Focusrite: Download your latest free offer from the Plug-In Collective

chris.r

Capsule’s Neon sound library is the latest instalment from the Plug-in Collective

The latest instalment of the exclusive Plug-in Collective community giveaway is Capsule’s Neon sound library. Normally sold for $9.99 per month with access to all sounds, or $19.99 outright per sound pack, Neon is free to download for Plug-in Collective members from 14th April to 22nd June 2022 (4pm GMT).

https://focusrite.com/en/news/plug-collective-capsule

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

For Novation peeps, Capsule appears to be the shiny toy du jour for the Novation Sound Collective, as well. The semi-fine print over there reads:

"Sound Collective members can download Capsule's Neon sound library for free from their Novation account from 14th April to 22nd June (4pm GMT). Access the 30-day free trial to have all the capsules at your disposal."

My impression from this thread about Capsule's launch is that you (eventually) have to pay for packs to use the player, so maybe this is effectively a 30-day trial? Or possibly more, but it's not entirely clear.

• Like 1

The way I read it you get the Capsule player free + the Capsule’s Neon sound library, free to download for Plug-in Collective members from 14th April to 22nd June.

Optionally you can subscribe for access to all sound libraries.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Capsule’s Neon sound library is the latest instalment from the Plug-in Collective

or $19.99 outright per sound pack, Neon is free to download for Plug-in Collective members from 14th April to 22nd June 2022 (4pm GMT).

You can OWN them also....so you don't have to pay to use the player

• Like 1

This thing sounds good! :)

In addition to the macro knobs available for each preset to control things such as filter and resonance, effect levels, timbre, movement, etc., you can open up a panel to control response curves, ADSR, and voicing mode (mono, legato, and poly).

But overall very simple to operate!

It seems that there's no way to close the Capsule Portal unless you use the task manager and you have to run it even when you just want to use the VST. Really annoying.

Edited by BTP
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, BTP said:

It seems that there's no way to close the Capsule Portal unless you use the task manager and you have to run it even when you just want to use the VST. Really annoying.

That is annoying! I was just getting ready to post this. I found the solution!

By default the portal launches whenever you run the plugin, and stays running in the background so that you will have access to online resources. You have to end the portal task via the Windows Task Manager, but there is a way to prevent it from starting at all.

Just turn the cloud options off! https://support.capsule.audio/support/solutions/articles/77000482742-cloud-options

See the image below:

Capsule-Cloud-Settings.png

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

That is annoying! I was just getting ready to post this. I found the solution!

While that is one way, you can also either logout or just quit the Portal which removes it from the task manager.

EDIT: then again, I just realized the point was the Portal running automatically when using Capsule but the same happens when you run the Portal unless you....  :))

Capture.JPG.642e7551c3a6d54aa002f1a15d57fac8.JPG

Edited by Fwrend
  • Great Idea 1

Regrading the persistence of the portal running in the background, I assume they expected the majority of their users would (hopefully) be subscribers who would prefer to be online to access sound content.

Overall it seemed rather harmless, but annoying to us one-timers. Probably nothing evil intended, just their business model. :)

Bottom line is that the plugin runs just fine offline once installed, as long as you only need the content located on your local drive.

Edited by abacab

Well actually there is quite a decent virtual analog synth under the hood, combined with sample based synthesis, so it is a hybrid synth. It sounds great, with a relatively small footprint, that you can set to a secondary drive via options if desired.

https://support.capsule.audio/support/solutions/articles/77000494489-plugin-faq

What is the underlying synth engine? 

To generate sound, the Capsule plugin is leveraging a deep synthesis engine.

The engine is a 4 parts synthesizer with a semi-modular architecture.  

At the heart of the Capsule synthesizer are the oscillators, which are of the following types:

Virtual analog

Several variations of a state-of-the-art virtual analog synthesizer, including hardware modeled waveforms, hard-sync, pulse-width modulation, frequency modulation, ring modulation, unison, and more.

Sample-based

An advanced sample-based oscillator, supporting release samples, round-robin, dynamic crossfading, and more, allowing to play realistic sampled instruments as well as enabling creative sound design.

Capsule also includes various analog-modeled and creative filters algorithms as well as a wide range of modulations and FXs

Is the internal synth engine accessible? 

Not at the moment. 

The engine is still under development, however, it will most likely be made available to users at a later point.  

More details will be shared.