Setting “Outs” in Kontakt 6

Billy86

Just moved to Kontakt6 from Kontakt5 Player. In K5 Player  there were apparently three configurations you could use: one was a stereo pair out, one was eight outs, and one was 16 outs.  I had indicated those three configurations in the browser as KontaktStereo, Kontakt8 and Kontakt16 so I’d know which one to insert.

Do I have to do the same thing in  Kontakt6, or does it include all the possible ‘out’ configurations? Thanks. 

To my understanding Kontakt 6 has one configuration and it uses all outs.  I think its 32.  You can delete as many of audio tracks you will not need. You can use Cakewalk's Synth Rack and the soft synth options dialog to set only one out. 

• Thanks 1

I set up Kontakt 6 last week and created some track templates for the configurations I typically use, 2 stereo pairs, 4 stereo pairs and 16 mono outs (for drums).  Then use Insert from Track Template to load the configuration you need.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Thanks for the info. Track templates is a great idea. I need to do some of those. Thanks again. 

Yup - I set up a track template for every drum kit I use - in my case I use Battery 4, but the same approach works for drum kits loaded into Kontakt.  

I set every kit piece (each cymbal, tom, the snare, hi-hat closed, hi-hat open, hi-hat pedal, and kick) to have its own output(s) (some are mono and some are stereo), and I create a track folder in Cakewalk, with audio tracks for all of the kit pieces, and one midi track to record all the drum midi data.  I also make sure I get each kit piece properly level-balanced with the other kit pieces, and I additionally set up several buses for the kit - a toms bus, a cymbals bus, a parallel compression bus, a drums master bus - and then when everything is setup the way I like, I select all of the tracks for the kit, and export it as a track template.

Over time, I have developed a number of these drum kit track templates, and it is INCREDIBLY effortless and fast, to insert all of the above, simply by inserting the desired track template.

For other instrument groupings that I routinely use - like the various instruments I use for the Genesis tribute project I am getting things together for, track templates work equally as well - in this case, I have the all the tracks, instruments, buses, gain-staging, effects, etc., all set up - for the various instruments Tony Banks used (Yamaha Electric Grand, L122 organ, Mellotron, ARP 2600, Synclavier, ARP Quadra, ARP Pro Soloist, etc.), and it is just effortless to bring all of that in with a single track template.

I save all of my track templates to sub-folders of my creation, so that they are easy to manage - like to copy over to a new computer, and because they are all in their own folder structure, they never get overwritten in Cakewalk updates.

Track Templates ROCK - have a blast with them, they are insanely powerful, and great time and effort savers.

Bob Bone

• Like 1