"On Your Way"

bats brew

Rob, one of the things I like best about your music is the uplifting words that you write from song to song.  This carries on that tradition resulting in a song that soars with your voice and guitar work.  As for your technical questions, I'd be grateful just to get this close to perfection in my own work, so I'm not qualified to answer.  I will say, there's absolutely no mud, and this recording is as clean as a whistle.  You could listen to this all day without getting ear fatigue, so maybe I will.

Like Rush only with a better singer.

And I LOVE Rush.

How did you get that lead vocal so clear? Is it doubled? I know you have a lot of bgv's for spice, but occasionally when the lead vocal is exposed? it just comes across the guitars and such with such clarity. Very very nice.

cheers,

-Tom

I like this Bat. Nice arrangement. I have listened to your stuff before and was always impressed with your drum trks. they don't sound like they are played on a grid. Sounds loose and allows the song to breathe.

Vocals in some of the places in the front of the song reminded me of CSNY, and at other places in the song almost Styx like. Your guitar work sounds like you. You got your sound down. And I like it.

21 hours ago, SPAK said:

Hi Bat

All good here in the SW ... however the eq leaves the mix a little thin ...kinda clinical if you get my point ... Bass not a prob IMO

Steve

hey steve! 

thanks for listening

eq thin? hm, not sure how/where to correct that, or even what freqs to look at.

now, the guitars , especially during the first part, use a 'thin' tone to start with, without a lot of drive,

that is by choice...

maybe eq'ing the vox could thicken things a bit?

21 hours ago, SPAK said:

Hi Bat

All good here in the SW ... however the eq leaves the mix a little thin ...kinda clinical if you get my point ... Bass not a prob IMO

Steve

hey steve! 

thanks for listening

now, the guitars , especially during the first part, use a 'thin' tone to start with, without a lot of drive,

that is by choice...

here's the curve of the song:

song curve

21 hours ago, Lynn said:

Rob, one of the things I like best about your music is the uplifting words that you write from song to song.  This carries on that tradition resulting in a song that soars with your voice and guitar work.  As for your technical questions, I'd be grateful just to get this close to perfection in my own work, so I'm not qualified to answer.  I will say, there's absolutely no mud, and this recording is as clean as a whistle.  You could listen to this all day without getting ear fatigue, so maybe I will.

hey lynn!

so glad you dig this stuff,

that's really what i'm trying to do with this group of songs,

uplift.

and it's good to know the mix is translating on your playback, so thanks for that

19 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

And I LOVE Rush.

How did you get that lead vocal so clear? Is it doubled? I know you have a lot of bgv's for spice, but occasionally when the lead vocal is exposed? it just comes across the guitars and such with such clarity. Very very nice.

cheers,

-Tom

haha, tom, better singer.... i like geddy! wifey can't stand him...

lead vocals were recorded very straightfoward, shure ksm44 into a RME babyface pro.

very conservative with the levels, i think i register about -18 rms, and maybe -8db on the peaks.

everything else added after.

i run the vocal thru a parametric EQ, and high pass the low end around 150hz, and tweak freqs for clarity and mud,

and then hit a 1176 emulation pretty hard (waves cla-76).  i think this lead vox has slapback delay, but no verb?

and yes, the lead vox was doubled on this one, and is blended in barely under it, and not on every line.

18 hours ago, Grem said:

I like this Bat. Nice arrangement. I have listened to your stuff before and was always impressed with your drum trks. they don't sound like they are played on a grid. Sounds loose and allows the song to breathe.

Vocals in some of the places in the front of the song reminded me of CSNY, and at other places in the song almost Styx like. Your guitar work sounds like you. You got your sound down. And I like it.

thanks grem!

the drums were definitely programmed, but using a very loose loop,

and i typically do stuff to drums, to push them faster or make them slower at certain change-ups of the song,

just the way i would direct a live drummer to do, to make the song breathe.

44 minutes ago, batsbrew said:

push them faster or make them slower at certain change-ups of the song

It does come across Bat. Do you use loops or a drum program loops, like EZd, or ADD2.

But if you don't want to talk about it, I can understand!! LOL : )

20 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

And I LOVE Rush.

cheers,

-Tom

Exactly my thoughts when I listened to it ! 

Really good song @batsbrew - my only comment would be to make the vocals a bit more "present".  They sound fantastic, but on headphones sound a bit boxed in - maybe because they're in mono. Level wise they're spot on, but I feel they should be more "in your face".

But to be honest, I feel like I'm being picky. It's really excellent as it is.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:11 PM, Myriad Rocker said:

Nice mix and writing.  I like how everything sits.  Agree with your self-assessment, but it's sure close.  The song has a vintagey but not in the EQ.  EQ is bright and clear.  I would say thicken up the low-mids a bit, as I agree with SPAK just a bit.

thanks for the comments myriad....

vintage is good to my ears. i tend to write groups of songs intended to be listened to continuously, album style, and the modern approach is a bit fatiguing.

i'm looking at the curve, above, and not seeing where the freqs are the really need thickening in the low mids,

already looks pretty balanced.

i might go back and beef up invidual tracks, and see if that collectively does the trick.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:00 PM, kloon said:

Wow, very nice tune. Great vocals. I would personally lift the vocals a bit forward.

hi Kloon, thanks for listening...... vocals level up, check! there are some spots where that can happen and not step on anything, i'll do some more tweaking.

22 hours ago, Wookiee said:

This has obviously been sprinkled with Bat's own special fairy dust, probably the remnants of that old hill top brew ;) Sweet as ever. :)

hey wookiee! thanks for the kind words man, appreciate it.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, batsbrew said:

hey steve! 

thanks for listening

that is by choice...

here's the curve of the song:

song curve

OK Bat, first off I'm finding it hard to explain what I'm hearing / or not hearing, cause this bit off work is so fukn good it keeps putting me off my Tech head, the whole song is exiting and takes me back to the old days of cider and smoke, shut my eyes click of the heals ...I'm there.

I see from the EQ it seems to be addressing the bit where I would have thought there might be something missing .. but no, so I'm unsure how any of my tech comments could help, but .. It's kinda like getting a CD of an LP you had and hearing how clean the CD is, sort of, not feeling the warmth ....

Godda remember though I ain't a pro and just a tad unworthy ... the songs you do are second only to some of the stuff James here does ... I'm off to drink my head clear now cause I know that's no help ...maybe take another listen ...or two⁉️🔮

Steve