Inspector MIDI Chorus & Reverb Qs

sjoens

29 minutes ago, sjoens said:

1. Are they for GM synths only? 

Not exclusively. They send out CC 93  ( Which is defined in the MIDI spec as Chorus or Effects #3 Depth ) and CC 91 ( External effects, or Effects #1 depth in the MIDI spec ).  

36 minutes ago, sjoens said:

2. If not, can I access my pre-GM synth's settings with them, and how?

I guess it depends on the synth.  If they're respond to CC 91 / 93 for effects control, then yes, otherwise no.

If they don't respond to CC 91/93, you can use assignable controls instead.  First check "Show Assignable Controls":

image.png.565c5475e3a39734ced8aba0fdcdea69.png

You then have 4 slider controls to re-assign/play with:

image.png.bbfb0c652bbfd3e6b13b4ccc13241b4c.png

Cool! Is there more documentation on this somewhere?

My synth MIDI chart says Tx & Rx control change is 1-95 but only lists 1, 4, 7, 71, 72, 100, 101, and says "programmable".

My XG Yamaha synth MIDI chart lists 91, 93-94 among others & it already responds to the Inspector controls.

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

My synth MIDI chart says Tx & Rx control change is 1-95 but only lists 1, 4, 7, 71, 72, 100, 101, and says "programmable".

In terms of hardware synths, some have CCs hard coded to specific synth engine parameters as msmcleod noted while other hardware synths have an open architecture allowing many/most CCs to be assigned to any available parameter.  Usually the manufacturer's documentation spelled all this out.  Some software synths also spell this out, too. 

In addition, with hardware different controllers (knobs, buttons, sliders, pedals, etc.) can be mapped to different CCs.   

Some software synths allow users to map incoming controllers/parameters to different functions/parameters;  some are "hard coded." Some manufacturers have been good about making MIDI implementation easily available; some have been meticulous in the details they provide; some have even made it easy to understand.  While the basic MIDI Implementation sheet is a good starting point, the additional documentation can be invaluable. 

Mapping CCs to parameters can be done in different places along the data route, including (as msmcleod noted) within a DAW. Other software along the data route can also be used.

Edited by User 905133