outputs, so you can just click between the different channels and listen to the difference between the amp sims.

I don't have the Softube Plexi--that would've been the ideal reference.

Here are the amp settings:

1. JH Gold - all at 10
  2. MiniPlex - all at 10 except for highs at 4
  3. Plexiglas - all at 10 except for highs and presence at 0
  4. BE100 - presence: 3, treble: 6.5, rest at max (I'm still not quite satisfied with this one)
  5. SE100 - presence: 6, bass: 4, middle: 10, treble: 9, level: 10, gain:6, depth: 9
  6. PT100 - gain2: 10, bass: 10, middle: 4, treble: 3.5, presence: 3
  7. Plex - all at 10
  8. Marshell Plexi - gain: 10, bass: 3.9, mid: 4.4, treble: 0.2, presence: 0.6, depth: 10, volume: 10

If you have Studio One 5 Artist, you should be able to load up the attached project and do your own comparisons (if you don't have S1 Pro, Open Air will not be accessible, but you can replace with your own IR loader, or just use the Ampire Marshall 4x12 cab).  It is important to level match so that the perceived volume is the same--adjusted each Channel Strip gain so the VU Meter after the cab is at the same level.

For most of the amps, I maxed out the gain and master levels, but I can tell from the background noise level that there's different levels of amplification so an apples to apples comparison would normalize the amount of amplification as well.

I was surprised by the GR6 Plex--it sounded very close to JH Gold.  The SE100 sounded the best of this list (provided more lows).  The PT100 can be made to sound pretty close.  I'd be satisfied with the AmpliTube and GR6 amps.  I couldn't quite dial in the BE100 to my satisfaction.  The BIAS FX 2 Plexiglas is missing the lows, sounding the thinnest.  Aside from JH Gold and GR6 Plex (dimed across the board), the rest of the amp settings were highly variable.  I could probably live with any of these except for BIAS FX.

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts.  If you have better amp settings (especially for the BE100), please let me know.  If you have other amp sims, test them out and share your findings.

Plexi Amps.song

Edited by ALC
Updated S1 file
  • Like 2

I discovered that the AmpliTube JH Gold is based on a JTM45.  The AmpliTube British Lead S100 (from JH Collection) is the proper super lead model, based on the JTM100, though it doesn't have the two channel bridging like JH Gold has.  So, what's the difference between the two?

Also, I happen to have the Marshall JTM45 from Softube Bluesbreaker.  Anyhow, I threw both the AmpliTube S100 and the Softube JTM45 into my project file.

S100 with all at 10 normalized to the same level sounds pretty close to JH Gold (but not as good, without bridging).

I had to set the Softube JTM45 presence to 8, otherwise everthing else was at 10.

The Softube JTM45 does sound the best, but it's pretty subtle (more complex overtones, that probably would get lost in a mix).  With careful EQ, all can be usable for solos.  For chunky chords, I would skip BIAS FX.

So, now, I know I have a number of options for the Plexi sound: AmpliTube for easy jamming, SE100 for a standalone plugin, or Softube JTM45 in Amp Room (for best quality).  If the Softube Super Lead deal comes around again for $20, I'll jump on that, but in the meantime, I'll use the JTM45.

Relating back to this thread, if you have the PT100, you can probably dial in similar sounds, but SE100 is an easier interface.

Plexi Amps.song

Edited by ALC
Updated S1 file w/new amps