22 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

One tune from that era that we never covered (in numerous garage & frat party bands).
Can't say why.

Didn't Clapton credit this for the chord progression for Tales of Brave Ulysses?
That should cover White Room as well, non?

Anyway 👍's

t

Yeah I bet there are hundreds of songs out there with a progression similar to that one.  25 or 6 to 4 comes to mind.

At least White Room had the 5/4 part in it, probably they added that so there would be no legal action LOL.

• Like 1

Where's that Autoharp?  I thought that was what made this song unique was the use of an Autoharp on a rock song. 

Anyhow great job on all those details. That's a complicated song.

I was 13 and it was a Hot Summer as I remember picking raspberry's all day on a farm you rode on a school but to. Probably to pay for a guitar or amp I was lusting after. That song would come on the Bus radio  every day heading home at days end. 

Edited by John Vere

Great cover!

Both my parents worked at the private school in N.J. where J. Sebastian went. The school is in a tiny very rural town in NW NJ where the original Friday The 13th Part 1 horror movie was filmed. They ran the canteen there and got to know him. They said he was a really nice kid but I don't think they really knew who he was, or would be, until a few years later.

22 hours ago, John Vere said:

Where's that Autoharp?  I thought that was what made this song unique was the use of an Autoharp on a rock song. 

Anyhow great job on all those details. That's a complicated song.

I was 13 and it was a Hot Summer as I remember picking raspberry's all day on a farm you rode on a school but to. Probably to pay for a guitar or amp I was lusting after. That song would come on the Bus radio  every day heading home at days end. 

I didn't have an Autoharp plugin and the one I found was like 50 euros.  Maybe I'll look around again.

Thanks for your memory.  I was the same age!  About 1980 or so, my band opened up for John Sebastian up in Maine.  He was a very low key nice guy.  It was funny, because when we got home after the gig, the movie One Trick Pony was on and he appeared in it wearing the same red and white shirt he was wearing for the concert!

17 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Great cover!

Both my parents worked at the private school in N.J. where J. Sebastian went. The school is in a tiny very rural town in NW NJ where the original Friday The 13th Part 1 horror movie was filmed. They ran the canteen there and got to know him. They said he was a really nice kid but I don't think they really knew who he was, or would be, until a few years later.

That is a cool memory, thanks for sharing.  Take a look at my memory which I just posted to John Vere's mail.  There's a youtube video of the Lovin Spoonful doing this song (from the 60's it looks like) and then there's another one that is more recent.  (White beard LOL)

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Great Job on this!  You always pick the greatest songs to cover. Thanks for sharing this , I haven't heard it in a decade but for some reason it's been popping in and out of my head for about a month now ..              Enjoyed it ..          mark

Hey Mark - great minds think alike LOL.  Thanks for listening.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

It was a different time. I liked your version a lot, well covered sir! Vocals especially. Going off of deep memory, is your version just a hair faster in the bpm? Or more likely, do I remember things in sepia-tinted meter?

Either way, I dug it, you dig?

cheers,

-Tom

Hey thanks Tom - I started out with a tempo map from a download of the original so I think the tempo is right.  I think it may sound rushed because maybe I couldn't keep up with the vocal as well as I should!  The opening piano is in C minor, which seems like the right key.

Steve