Roland V-Studio 20 help needed

Douglas Winning

Question

Hi,

I’m in desperate need of help or/and advice. Hopefully someone will notice this plea and advise or give me some answers.

I recently sold a second hand Roland V- Studio 20 product with complete software and booklets and manual.

the person who purchased it from me decided that it was not working like he wanted it to so then demanded a refund…and sent the following reason for the request….

“…You advertised with cakewalk, however you cannot register with cakewalk anymore via Roland/Gibson or bandlab, therefore you cannot get a registration for access to an mp3 encoder for exporting mp3 files for full functionality of the hardware/software.” 

It seems it was registered to another account and email address.

He goes onto state that Roland…Cakewalk/ Bandlab have told him the following…

”The system revolving around the activation of products has been decommissioned some time ago. Legacy registration information refers to any product that was purchased and registered prior to BandLab acquiring the IP for Cakewalk to make Cakewalk By BandLab. There was a Single Sign-On account system used by Cakewalk from mid-2014 until the company s closure in 2017 during the Gibson era. This is the only system we have access to. Products purchased prior to mid-2014 were most likely Roland-era products. If you didn't migrate to a Single Sign-On account, we can only search for registrations and provide details, but we cannot provide access to the account for activation requests. Anything purchased or obtained and registered during the Roland or Gibson era is considered a legacy product with legacy registration information.”

can anyone advise me if this is true?

Essentially, if it is it renders the product useless without full functionality i.e no

“access to an mp3 encoder for exporting mp3 files”

Thanks in advance…

D

6 answers to this question

At the time the V-20 was sold, the integrated mp3 encoder was a paid option.

The integrated mp3 encoder was based on LAME.

If one did not purchase the integrated encoder, it was still possible to make mp3 files by exporting a wav and using a free copy of LAME or another mp3 encoder to convert the wav file.

When the patent royalties associated with MP3 encoding expired, Cakewalk started to include mp3 export for free.

The information regard BandLab and access to the old Cakewalk accounts is accurate.

If you want to read more about it see https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001718094-

BandLab did not buy the Cakewalk company, they purchase some its assets from Gibson.

After the purchase, BandLab released a new 64bit DAW called Cakewalk by BandLab based on SONAR Platinum source code.

Just like SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab includes free integrated mp3 export.

Cakewalk by BandLab is a considerable upgrade from the DAW bundled with the Roland V-20; it is free, maintained and supported by BandLab.

1 hour ago, Douglas Winning said:

“…You advertised with cakewalk, however you cannot register with cakewalk anymore via Roland/Gibson or bandlab, therefore you cannot get a registration for access to an mp3 encoder for exporting mp3 files for full functionality of the hardware/software.”

You no longer need to register anything to get the MP3 encoder. It's built into Cakewalk by BandLab. All your customer needs to do is download and install Cakewalk by BandLab and they will get that function for free (like the rest of Cakewalk by BandLab).

On 4/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, Douglas Winning said:

Hi,

I’m in desperate need of help or/and advice. Hopefully someone will notice this plea and advise or give me some answers.

I recently sold a second hand Roland V- Studio 20 product with complete software and booklets and manual.

the person who purchased it from me decided that it was not working like he wanted it to so then demanded a refund…and sent the following reason for the request….

It seems it was registered to another account and email address.

He goes onto state that Roland…Cakewalk/ Bandlab have told him the following…

”The system revolving around the activation of products has been decommissioned some time ago. Legacy registration information refers to any product that was purchased and registered prior to BandLab acquiring the IP for Cakewalk to make Cakewalk By BandLab. There was a Single Sign-On account system used by Cakewalk from mid-2014 until the company s closure in 2017 during the Gibson era. This is the only system we have access to. Products purchased prior to mid-2014 were most likely Roland-era products. If you didn't migrate to a Single Sign-On account, we can only search for registrations and provide details, but we cannot provide access to the account for activation requests. Anything purchased or obtained and registered during the Roland or Gibson era is considered a legacy product with legacy registration information.”

can anyone advise me if this is true?

Essentially, if it is it renders the product useless without full functionality i.e no

“access to an mp3 encoder for exporting mp3 files”

Thanks in advance…

D

Thanks so much for your help on this issue… my customer has sent me a rude reply with the following as part of the reply, which I think can be solved if he got the Window 10 drivers and installed it on a 64bit pc…am I right?

Doug

“V studio 20 and the guitar 4 cakewalk software was compatible with 32 bit pcs the new cakewalk bandlab software is 64 bit so not compatible with a 32 bit pc.”
“There is a link on the cakewalk website where you were able to request the mp3 encoder but this has been confirmed by cakewalk bandlab as being defunct so is of no use. Basically we’ve been told you can no longer get an integrated encoder as all is now legacy software.”

There is no Win10 driver.

The last driver made was for Win 8/8.1 see https://www.roland.com/us/products/v-studio_20/downloads/

There is a way to get the driver installed on Win10 http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-use-V700-win-8-driver-in-win-10-also-applies-to-some-other-Roland-drivers-m3206046.aspx

Bottom line the hardware was discontinued around 7 years ago, the last driver was released in 2013 and the company that made the software bundled with it went out of business in 2017.

The software will likely run on any version 32-bit or 64-bit Windows XP and newer but without the integrated LAME encoder. The user will have to use an external mp3 encoder. LAME is free for any version of Windows Guitar Tracks runs on.

Not sure what sellers and buyers expect when dealing with antiques like this.

The customer should have done research which would have taken them all of 5 minutes to know exactly what they were buying. If they didn’t, then it is not your problem.
Old gear is what it is. 

I would not feel guilty unless you you purposely misrepresented the item. If you simply sold if as is, it was up to the purchaser to know what they were buying. MP3 encoding has been free for a long time now. 

Edited by John Vere