Horizons (Steve Hackett Cover)

AndyB01

Since finally getting my very own nylon strung guitar (after decades of owning only steel strung versions) I've been trying to re-acquaint my tired old brain and broken technique with the rudiments of classical guitar. This is my take on the classic Genesis track from Foxtrot - from the guitar meister himself, Steve Hackett (my all-time favourite guitarist).

I've been trying to perfect this for years and - as you can tell - I still haven't mastered it!  😂

And yet, I feel it's got to a level where I'm not entirely embarrassed to share it publicly - so here goes:

Apologies for the odd dropped harmonic - hopefully it doesn't detract too much.

Enjoy!

Andy

• Like 3

Lovely, Andy!

Steve Hackett is also one of my favs. Saw him with Genesis before he went solo. The show I remember the most was his first solo tour stop at a small club in Chicago. Good thing he left Genesis after Gabriel.

I love good nylon-strung guitar work. Big fan of Oscar Lopez and Ottmar Liebert. And a lot of the other Nouveau Flamenco artists.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:55 PM, John Maar said:

Lovely, Andy!

Steve Hackett is also one of my favs.  Good thing he left Genesis after Gabriel.

Agreed - his back catalogue is an incredible legacy and so many different styles - I saw him most recently last year on his Genesis Revisited tour and was completely blown away - simply stunning.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:08 PM, msmcleod said:

This is a favourite of mine also, along with the intro to Blood on the Rooftops.

Ah yes - I never quite mastered Blood on the Rooftops - another great song - perhaps I'll give it another go sometime - those hammers and pulls at the end of the intro are quite a trick to pull off.

Thanks for listening and for the feedback - very much appreciated

8 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Thanks for the listen @Johnbee58 and @Beagle - I'll see if I can have a crack at Blood on the Rooftops sometime. 😊

It's actually a lot easier to play than it sounds. I was pleasantly surprised when I learned it. Such is the genius of Steve Hackett.

Here's a vid I found on YouTube... this guy plays it only very slightly differently than I do, but only very slightly.

But if you notice, most of the times he's either only playing two notes at once or playing a chord.

• Like 1

Love the live sound. It's "close up and personal" and "roomy" all at once, and both support each other.

It's a very pretty song, and I don't think I've heard it before. Nice job on them harmonics, and the guitar sounds fabulous. Curious, what mic did you use? Or was it two mics?

cool chops, man. Thanks for sharing the listen.

-Tom

Wow - so many comments - cheers guys

Thanks @Wookiee agree on Mr Hackett - 100 per cent and I'll try and get some more stuff posted when I find time

Cheers @garybrun @daryl1968 and @amiller appreciate the critique

@emeraldsoul no mics involved - the guitar in question is a curious beast - it is in fact a Yamaha Silent Guitar (SLG200N) that I got earlier this year - just DI'd via a Focusrite 2i4 interface and the reverb is an onboard effect. It's a great guitar for recording and comes to bits for easy storage - as well as being less annoying for Missus AndyB01 for when I have to do me some practice. :-)

@Douglas Kirby I've always loved and played classical guitar since I was a kid (or tried to) and never owned a gut string before this year - how utterly crazy is that. Sad fact is, I rarely get the steel strung out of the case these days - I think I'm better on the nylon that's why. The only downside - re-stringing the beggar - that's a dark art!

Thanks all for feedback

• Haha 1