Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, steve@baselines.com said:

I started out with a tempo map from a download of the original so I think the tempo is right.

Interesting as that's something I just started doing to actually re do my own old songs that I don't have Cakewalk or midi files for. Drag the wave file to the time line and then play along with the original adding each instrument. 

I made a how to video about this technique- 23- Re making a song from the original-  https://youtu.be/HuPc1RjBRbc 

Got a lot of flack from people who were not happy because they thought I was going to show them how you extract the parts and turn it into midi.    What! I have to play the instruments? 

I just found this midi file for the song but its kind of wet noodle version. One could use it as a starting point which is what I've done a lot of in the past. As long as they get the arrangement right everything else can be re-done. 

 

https://freemidi.org/download3-25083-summer-in-the-city-lovin-spoonful#google_vignette

 

Edited by John Vere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great cover of a great song....oh yeah, i was there digging this song on 93 KHJ AM or 1110 KRLA AM in Los Angeles 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, John Vere said:

Interesting as that's something I just started doing to actually re do my own old songs that I don't have Cakewalk or midi files for. Drag the wave file to the time line and then play along with the original adding each instrument. 

I made a how to video about this technique- 23- Re making a song from the original-  https://youtu.be/HuPc1RjBRbc 

Got a lot of flack from people who were not happy because they thought I was going to show them how you extract the parts and turn it into midi.    What! I have to play the instruments? 

I just found this midi file for the song but its kind of wet noodle version. One could use it as a starting point which is what I've done a lot of in the past. As long as they get the arrangement right everything else can be re-done. 

 

https://freemidi.org/download3-25083-summer-in-the-city-lovin-spoonful#google_vignette

 

I just watched your video - thanks for uploading that.  It took me a long time to  find out you could drag the song to the bar up at the top - Cakewalk documentation used to be really hard to find things in for me for some reason.  I always need to edit the tempo line - I remove a lot of the nodes and try to make the changes as smooth as possible by looking at the wave file to pick out the low frequency kicks and the mid frequency snares.  I usually fond out that it can be a bit off over larger stretches of time, but it is better than having the tempo map instantaneously switch by many bpm at a time.  It's a labor intensive project but pays off I think in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Larry T. said:

great cover of a great song....oh yeah, i was there digging this song on 93 KHJ AM or 1110 KRLA AM in Los Angeles 🎶🎶🎶🎶

😄 It was a GREAT time to be listening to AM radio - here it was WRKO and earlier WMEX. WMEX had the venerable Arnie Woo Woo Ginsberg in the late 50s early 60s, more my sisters generation, but I remember some of it in the car.  It was the Ruby Baby and Bobby Rydell generation of songs (Bobby just recently passed on).  But WRKO was a great station in the late 60s early seventies with DJs that had actual personalities.  Even the novelty/niche songs were good (Hey There Little Red Riding Hood, Timothy,  DOA, 96 Tears)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This song got an incredible amount of air time  back in the day.  You have done an excellent cover on this song.  Well done!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2022 at 4:14 PM, freddy j said:

This song got an incredible amount of air time  back in the day.  You have done an excellent cover on this song.  Well done!

Thanks Freddy!  It was one of my all time favorites from that era.  

Steve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice cover Steve.  Good job on the vocal harmonies.   It brought back some good memories.

The Lovin' Spoonful songs were different than most other bands of the time.  Hums had everything from Summer In The City to Darlin' Companion to Rain On The Roof.  The 2003 release of Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful has a beautiful instruments minus vocals version of Rain On The Roof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2022 at 3:14 PM, Jim Fogle said:

Nice cover Steve.  Good job on the vocal harmonies.   It brought back some good memories.

The Lovin' Spoonful songs were different than most other bands of the time.  Hums had everything from Summer In The City to Darlin' Companion to Rain On The Roof.  The 2003 release of Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful has a beautiful instruments minus vocals version of Rain On The Roof. 

Thank you Jim - I came very close to covering DayDream until I remembered I couldn't whistle very well 🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job - I thought you did an excellent job on this cover version.  Johnny Rivers doesn't get the credit he deserves, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

Nice job - I thought you did an excellent job on this cover version.  Johnny Rivers doesn't get the credit he deserves, in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback Douglas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...