Arturia Augmented STRINGS Intro Free

Carlos  Iglesias

Heh, I'm still running an i7-950 from 2009. 

I'm able to run any single VST without issue, including everything else from Arturia, NI, Izotope, etc.. Can typically run everything un-frozen in my moderate-sized projects (30 tracks, maybe 10 synths, several instances of my amp modeler of choice, a couple of Nectar 3's, Ozone 9, etc.) as long as I'm in max-latency (1024 samples) mode on my Focusrite. Though I usually keep everything frozen as I go so that I can keep recording guitar parts in lowish latency (160 samples @ 44.1).

The only exception is Massive X - which insists on some additional instruction set that the Intel processors picked up a few generations later. 

Haven't tried this thing yet, but if it's really the CPU Hog that folks are saying, well, that seems like poor optimization unless it's doing something truly incredible under the lid. Can certainly live without it if so.

• Like 1

Generally speaking, it's probably a good idea to refresh your tech at least every 5 years, especially if you wish to keep up with cutting edge software development.

Not that there's anything wrong with holding out and trying to squeeze everything out of what you have invested in. Believe me, I have been there, and have been building my own PC's for over 20 years on a budget. But eventually you have to pay the price for progress...

Especially with virtual instruments. Every new generation is much more CPU hungry than the last one! It is, what it is! :)

Edited by abacab

The Arturia hardware synths don't have VST emulations in the V Collection, and the Analog Lab only represents virtual instruments that are actually in the collection.

The hardware has downloadable sounds available, and the Polybrute even has a software editor/librarian that runs on your computer. But they are entirely separate from Analog Lab.

13 hours ago, Fleer said:

Made do with my last laptop (MacBook Pro i7 2.6) from 2012 to last month. Had no complaints. 

I replaced my computers in 2000 (Pentium 1 to Pentium 3), 2006 (Pentium 3 to Pentium 4, 3.0GHz), 2014 (Pentium 4 to Core i3, 3.4 GHz), and 2020 (Core i3 to Core i5-9600K, six cores at 3.7GHz to 4.6GHz).

These were all home builds, on a budget, with consideration for needs vs. power, and a desire to built something useful for my needs to last at least 5 years.

This last stretch of "make-do" between upgrades was with a CPU that was released in 2012, starting life on Windows 7 32-bit, then upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit in 2016. I struggled with CPU load for VST's for a while towards the end, especially after I upgraded to Win 10.

It is much more fun to run a computer without constantly having to "manage" the load! :)

Lifecycles... I stretched things a bit to 6-8 years a couple of times, but felt a bit underpowered after about 5 years both of those times.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2