How to hold notes in SI-String Section

Don Cobb

I'm trying SI-String Section 1 for the first time. I'm trying to hold notes for 4 beats long and it will only let me do single 1/4 notes. How do I make the notes sustain longer? Thanks everyone!

Edited by Don Cobb
Left out a word

On 4/7/2022 at 6:46 AM, Don Cobb said:

I'm trying SI-String Section 1 for the first time. I'm trying to hold notes for 4 beats long and it will only let me do single 1/4 notes. How do I make the notes sustain longer? Thanks everyone!

I opened up SI-String Section in CbB and was able to hold the notes of the default program for as long as the keys were pressed, or the sustain pedal was depressed.

Specifically , which program were you using in SI-String Section?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/7/2022 at 4:39 PM, Promidi said:

I opened up SI-String Section in CbB and was able to hold the notes of the default program for as long as the keys were pressed, or the sustain pedal was depressed.

I'm using Cakewalk By Bandlab. I don't know how to record midi using a keyboard and I have no midi keyboard or sustain pedal. I write notes from the PC mouse, so I can't "hold the notes". I need to figure out how to change the eighth note to a whole note using my mouse. Does that make sense?

The information about how to do this is very easy to access. I gave you the link to the videos and all aspects of cakewalk are easily found in the documentation.

It’s fine to get stuck on something you can’t figure out from watching the tutorials and looking in the documentation then ask a question. But drawing midi notes is very very basic stuff. I even gave the answer in my post from April.

Please follow up and try the tutorials and documentation. Cakewalk is complicated and needs instructions 

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Don Cobb said:
On 4/7/2022 at 11:39 PM, Promidi said:

I'm using Cakewalk By Bandlab.

i think promidi meant which "preset" rather than the program used to host si-ss?

good luck

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

i think promidi meant which "preset" rather than the program used to host si-ss?

For me, Program Change = Preset Change = Patch Change.  It was not a mistake, SI-String Section uses "Program" as in "Program Browser."

Just to add, if I remember correctly, some of the program/presets/patches are IMO defective in the sense that they do not sustain/loop.  I remember a thread about this.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

For me, Program Change = Preset Change = Patch Change.  It was not a mistake, SI-String Section uses "Program" as in "Program Browser."

yeah of course, just "program" means something else to a lot of people 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Don Cobb said:

I need to figure out how to change the eighth note to a whole note using my mouse. Does that make sense?

Just click and drag when the "smart tool" is over the end of the note. It will change to a double ended arrow that you can use to stretch the note out with.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Instead of being a passive jerk, certain of you could've just answered the post. I apologize to the OP for those with the most knowledge that are the least helpful.

What you need to do is hold control, then click and drag through the notes in the step sequencer that you want to merge from individual notes to a single sustained note.

1 hour ago, Harrison Beck said:

Hold control, then click and drag through the notes in the step sequencer that you want to merge from individual notes to a single sustained note.

Edited by User 905133
deleted the part about insults and rudeness being unnecessary

10 hours ago, Harrison Beck said:

What you need to do is hold control, then click and drag through the notes in the step sequencer that you want to merge from individual notes to a single sustained note.

The OP was asking how to extend a notes length, not how to merge notes. I gave the correct answer just above yours. ;)