MIDI-recording goes crazy!

peter

Hello!

I have a real weird thing here and bin rather angry about it.

I make a take or two over MIDI and after some time (earlier it was after i freezed the track and refreezed it than) Cakewalk just through the notes in chaos, without any reason i can understand!

So some played notes just lack, or (it was after refreezing the track) the whole track delayed.

Is it a Bug??

Regards

pete

Edited by peter

I will assume this is the Bandlab version. I will also assume this is with Midi only.

Are there any FX on the tracks being worked on ? this could lead to latency. Might want to try bypassing FX to check.

It could also be your midi buffers need to be bumped up a notch. I don't know of any bugs where freezing/unfreezing midi would cause a total loss of production. If there was im sure we would all be in some trouble.

there are some FX on it, but this is not the question of latency, some midi-notes are just missing.

I know about latency problem with some dynamic EQ and other stuff. But it affects just playing live.

This is the Bandlab version and the track is on midi, but together with other stuff.

What do you mean with "midi buffers need to be bumped up a notch"? Do you mean the buffersize of the soundcard?

That affects also just the live playing, but not this strange missing notes.

2 hours ago, peter said:

I know about latency problem with some dynamic EQ and other stuff. But it affects just playing live.

I didn't see the words "playing live" in your first post, which makes it difficult to assess what is going on. I almost didn't even reply to this post yesterday because it lacked "detail". Those are the hardest kind of Problems to solve. Im guessing that's why others haven't replied either.

It might help to know...

- What Midi controller your using,

- What kind of cable your using to transmit your midi (USB to USB ? ..  MIDI to MIDI ?  .. USB to MIDI ?)

- What VST Instrument you are using.

Things to check...

1. Check your MIDI prepare buffer. If this is too small, it can result in missing notes. A value of 750 should be sufficient:

image.png.b0c0932e0120dc93e13804ea405fc1e1.png

2. It might be your Synth or some of the effects on that track don't support Fast Bounce. Right click on the freeze button, select Freeze options, and uncheck Fast Bounce. Then try freezing the track... does it sound better?

Edited by msmcleod

On 6/13/2019 at 12:58 PM, msmcleod said:

Things to check...

1. Check your MIDI prepare buffer. If this is too small, it can result in missing notes. A value of 750 should be sufficient:

image.png.b0c0932e0120dc93e13804ea405fc1e1.png

2. It might be your Synth or some of the effects on that track don't support Fast Bounce. Right click on the freeze button, select Freeze options, and uncheck Fast Bounce. Then try freezing the track... does it sound better?

very nice, did not know about extra buffer for MIDI! thanks!

How about the 64 Buffer above? Should it be more?

The thing is, i seted the milisecs on 750, than unchecked the fast bounce. If I now unfreeze the track, the DAW just moves it a litte bit further. But now there no missing notes! Do you have an idea, why the DAW moves the notes further by unfreezing the track?

@Chuck E Baby: I did not talk about playing live, just mentioned it, because (as i know) the latency comes by playing live and not on unfreezing or freezing the track.

I don't use any controller, go just directly from keyboard to Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Tha cable is MIDI to MIDI.

As VST i use the free version of Rapture Session 1

1 hour ago, peter said:

Do you have an idea, why the DAW moves the notes further by unfreezing the track?

That would be latency.

Bandlab by Cakewalk uses the Soundcards buffer size for offline rendering (fast bounce, freezing) Make sure your Audio interface buffer size is not too low.

On a side note ( Not the same thing as your Midi buffer size).

Are you running in ASIO ? Im almost positive your Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 uses an ASIO Driver. Try increasing this. You should be able to open your Focusrite Saffire MixControl screen and change it there.