Arturia Augmented STRINGS Intro Free

Carlos  Iglesias

19 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

This sounds really nice.  It goes beyond simply string sounds.

However, I have been seeing some of the pads go over 55% CPU on my machine.

I went through the samples in standalone and didn't check. But I added a couple of instances to a mix last night and they were coming in around 7-10% per instance, so not so bad for a VI I thought.  If if gets too bad later on, I'll just render them.

• Like 1

I took a first look at the CPU usage for Augmented Strings in Cakewalk, using the Windows task manager, and compared it with the Engine Load in Cakewalk Performance.

One thing jumped right out at me immediately! My NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 was running at 30-40% just idling with the Augmented Strings GUI open. The plugin audio process seemed to be done by one core, and another core seemed to be used by a graphics rendering thread, using around 50% of a single core!

However just by closing the plugin window, my GPU dropped back to a more normal 2%, and the CPU core supporting that also dropped back to baseline.

The audio engine load seemed to average around 10% at idle, but jumped to 20-30% during playback. So performance would probably depend on how your graphics are configured with integrated or discrete GPU, and how fast your CPU is.

This thing sounds great, even with the GUI closed! But it's fairly obvious to me that there is quite a hardware price to pay for Arturia's latest pretty graphics! :)

• Great Idea 1

I just took a another look at CPU performance using Augmented Strings, this time in standalone mode.

It's about the same here as with the plugin, just without the DAW overhead. Big difference though is with minimizing the GUI to the taskbar, the graphics process keeps running full blast until you exit the standalone instrument.

• Thanks 1

In the settings one can turn the animations off. I have not tested to see what effect this has on resources, but it would seem like a good thing to do if you are having issues.

Another concern is it seems to dump all the sample content to the C drive,  I did not see any option to choose a location. (correct me if I am wrong.)  This could become an issue for a lot of people if there are more product in this range.

It does sound good!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

30 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Wouldn’t a GUI stress the GPU more than the CPU?

Not going to make a difference if your GPU is integrated into your CPU. The work is all being handled by the CPU.

My CPU was handling it fine because my discrete GPU was working hard at 40% load, so in my case you are correct.