Can't get stereo recording on split instrumets track

hhal9000

I'm trying to split instrument tracks for a stereo audio output so I can record from the free FL studio vst to Cakewalk tracks but I can't get stereo only mono. I've just tried with Vital and still only mono.Can't work out what i'm doing wrong as I've seen this demonstrated in a tutorial and thought I was following the steps. He got stereo and I can only get mono?

No Stereo is selected. Strangely the midi track when played at first is in stereo. Then when I right click to split the instument track the midi track now plays in mono and the audio out plays in stereo (I can tell from the two sets of green bars moving differently for the audio output but identical now for the midi output). And when I press the preview it is in stereo  but when I record it comes2022-04-07 16-14-11.mkv out in mono.https://discuss.cakewalk.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=24069

• Confused 1

MIDI meters are just showing the velocity of MIDI note events; there is no mono/stereo information in a MIDI event so the bar is always solid.

1 hour ago, hhal9000 said:

And when I press the preview it is in stereo  but when I record it comes2022-04-07 16-14-11.mkv out in mono.https://discuss.cakewalk.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=24069

That is pretty odd; I'll have to think about possible causes. What if you freeze the synth instead of recording? Recording is only really needed if you plan to tweak the synth patch from its UI in real time rather than using automation or controllers.

Also, can you repro this with any bundled Cakewalk instrument?

Edited by David Baay

Yes freezing works.I get a good stereo audio output with no distortion.

Also just tried splitting the instrument track with the Cakewalk SI Electric Piano and get the same- a mono audio track  with very bad distortion.

Also what should the soft Synth settings be. I've tried quite a few including this one:

soft synth settings.jpg

Edited by hhal9000

Strange, your selections are fine, and nothing there should really have a bearing unless you were to choose Instrument Track per Output - Mono or All Outputs - Mono.

I did a quick sanity check with SI Electric Piano and it yielded a stereo clip as expected.

Are you on the latest release of CbB?

I would think this is just a clip-display issue if not for the distortion. What does the synth audio track meter show on playback?

Try importing a recorded file from the project audio folder to an audio track.

EDIT: I noticed the output from SI Piano is super hot and clips easily on chords at moderate velocity even at default MIDI volume 101. That might explain the distortion (clipping) unless it's only the recording and not the freeze. Lower the  MIDI track volume or the Gain on the synth audio track.

Edited by David Baay

The freeze does not distort and it gives a stereo audio output. I'm on version 2022.02(build 039,64 bit) of Cakewalk.

Also tried importing the audio track to a new project but it was still in mono and distorted.Weird than when I record as it is recording there are 2 channels but once finished they colapse to the single mono.