Windows Spinning Start Circle on Cakewalk Start Screen -- Fixed!

henkejs

When I start Cakewalk, but before I've opened a project, the blue Windows start circle starts spinning and won't stop no mater how long the screen is open. While it's spinning, the Windows Task Manager shows a lot of CPU activity and a small amount of disk activity for the Cakewalk process. Both will continue until I open a project, then everything settles down as soon as the project finishes loading. I thought at first Cakewalk might be running a VST scan, but automatic scans are disabled. Another odd symptom: if I leave Cakewalk open on the start screen while I switch to a web browser or a media player, I can't run any kind of video while the start circle is spinning in Cakewalk. Other applications run fine.

I think this behavior started with the last Cakewalk update, at least I don't remember seeing it before. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering what Cakewalk is doing while it's waiting for me to select a project and why it's preventing videos from running.

Edited by henkejs
Update title

21 hours ago, henkejs said:

Yes I have the spinning blue circle if cakewalk and any other video/audio is open. I don’t have it on the startup only if 2 audio users are open. I have followed the suggestions and settings in every thread here about other video/ audio wont work with cakewalk open with no success. But i also have the spinning blue circle along with not working which you are the first to mention. I have not 

17 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

anti-virus is disabled for cakewalk?

so will try this. 

Edited by treesha

18 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

anti-virus is disabled for cakewalk?

I looked to confirm the .exe was on the AV exception list. Then I decided to look at the processes that start up with Cakewalk. There were three instances of cakewalkstartscreen.exe running, so I added that file to the AV exception list. That did nothing to cure the perpetually spinning start circle problem. Now I'm wondering why Cakewalk needs to start three instances of cakewalkstartscreen.exe.

I have this issues also which appeared after last update, I have tried complete un-install re-install 

anti-virus not an issue for me anyways but yea blue circle spins will not load fully

looking at task manger appears to be a process causes a huge cpu spike at start up when I start a new project however 

was able to get a previously saved project to load and function with in that project 

could not find anything in Event viewer still looking 

8 minutes ago, henkejs said:

Now I'm wondering why Cakewalk needs to start three instances of cakewalkstartscreen.exe.

The start screen is multi-threaded. When three processes are showing, there is only one instance of the start screen running.

2 minutes ago, scook said:

The start screen is multi-threaded. When three processes are showing, there is only one instance of the start screen running.

OK, I'll ignore the start screen processes. The spinning start circle is still a problem, though. It makes the mouse pointer sluggish, probably from the heavy CPU draw while Cakewalk is waiting for me to select a project.

36 minutes ago, scook said:

Capturing a hang dump might help 

May also want to try opening a project instead of just launching the DAW.

If the DAW opens, check the folder the media browser is opening for zip files. 

Thanks for the suggestions. Double-clicking a project name opens the project OK. There are no zip files in the media browser folder or subfolders. Finally, Cakewalk rarely hangs completely for me, though it often displays "unresponsive" briefly while opening a project. Next time I get a hang, I'll use procdump to generate a minidump file.

1 hour ago, Andrew Markham said:

I may just roll back update for now so I can use it was not an issues before update there's a rollback link if your still having issues

I rolled back to the previous update just now and that didn't fix the problem.

• Thanks 1

ok , so I decided to completely re-install Windows 10, to see if a fresh install would do the trick be sided I needed to badly 

cleanup my computer, after the re-install I ran all the windows update, Bios update, hardware drivers updates, re-installed Cakewalk 

at first still presented the same issues Found I didnt have audio interface drivers configure correctly and also ASIO4ALL was also appearing to 

be an issues I first set settings to  see cakewalk images which seems to be working now then I added My Behringer Audio interface with correct drivers 

see image and now seems everything is working as it should loading properly not really sure what was really causing the issues 

I am also working with cakewalk support to troubleshoot further

cakewalk.PNG

cakewalk1.PNG

Behringer.PNG

Behringer1.PNG

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

What work for me was removing the Realtek ASIO driver from the Windows registry. This Realtek ASIO driver is known to cause issues. After removing it I was finally able to select my Behringer ASIO driver in Cakewalk and the blue spinning circle went away. I hope this helps someone.  https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206633450-How-to-delete-old-ASIO-device-entries

• 7 months later...

Re-installing the Focusrite Control (Focusrite Control - 3.6.0.1822_0.exe here in July 2023) worked for me. I had the issue both when opening with no project and when opening with a project. Cakewalk would take a couple of minutes with the spinning blue circle before the information panels would start displaying and the start screen or the project would open.

12 minutes ago, John Deacon said:

Re-installing the Focusrite Control (Focusrite Control - 3.6.0.1822_0.exe here in July 2023) worked for me. I had the issue both when opening with no project and when opening with a project. Cakewalk would take a couple of minutes with the spinning blue circle before the information panels would start displaying and the start screen or the project would open.

Although MIDIOX saw these as new devices and I had to re-do my profiles. Take screen shots if you use MIDIOX and are about to change drivers.