Rikki Don't Lose That Number

steve@baselines.com

Well done steve 👍👍....anyone who attempts to cover Steely Dan has a lot of ground to cover....Becker and Fagens's "unique to the song" chords, way above average musicianship, ears of sonar to hear and do things in the mix that few others can 🎶🎶🎶🎶

On 4/6/2022 at 11:32 PM, Larry T. said:

Well done steve 👍👍....anyone who attempts to cover Steely Dan has a lot of ground to cover....Becker and Fagens's "unique to the song" chords, way above average musicianship, ears of sonar to hear and do things in the mix that few others can 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks Larry - Steely Dan is one of my top three influences.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve . . . very excellent work on a classic pop tune. As I was listening along I was appreciating just what you accomplished here ! Recreating a Steely Dan tune, wow, nothing they did was predictable, you did an amazing job, and obviously have a very finely tuned ear to make this work.

Nice job! I love Steely Dan and you did an excellent job on this. Everything is really well played. I'm wondering, this all sounds like physical instruments, is it (as opposed to midi and sample libraries). While everything is played really well, I especially loved the electric guitar tone and playing and the piano parts. You really nailed all of the parts. 

On 4/9/2022 at 7:54 PM, bjornpdx said:

Great cover!
I have the 70s music channel on my Sirius radio and they seem to play this one pretty often. If I heard your version I would have guessed this was a live version from the original SD.
-Bjorn

Thanks very much Bjorn - your comment makes me feel great!

Steve

On 4/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, noynekker said:

Steve . . . very excellent work on a classic pop tune. As I was listening along I was appreciating just what you accomplished here ! Recreating a Steely Dan tune, wow, nothing they did was predictable, you did an amazing job, and obviously have a very finely tuned ear to make this work.

Thanks very much for listening!  It is always really hard to get everything that Steely Dan does on a cover.  I am sure I miss some of the fine points, and of course I will never be as good as those players, particularly on guitar.  I always learn something by trying to get it exact.  I know some people would rather change it up a bit, but I rarely feel like doing that - I can do it on original stuff if I want to get creative.

On 4/10/2022 at 1:52 AM, PavlovsCat said:

Nice job! I love Steely Dan and you did an excellent job on this. Everything is really well played. I'm wondering, this all sounds like physical instruments, is it (as opposed to midi and sample libraries). While everything is played really well, I especially loved the electric guitar tone and playing and the piano parts. You really nailed all of the parts. 

Thank you for the feedback!  The guitar, bass and piano parts are mostly real instruments.  I do add some rhythm guitar parts from the Native Instruments Strummed Guitar, because it gets a much better sound than I can get out of my acoustic.  Both the real acoustic and the midi one are on this song.  The drums are Superior Drummer 3.

6 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@steve@baselines.com Nice take on this cover Steve sounds well mixed and pretty faithful to the original here on the Events.

Hi Wookiee - thank you for listening and commenting not only for this song, but for my others as well.  I know it is difficult to find time to go through all the excellent music here!