What is the name of this term in Cakeland? (the wall)

Starship Krupa

Question

It's in every DAW, some call it "zero" or "the wall." The far left boundary of the timeline, beyond which you can't drag anything, yada yada. Don't say "Track Header," because the Track Header (or the Audio Scale, depending) is what is immediately to the left of it. What's it called in the Cakeverse?

image.png.77fcb295061b483bccf5885506d4d2da.png

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The Track View splitter.

Or Measure 1.   I would say it depends on the perspective or the reference.   What do you want to accomplish?

If you are trying to direct someone to return the "Now" Header - I would say Measure 1  (Or RTZ [return to zero])

If you are placing your "Now Header" to measure 1 - use Ctrl-Home or "W"

If you are adjusting the "Track View" width, then you could say "Track View Splitter"

What is it that you are asking about - I find the question a bit ambiguous because I'm not understanding what you are referencing.  What I mean is are you saying where the pointer position is (as in measure 1.01.00) ?  Or are referring to the layout of the track view windows (as in track, track controls or Track Inspector).  I tried looking up your references to "The Wall" or "Zero".   And I could only find "Zero" as in "Zero" would be Measure 1.

Just curious . . .

Syphus

I always called those the view dividers. You get a different mouse pointer when your on any divider. Double arrow with an equal sign. 

And there can be things hiding in them as well, Like the Buss Pane at the bottom, the Video view at the top and the Show Audio scale in the track header/pane divider shown here. 

But if what you are asking is what the extreme left of the track pane is called I call it 1:1:00 or Zero for short. The wall doesn't really fit as to me a wall is something you run into, not away from! 

It's too bad the Help module is missing a lot of items that could easily be added. I'm always searching for correct names for the tutorials and some like this one are elusive. Most time if you point the mouse at something the help module will tell you what it is and even sometimes have a link to the documentation. It would be cool if they expanded on this so that everything had the link. 

Screenshot (383)_LI.jpg

Edited by John Vere

17 hours ago, Syphus said:

What is it that you are asking about - I find the question a bit ambiguous because I'm not understanding what you are referencing.  What I mean is are you saying where the pointer position is (as in measure 1.01.00) ?

Yes, that's what I meant. Not what the graphical element is called, but rather the position. I apologize for not making that clearer and I thank everyone who responded.

As in if I say "insert 2 measures at 1:01:00" Or "drag those clips to 1:01:00" I was wondering if there were a more colloquial term for "1:01:00." Nomenclature if you will.

If I were to say "the beginning of the timeline" would that be accurate and understood? That's the basic issue, I just want to use the term that's most likely to be understood by other users of the program.

I thought it might be "zero," due to the "RTZ" function, but really, there is no "zero," Cakewalk's timeline starts with "1:01:00."

(I don't care for "the Wall" either, because to me, that's when my system has run out of resources to process audio. It "hits the wall" and I better either start freezing those synth tracks or change up what instrument I'm using. The only source I've heard it from was a friend of mine whose DAW is Pro Tools. He may have made it up himself for all I know, but he taught me a lot about using DAW's.)

It seems Cakewalk calls it Start.  But references to Zero are included as RTZ ( return to zero ) 

Now time Displays "0"  in all formats

160047763_Screenshot(386).png.e33a9bb809827be8c3955801599c2112.png750978911_Screenshot(387).png.691fdb8f2431cc8f587301e7fb773bb8.png1747007048_Screenshot(388).png.c409ef69eeede5ab14fde94c86b0a214.png

M:B:T is the only one that 1:01:00 is equal to Zero (0) 

1437043575_Screenshot(389).png.04b4864d370ae49e9a392b0d619233c4.png

In the documentation it seems to always call this Start and then (RTZ) in brackets.  

606575883_Screenshot(391).png.b21b5dc762ecf409c9b7cbf7bb6d91e5.png

The tool tip box shows " Go to Start"  

1563853436_Screenshot(390)_LI.jpg.e05af7c7951ea18410fd73b4c6c59688.jpg

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yes, that's what I meant. Not what the graphical element is called, but rather the position. I apologize for not making that clearer and I thank everyone who responded.

Ok.  I personally would expect to use "Measure" coordinates (or what is reflected on the time line - you can reference H:M:S:F (SMPTE) or samples or milliseconds).

SO I think that the deal would be what time reference you would choose between the corresponding parties (collaborators).  Most time it would be "M:B:T" (measures) and that should be good enough in most situations.   If you need finer granularity, you could use one of the others.   But I digress . . .

I would refer to the starting point as "Measure 1".   The other way would be to just say "zero" if that is the target (01:01:00).  The parties involved should agree that that is the terminology to use.  Or say you were writing something as in directions for doing some procedure, just sate at the beginning what the reference point is.

I know that this does not answer your question, but since there is not a real term (such as zero or wall), I would say Zero wins out as it is the most descriptive.  Until Cakewalk changes (or offers as an option) a way of changing the starting point (measure 0 for instance) - zero is zero no matter what time standard you are using.

That's my opinion - I hope that helps.  If we were working together, I would expect "M:B:T" (Measures:Beats:Ticks)  - That is the standard since the beginning of midi (Cakewalk).

Syphus

Edited by Syphus
  • Like 1