This is old news, but I just remembered...

bitflipper

50 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

...all the old Audio Damage plugins are now free. I grabbed Ricochet, Fluid, Liquid and Vapor. Nothing earth-shaking there, just a bunch of solid, usable effects.

From someone who knows how to use them (you) to someone who really doesn't (me), is there anything you think would be worthwhile? That is, something easy to use for someone not savvy on effects to fairly easily get decent results?  

I've been starting to experiment with a bunch of effects lately and it's been eye opening creatively,  but I'm learning little by little. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

21 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

From someone who knows how to use them (you) to someone who really doesn't (me), is there anything you think would be worthwhile? That is, something easy to use for someone not savvy on effects to fairly easily get decent results?  

I've been starting to experiment with a bunch of effects lately and it's been eye opening creatively,  but I'm learning little by little. Thanks in advance. 

As someone who literally learned what a DAW is around this time two years ago, I don't qualify to answer the original question.

But if the experience of a fellow "not-knower" helps at all, I did try out the Dr. Device filter plugin for the first time on a track this week. It was pretty intuitive, comes with some nifty presets (some extreme-ish, others not) and a lot of fun to play with. I dialed what I was looking for in, more or less, without too much drama.

The little balls in the XY interface were really cool to fiddle with, though one small word of warning (unless there's an easier path in the manual I admittedly didn't read, if it exists): you can "grab" each ball with a mouse click, then send it off at a desired direction and speed with a click release. But if you accidentally send it off at *lightning* speed, it's very difficult to grab again. And all your audio will sound like woo-woo cross-panning ambulance sirens in the meantime, if you have any modulation hooked up to the axes while you're desperately trying to recapture the bouncing ball.

Your mileage will probably vary. I'm just not very bright.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zolton said:

As someone who literally learned what a DAW is around this time two years ago, I don't qualify to answer the original question.

But if the experience of a fellow "not-knower" helps at all, I did try out the Dr. Device filter plugin for the first time on a track this week. It was pretty intuitive, comes with some nifty presets (some extreme-ish, others not) and a lot of fun to play with. I dialed what I was looking for in, more or less, without too much drama.

The little balls in the XY interface were really cool to fiddle with, though one small word of warning (unless there's an easier path in the manual I admittedly didn't read, if it exists): you can "grab" each ball with a mouse click, then send it off at a desired direction and speed with a click release. But if you accidentally send it off at *lightning* speed, it's very difficult to grab again. And all your audio will sound like woo-woo cross-panning ambulance sirens in the meantime, if you have any modulation hooked up to the axes while you're desperately trying to recapture the bouncing ball.

Your mileage will probably vary. I'm just not very bright.

Thanks, @Zolton, I appreciate your sharing that, it was very kind of you.  I'm going to give Dr Device a spin.

• Like 1

I've got gobs of chorus plugins, which is odd because it's not an effect that I use often. But when I throw one on and it works, I always wonder why I didn't think of it immediately.  And even though they all work on exactly the same principle, each of them has a distinct character,  which is why I've accumulated a collection. Fluid just adds one more. On bright synth tones it sounds very 80's to me, reminiscent of the old Electric Mistress stompbox I used to use back in the day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

...is there anything you think would be worthwhile? That is, something easy to use for someone not savvy on effects to fairly easily get decent results?  

I haven't tried them all, as many of them are clearly meant for more electronic-sounding styles that aren't my thing. But the ones I have used have all had plain and logical UIs that were simple to figure out. Even the ones that offer more than meets the eye, such as Ricochet, a multi-tap delay whose basic functionality is immediately obvious but which can still surprise you.

If there's one plugin that you can use right out of the box and get nice results, I'd recommend the aforementioned Fluid. Try it on synth pads, background vocals, rhythm guitar - anything that can afford to get smudged.

• Thanks 2