Connecting Keylab 61MKII to Cakewalk

Tim Smith

@msmcleod  modified a version of the Mackie MCU script that allows you to use multiple Mackie controllers. My understanding of this is unless you need multiple controllers at the same time the script probably isn't necessary. I have the link for it from an older post HERE

To connect to the Keylab 61 MKII you will need to use MCU mode on the MKII.

Next go to EDIT>Preferences>MIDI> Devices -Select MIDIOUT (Keylab mkII 61) in outputs and MIDIIN2 (Keylab mkII61)  from the devices list.

Still under MIDI> Control surfaces, click on the yellow new devices icon located in the upper right and select Mackie Control.

Go to Utilities menu. Third from right along the top of Cakewalk. Utilities>Mackie Control 1. Check the "disable handshake" box. Name and save your preset in presets box.

TIP- Running fader to 100% grabs fader in software

TIP- Faders are controlled in CONSOLE VIEW

TIP- Pre arm track you want to record. Record button operates main record function

TIP-Metronome button operates loop mode instead of metronome

After tracks are selected with buttons underneath each fader on MKII mute and solo will work as marked. Panning and faders work on all tracks in console view.

I haven't been able to get master fader to respond, however this is no big issue for me since I don't play with the master fader usually while mixing. I have not been able to make the scrubber wheel work. Punch in/Punch out not working.

Midi tracks input with all external input selected on individual tracks.

-Tim

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

I recently heard Cakewalk is making some changes to Mackie control in Cakewalk in an upcoming update.

If true, this may add improvements for control.

Yes, definitely check out the upcoming release of Cakewalk for the new Mackie protocol options for control surface. A few early access testers said that they were able to get much better compatibility with some controllers they had struggled with using Cakewalk.

I plan to test out my Arturia KeyLab II with the new Cakewalk release.

Mackie control surface improvements in 22.06 Early Access:

• The Mackie Control surface includes several new enhancements.
  • New compatibility modes
  • In addition to the recommended Cakewalk/SONAR mode, the Mackie Control surface now supports two extra emulation modes that can be used if your control surface does not provide a dedicated Cakewalk/SONAR mode:
  • Mackie Control Universal (Universal Mode). Emulates Mackie’s default button layout.
  • Mackie Control Universal (Cubase Mode). Emulates Mackie’s Cubase/Nuendo button layout.

See thread here:

Edited by abacab

17 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yes, definitely check out the upcoming release of Cakewalk for the new Mackie protocol options for control surface. A few early access testers said that they were able to get much better compatibility with some controllers they had struggled with using Cakewalk.

I plan to test out my Arturia KeyLab II with the new Cakewalk release.

Mackie control surface improvements in 22.06 Early Access:

• The Mackie Control surface includes several new enhancements.
  • New compatibility modes
  • In addition to the recommended Cakewalk/SONAR mode, the Mackie Control surface now supports two extra emulation modes that can be used if your control surface does not provide a dedicated Cakewalk/SONAR mode:
  • Mackie Control Universal (Universal Mode). Emulates Mackie’s default button layout.
  • Mackie Control Universal (Cubase Mode). Emulates Mackie’s Cubase/Nuendo button layout.

See thread here:

Big LIKE!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1