Get Your Hearing Back? Maybe.

bitflipper

Some smart fellows at MIT are testing a drug that encourages the regrowth of cochlear cilia, the little nerve endings in your inner ear that sense sound. They tend to die off when abused by loud sounds, and don't naturally regenerate. It starts with the ones near the front that react to high frequencies. We all know about that. It used to be called "age-related hearing loss", but we now know that it's not caused by aging, but by long-term exposure to this noisy world.

If you are in the Boston area, they are seeking volunteers for the next trial (link to apply in the article).

https://scitechdaily.com/mit-scientists-develop-new-regenerative-drug-that-reverses-hearing-loss/

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Look at the bright side. You're close to Mexico. Which is where you'll have to go for the treatment since here it'll be $100,000 and your insurance won't cover it.

Things have changed somewhat in that regard ... 

For example, insurance will pay for an experimental stem cell replacement for the deteriorating bones in my hip. They take your own cells, refine them somehow, and needle them back in directly to the bone. They caught it early enough to where I am a "viable candidate". I was shocked when it was presented to me and told insurance now covers such things.

This is great news about MIT. I figured it would be some kind of neural implant but this is better. I knew it would just be a matter of time and I'm glad to see some progress in our lifetimes.

• Like 1

You're injecting a substance that makes nerves grow.  Now, wouldn't it be cool if the treatment was somehow too good, like those fertility drugs that make women have septuplets, and the ear treatment left you with superpowers, like being able to hear bats and dolphins?

We'd have to start mixing at 384KHz because we'd miss those upper upper highs in the crash cymbal tail. Not to mention having to buy some of those previously-ridiculed speakers with their 30KHz supertweeters, and expensive 40KHz Earthworks microphones to capture those frequencies.

Or, it could go the other way and we'd be kept up at night by the sound of whales singing and distant earthquakes.

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Or, it could go the other way and we'd be kept up at night by the sound of whales singing and distant earthquakes.

"The least thing upsets him on the links. He missed short putts because of the uproar of butterflies in the adjoining meadows."

-P.G. Wodehouse

Woah ! it looks like a few somebody's around these parts have taken a long hard beating to the head with the ugly stick !

It was only in the last 10 seconds of the fight during the 15 Th round when the guy in the top  pic was finally able to wrestle it away ...

Exhibit A ,image.png.fb826f1ad74105ba570e24dae745d8b7.png                          

Exhibit B ,

2062859690_longestearhair.jpg.dae1e7be5d5b83edd75d5e37f137a30a.jpg

I don't know which of these two is uglier.  Exhibit A ? or Exhibit B? 

It seems Ole Bubba Skinner !  has finally seen and heard it all .

06f9a518aa835e560ded8627573d4fa3--alan-a

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Hold on a sec, my wife is yelling something and I can't hear her.

That is one of the few benefits of not being able to hear. We've actually got in to some good ones about that. LOL.

It's especially bad in stores like Lowe's and other places that have the big fans going on the ceilings for the ventilation systems. Any consistent background noise like road noise while driving, the ventilation system fans in stores, and I can't hear a thing. It all becomes and jumbled unintelligible mess.

Yet I can hear 1 specific group of frequencies that is out of place while mixing and spend hours trying to set the their proper dB levels so they sit good in the mix. Funny how that works isn't it. The background noise problem is actually caused by nerve damage (in my case from chronic ear infections) and I don't think re-growing the tiny hairs would help that. But it's a start for sure and I'm certain they are working on that too.

• Like 1

My left Ossicles is nearly gone from an inner ear infection. I've had two operations on the left side and after the last one my Dr. told me she was going to just rip out the remains but decided to leave it in and it's a miricle that I can actually hear at all. That was 30 years ago. All things considered I am grateful for what little I can hear on that side.

As the saying goes I'm nearly deaf in one ear and can't hear sh!te in the other.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:33 AM, Shane_B. said:

It's especially bad in stores like Lowe's and other places that have the big fans going on the ceilings for the ventilation systems. Any consistent background noise like road noise while driving, the ventilation system fans in stores, and I can't hear a thing. It all becomes and jumbled unintelligible mess.

Yet I can hear 1 specific group of frequencies that is out of place while mixing and spend hours trying to set the their proper dB levels so they sit good in the mix. Funny how that works isn't it. The background noise problem is actually caused by nerve damage (in my case from chronic ear infections) and I don't think re-growing the tiny hairs would help that. But it's a start for sure and I'm certain they are working on that too.

You and me Bub (erm Shane) , you and me.