Video Question - Anyone own an Insta360 ONE R(S)?

mettelus

In searching for a convenient camera, I had the GO (2) model in mind for a while, but did some research recently and the ONE R comes up as #3. Since I recognized the brand I checked that out and was sort of shocked... specifically with the 360 lens. Apparently that is capturing a panoramic view every frame, so when you edit, you simply move the focal point around to make linear footage. That particular footage also solved the "where is the selfie stick" I have seen in other videos (you can see the shadow on the ground in the video below, but the camera removes the stick itself). It is modular, and has 3 lenses available, but that 360 lens is my real focus.

Has anyone worked with that 360 lens? I haven't jumped into documentation, but seems most information references iPhone being the default interface (no iPhone here). I also do not subscribe to Adobe Premiere (and never will), so need to learn more of the 360 editing needs (I "think" they have proprietary software available for free as well, but still researching).

Can see the stick shadow in the skiing clip in this video (41s mark).

Edited by mettelus

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update for anyone that may catch this down the road.

The ONE RS "Twin" version is pretty much all that is needed (one 360 degree 5.7K lens and one 4K lens)... the other lens (1" wide angle) is a remnant from the old model with lower resolution so the other two cover the bases there. Selfie stick/tripod are optional, but recommended, since they mount perfectly to the camera bracket. Other accessories are more for specific uses (underwater filming, mounts to specific things, etc.).

The company makes software that will do some editing and exports, but is very limited. Ironically, VLC player will play an exported 360 video so you can pan/zoom all you want on it.

A guy named Hugh Hou has a truckload of videos on using footage from the ONE X2 model (attached to a drone), and editing in DaVinci Resolve. One of the key limitations of the Resolve free version is that it cannot import/export above 4K, the Studio (paid version) can do 32K. He did get a nice dig in on Adobe in one video... basically, Adobe + Mocha is $1000/yr... Resolve Studio is $295 for life (2 computers, free upgrades). I need to delve into Resolve more, but another guy had a nice post on the history of the program (explains why the manual is 3600+ pages), as well as a comparison between the free and Studio versions. That write up is interesting:

https://artgrid.io/insights/davinci-resolve-free-vs-studio/