Can no longer hear YouTube if Cakewalk is minimized SOLVED

No sound at all if Cake is minimized on any other program.  Have "open all devices" and "suspend audio engine when cake not in focus" checked.  No love.

Also, still can't load a template that contains Superior Drummer 3 or EZ Bass...haven't checked EZ Drummer as yet.

Edited by Steve Patrick

On 4/6/2022 at 8:36 PM, John Vere said:

Watch the beginning of this video it shows you where the settings are 

Hi John, when u say wdm wrappers don't perform as good as wasapi mode what exactly does that mean. I mean I would like to know what exactly are the disadvantages of using them?  Later you said only the asio reports correct latency.  In that case isn't it a better option to choose ASIO by installing something like asio4all? 

1 hour ago, Sonarman said:

Hi John, when u say wdm wrappers don't perform as good as wasapi mode what exactly does that mean. I mean I would like to know what exactly are the disadvantages of using them?  Later you said only the asio reports correct latency.  In that case isn't it a better option to choose ASIO by installing something like asio4all? 

No. The better option is to use a real interface with a real ASIO driver. ASIO4ALL is, um,  problematic.

Yes that I understand. I wanna know in what ways wasapi is superior to wdm wrappers(asio4all in particular) despite not reporting latency. 

Pc's Internal audio is useful when the interface is turned off or while travelling without carrying the  interface. 

Edited by Sonarman

8 minutes ago, Sonarman said:

Yes that I understand. I wanna know in what ways wasapi is superior to wdm wrappers(asio4all in particular) despite not reporting latency. 

Pc's Internal audio is useful when the interface is turned off or while travelling without carrying the  interface. 

That's a question for the technoid folks, but I would guess that it's because it's from Microsoft. WASAPI is relatively new, and is Microsoft's response to the poor audio implementation previously. Apparently, they listened.

I would blindly select wasapi. But asio4all is handy since it reports latency. Of course not gonna record audio with that, but roundtrip latency also affects midi recording process.

I also wonder if folks could create wdm wrappers they certainly can create wasapi wrappers. 

Edited by Sonarman

It’s simple I tested different modes on a few computers including one that was W7 . Not at all official but my guess is accurate enough to come to conclusions. 

I also had other members here testing because different interfaces only support certain driver modes. And I didn’t want to install Asio4all on my W10 computers so I only had it on a older W7 machine. 

ASIO is the only driver mode that reported RTL to Cakewalk “ correctly “   All other modes seem to result in being out of sync.  Including Asio4all .  

Asio4all behaves exactly the same as WDM mode which it is based on. This includes not correctly reporting to Cakewalk. If you use W7 and don’t own an audio interface it is still a good choice  

If you use W10 and don’t have an audio interface WASAPI mode out performs Asio4all with Exclusive mode achieving very low  RTL . 

Using Asio4all on W10 is a step backwards in performance. It’s name should have been different because it has nothing in common with proper ASIO drivers.