MIDI ROUTING WITH MTUNER

Milton Sica

Would anyone know how to route the MTUNER midi?

The plugin documentation describes it this way.

MIDI output panel contains parameters of the integrated audio->MIDI converter. You can use it by accessing the plugin's MIDI output. Please refer to your host's documentation for details about MIDI routing.

image.png.3a5cd48531c75c7cf523f6907fffe71e.png

I played with this several months ago when exploring audio to MIDI conversion using MTuner.  I don't remember all of the details but MTuner has some settings to fine tune sensitivity. Personally, I would encourage others to play around and share results, strategies, etc.  I have been wanting to explore more myself.  I recall seeing @Starship Krupa mentioning this. 

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I have a few options for audio to midi. 
I own a Godin guitar with midi built in via my Roland GR50. The latency  is zero if you play the sounds of the GR50 but substantial if you trigger a soft synth. I haven’t used it in years. 

I also played with Midiguitar app but it’s tracking was no match for the GR50 rig.  And it’s not free. it can be made to work better with some fuss. I haven’t used it in years. 

What works flawlessly is Melodyne 5.  I use it a lot. I only have single track version but plan on upgrading next sale in the fall. 

The MTuner will have the single track limitation and be fussy to set up but I guess an free option for people who don’t own Melodyne 5. 

Melodyne is quickly becoming my main tool for audio editing. I have recently discovered the other tools beyond just pitch correction. Those are the timing  and the amplitude tools. You basically can work with audio just like you work with Midi. 

Cakewalk is free and very powerful 

Cakewalk with a full version of Melodyne built in is not free, but still about what most DAWS will cost without Melodyne. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, sadicus said:

This looks interesting, Will you explain a use case for this and Do you place the MTuner on the MIDI track?

Hello.
Usage is quite simple.
1 - Include MTuner in an AUDIO track with the solution's image settings.
2 - Include a synthesizer.
3 - Configures the synthesizer input for the MTuner that will appear in the input list.
4 - The result of each generation is improved using Mtuner settings. There is documentation that can be accessed directly from the plugin.

I've mainly used it to generate some melodic lines with my own voice for strings, guitar solos, etc.

• Like 1

I have used MIDI guitar since Roland GR-1. Tracking and Per string mute is my endless quest for Guitar to MIDI and the GI-20 works best with my Godin for real-time performance, but looks like Melodyne 5 (and others) are being used after the audio is recorded to clean up all the typical MIDI glitches?

I never had any luck with converting vocals to midi and  would like a demo or tutorial on how to get that process to work.
sounds cool, Might need to start another thread for that!

• hardware Roland GI-20 (per string mute)
  • hardware Axon (per string mute)
  • imitone
  • Melodyne 5

• Like 1

Melodyne seems to work with Bass and guitar and even a Dobro. Tracking is very close with just random octave jumps.

I've never tried my voice, I guess because for me it's easier to play a melody on the piano or guitar. 

I am going to try the M tuner when I have a chance because I'm always game for cool & free ways to do things. 

Edited by John Vere

Thursday I plugged in a mic to try MTuner.  I am not a singer/vocalist, so my pitches were all over the place.  MTuner was very clear about that!!! 😛  I put further exploration on the back burner.  The recent discussion reminded me of something I tried a while ago--trying to reproduce with my mouth frequency-stable sinusoidal waves in a software oscilloscope.  

So now I am wondering what can be done in real time with vocals to make it easier for the pitch to midi conversion to be as accurate as possible with MTuner, possibly isolating the fundamental / filtering overtones (like I did I by shaping my mouth and vocal cavity but with plug-ins), etc.

Just throwing this out there because others seem to be interested as am I.  

If you start a new thread, I could move my comments, but I think the discussion is a logical continuation of Milton's post--from (1) the mechanics of how to set up the routing to get Audio -> MTuner -> midi -> synth working to (2a) how to process the audio going into MTuner and (2b) how to make use of MTuner's settings and possibly (3) how to make use of other MPlugins in the chain to get desired converted midi effects.

Edited by User 905133
Finished the sentence I had started before I hit submit prematurely!
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Thursday I plugged in a mic to try MTuner.  I am not a singer/vocalist, so my pitches were all over the place.  MTuner was very clear about that!!! 😛  I put further exploration on the back burner.  The recent discussion reminded me of something I tried a while ago--trying to reproduce with my mouth frequency-stable sinusoidal waves in a software oscilloscope.  

So now I am wondering what can be done in real time with vocals to make it easier for the pitch to midi conversion to be as accurate as possible with MTuner, possibly isolating the fundamental / filtering overtones (like I did I by shaping my mouth and vocal cavity but with plug-ins), etc.

Just throwing this out there because others seem to be interested as am I.  

If you start a new thread, I could move my comments, but I think the discussion is a logical continuation of Milton's post--from (1) the mechanics of how to set up the routing to get Audio -> MTuner -> midi -> synth working to (2a) how to process the audio going into MTuner and (2b) how to make use of MTuner's settings and possibly (3) how to make use of other MPlugins in the chain to get desired converted midi effects.

The manual is very complete about using MTuner.

For my part, I got better results working on reducing or increasing treeshold.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/download/documentation/MTuner.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:39 AM, John Vere said:

I didn't realize it can do pitch to midi in real time. I guess why not!

And yet another of the endless examples of Meldaproduction FX having crazy deep features to discover. And it's part of the FreeFX Bundle!

I've only messed about with it to see how it worked. I think I only tried it in mono, but since MTuner is polyphonic, I wondered whether the polyphony is available on the MIDI out.

@Milton Sica, is there a reason you're using v. 14.2 instead of the current release, v. 15.2? 15 was a pretty big update, with the addition of the "user-friendly" device UI's along with the usual optimizations and feature extensions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

And yet another of the endless examples of Meldaproduction FX having crazy deep features to discover. And it's part of the FreeFX Bundle!

I've only messed about with it to see how it worked. I think I only tried it in mono, but since MTuner is polyphonic, I wondered whether the polyphony is available on the MIDI out.

@Milton Sica, is there a reason you're using v. 14.2 instead of the current release, v. 15.2? 15 was a pretty big update, with the addition of the "user-friendly" device UI's along with the usual optimizations and feature extensions.

Hello. I was using 14 and I also migrated to 15 which, from what I've seen, already has more parameters and settings.
I didn't test with polyphonics. Only with my voice, because I found it interesting to make some "phrases" in the arrangements of my songs that, sometimes, as I'm not a great keyboard player, made it easy for me.
This is how I generate the "basic melodic line" with the voice. Even though the migration to MIDI wasn't 100% correct, then it became easier for me to make the edits on the Piano Roll.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

How are you able to edit this in the piano roll? I only know how to have MTUNER use 'midi out' and the Instrument use 'midi in' (from MTUNER Omni) to control the pitches, but not how to send the midi to an actual piano roll.

Thanks.

Not an urgent request.

2 hours ago, Jetstream said:

How are you able to edit this in the piano roll? I only know how to have MTUNER use 'midi out' and the Instrument use 'midi in' (from MTUNER Omni) to control the pitches, but not how to send the midi to an actual piano roll.

Thanks.

Not an urgent request.

Hi, I'm not sure I understand your question very well.

Come on !

When you use Mtuner as a MIDI output, it can be inserted as an input to a MIDI track.

Just follow the steps I gave above. Recording on the track is done from there.

Then, just edit the notes on the piano roll the same way you do with other MIDI instruments.