Downshifter - Mixing & Mastering Constructive Feedback?

Myriad Rocker

You all are going to get really tired of me posting stuff to pick your brain.  😀

I'm taking a break from the previous mix I posted today and working on another track.  This one came together in half a day, surprisingly.  Hopefully this one is balanced well.  It sounds pretty decent in my room.  From a mastering standpoint, I'm using Ozone.  Not too heavy on the EQ, some light multi-band compression that's barely kissing and a few other things.

Let me know what you guys think.  I value your opinions more than you know.

EDIT 7/18: Second mix below is what I think is the final.  The first one just below is kind of where I started with it.  I didn't level match them, so that's something to be aware of.

This one is where I started:

Latest mix below.

Edited by Myriad Rocker

Alright Myriad, The first thing I was listening for here was the bass player. I did hear it in this song, but not like I should. The bass is getting buried in the mix. I can hear it in spots, but the bass gets buried a lot. Even in the spot where the bass is the highlight, it's not as up-front as it should be. Can I ask if your a guitar player> ( I am)

What a f'n scream man!! At 3:19 that was really good! Lot of feelings there.

Mix aside, another great song. Well done, thought out, and executed. Another winner.

Edited by Grem
Spelling of course!
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Half a day? Damn. Were you on Mercury? This would have taken me a year. Loved your tune, the mix, and the awesome guitar tones. Great vocals too!

OKY15OY.jpg

LOL!  Well, to your credit, my tracks were already edited and such a long while back.  So the "dirty" work was mostly out of the way.  Does that make it better?  😁

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Alright Myriad, The first thing I was listening for here was the bass player. I did here it in this song, but not like I should. The bass is getting buried in the mix. I can hear it in spots, but the bass gets buried a lot. Even in the spot where the bass is the highlight, it's not as up-front as it should be. Can I ask if your a guitar player> ( I am)

What a f'n scream man!! At 3:19 that was really good! Lot of feelings there.

Mix aside, another great song. Well done, thought out, and executed. Another winner.

You're onto me...I'm a guitar player.  😆  This whole bass and low end thing is really becoming a bad habit for me.  I'll go back and work on the bass more.  How's the kick?  Is it coming through enough?

Thanks for the compliments and getting after me on the low end issues.  One day I'll learn and get it right.

16 minutes ago, Myriad Rocker said:

One day I'll learn and get it right.

Only if you don't give up and keep seeking advice. Playing that style of music, I don't think 'giving up' is in your vocabulary! : ) LOL

The kick is fine I thought. I gave it somewhat of a listen on my Surface Pro speakers (I mean BS speakers!!) and I could still 'hear' the kick but not on a regular basis.

Edited by Grem

Hey, Myriad,

This is another killer good rocker with great instrumental performances and musicianship, and dynamite vocals!👍

I think the new mix is much better.  Fuller and punchier with much more separation and clarity.  The low end has much more body than on the first mix, which really adds to the overall punch.

Your singer sounds a lot like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Topp on this one, which is cool, and I really liked the wah guitar solo, too.

Nice work, and great band, brother!😀

Have a good one,
Bob

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Oister said:

Hey, Myriad,

This is another killer good rocker with great instrumental performances and musicianship, and dynamite vocals!👍

I think the new mix is much better.  Fuller and punchier with much more separation and clarity.  The low end has much more body than on the first mix, which really adds to the overall punch.

Your singer sounds a lot like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Topp on this one, which is cool, and I really liked the wah guitar solo, too.

Nice work, and great band, brother!😀

Have a good one,
Bob

Thanks for the feedback, Bob!  Appreciate it!

Really clean mix you got now!! Like Wookiee says, more open. And that translates to a very god sounding beginning of the song. That is much better!

But the scream... I went back and read what I posted before and sure enough, I said something about that scream in that post too! But in this mix it just isn't as up front as it should be. Vocals before and after are right there, in your face, then the screams kinda drifts out there in the 3:17 until the main vocals come back in. And of course myriad, this is just a personal thing of mine, it really does sound good as is! : )

Drums sound good with the kick having some umph! The bass in the middle breakdown has great tone. Lots of low end and a metallic sound on top!

You definitely are finding your sound. Sounds to me like your zoning in on it. Great work.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grem said:

Really clean mix you got now!! Like Wookiee says, more open. And that translates to a very god sounding beginning of the song. That is much better!

But the scream... I went back and read what I posted before and sure enough, I said something about that scream in that post too! But in this mix it just isn't as up front as it should be. Vocals before and after are right there, in your face, then the screams kinda drifts out there in the 3:17 until the main vocals come back in. And of course myriad, this is just a personal thing of mine, it really does sound good as is! : )

Drums sound good with the kick having some umph! The bass in the middle breakdown has great tone. Lots of low end and a metallic sound on top!

You definitely are finding your sound. Sounds to me like your zoning in on it. Great work.

Thanks so much, Grem.  I appreciate it.

Edited by Myriad Rocker
spelling
  • Like 1