IK tape machine finally !!

Zo

1 hour ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Pros: I've used each of the 4 models on 2 bus/ mixes only. Each has something to offer w/ different characteristics (punchy, warm, smooth ) they sound excellent & include a handy set of features. ( minus wow+flutter)

Cons:

-1.5 GB installer + Custom Shop

-High cpu, 192kHz internal sampling (I'd like to see an oversampling option for tracking/ mixing included. CbB has the up-sample feature on render so no problem there)

-Gui is difficult to work with/ read, needs refinement.

Overall a fine  product: features, sound quality. At $99.00 good value.  Will be testing them against the others I have & on more material, instruments, tracks & buses.

Since it s T racks , resizeable , right ?

For everybody to note... Sorry that I provided some incorrect info and was corrected by our devs. The internal magnetic recording physical model works at 384 kHz, not 192.

This explains why these emulations sound so accurate. As many here know, analog tape recorders work with a signal that linearises the tape medium (this is simplifying, I know), and the frequency of this signal is always well outside the audio band (for example on the Studer it is 150 kHz). To allow the physical model to run the internal sampling rate can’t be lower than the double of that or this and the true characteristics of the tape machine could not be replicated with authenticity.

This increases CPU load, of course, but as stated above it is the only way to faithfully reproduce what the tape machine/recorder does.  Yes, there are already tons of “tape saturators”, but we didn’t wanted to make another one of those. The T-RackS Tape Machine Collection plug-ins are a true digital replica of what happens on the real system as a whole.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

For everybody to note... Sorry that I provided some incorrect info and was corrected by our devs. The internal magnetic recording physical model works at 384 kHz, not 192.

The T-RackS Tape Machine Collection plug-ins are a true digital replica of what happens on the real system as a whole.

Thanks for the clarification. You or someone mentioned this is also using a form of convolution as well. Is it in anyway similar the Vectorial Volterra Kernels Technology (VKKT) used by Acustica audio? That's how they sample the hardware's entire signal path & not just an eq curve with added distortion or saturation like most algo's.

I'm guessing it isn't since I can drive the inputs really hard unlike AA's. Can you tell us anymore about the process used?

They sound excellent, congrats on the release.

Yes, it is a combination of convolution and modeling but I can't really pull back the covers in greater detail than that and what I have already posted.  However, you should be able to drive these as hard as the real machines with very accurate results because they are truly about as close as you'll get to recording through the whole signal path of one of these tape machines as you'll find anywhere.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Will be testing them against the others I have

Wondering how they match up to Waves tape emulations. Do you have the Waves tape plugins?

I may d/l the demo next week and check it out.  

2 hours ago, Grem said:

Wondering how they match up to Waves tape emulations. Do you have the Waves tape plugins?

I may d/l the demo next week and check it out.  

Waves j 37 is really a great one and one of their best work you should definitly try i t and take your time with it since you have so many combinaisons .... of settings ;)  

2 hours ago, Zo said:

Waves j 37 is really a great one and one of their best work

Agree 100% on this. I have it and was really impressed from the start.

And if the new IK Tape Emu's are better than that.... that's pretty d**n good!!

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Ô k. after tests it s officially better ....

• Like 3

I still remember my dissapointment with the sound change when I moved on from tape casettes to mp3 players. It was much more convenient in use but the sound was clearly thin and much less sweet.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 2

I'm with ya on that Larry. But the way I use the J37 is I keep the noise to the very minimum. It's the response after feeding the signal into the machine that I like. I don't use wow and flutter much either. Same way woith AR Vinyl. Don't add much of the clicks or noise, just like feeding the signal through. (And I love just playing around with that slowdown button!!)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cclarry said:

Crazy that we couldn't wait to get "all digital" and eliminate "noise"...and spent fortunes to 
do it!  NOW we are spending fortunes to get BACK to where we were trying to get away
from!

I'm just happy we still don't have to perform maintenance or have machines break down in the middle of the night (and that DAWs do not require razor blades for edits)/ 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Grem said:

THE COMPRESSION and transient handling is impressive on those ... upsampling helps , but not only ...