"I Need Some Socks"

PhonoBrainer

Tom, this is a song to savor.  I had to listen a few times just to take everything in.  I knew you were quirky, but this takes it to another level.  I won't comment on the mix or music because they're a  perfect pairing for the message.  This is a lament I hear quite a bit these days, and you put it into a foot-tapping, jazzy song that's very rich indeed.  Excuse me now, I'm going to order some Bombas...🧦

• Haha 1

This song made me smile  🙂
Some very nice mixing skills in this... sounds great on my Focals.
To be honest I don have any criticism.
Dont get me wrong Ive listened to the song 4 times to find some 🙂
You should be proud of that one!!

22 hours ago, Lynn said:

Excuse me now, I'm going to order some Bombas...🧦

LOL!! I bought some for the girls about three Christmas's ago, and they love the dang things!! That's all they want to wear. But they want me to buy them!! I ain't even gonna tell ya what I paid for them socks!!

@emeraldsoul I must be honest, I was put off by the title (pic didn't help either!). Then I looked at the length of the song...almost 5 minutes!! But I gave it a shot and to my benefit, I really enjoyed it. Excellent job on everything. Comical but deep lyrics! Great beat, real good keyboard work. Great mix too!! And by the end of the song I wanted the story to keep going!! Those 15 minutes went by like that!! : )

• Thanks 1

@Lynn - thanks hombre! quirky is where the fun is! Thanks for the compliments. I've never heard of Bombas. What have I been missing?

@garybrun - wow I wish I could hear it on your Focals. What's the shipping from Norway? :) I have some Neumans but I usually do a headphone check as my most trusted source. I realize that makes no sense.   Thanks, glad you liked the mix!

@daryl1968 - thanks! The sax was tough to mix, I have little experience with live horns. Thanks for the heads up! Occasionally I have a soft sax line undercutting some vocals, I'm not sure about that choice.

@thegaltieribrothers - thanks man! and yes, the video has begun its journey! much obliged for the listen.

@Wookiee - thanks for relating.  I'm just glad the lyrics are getting heard, I was worried they were a bit slurry in spots.  Glad you dug the groove!

@Grem - your comments will be passed along to the marketing department. Perhaps "socks" are too mundane a thing to sing about?  :) I'm so glad you found it worth the time - I also sometimes balk at the longer ones - so glad you dug it and "comical but deep" was what I was aiming for. Gracias amigo.

I absoflippinlutely love this.  You have taken a everyday situation and turned it into a pleasant 4:54 minutes of listening.  You do know your stuff -- composition, arrangement, performance, recording, mixing, etc. are all excellent!

Terrific Job Tom!!!

E soul

so great to hear from you

way so much going on here

tasty acoustic there at 3:30 or so

so if you really you are in the weeds

I say cut this down to no more than 3:00

you can do it man

I could say more but right now i am indisposed

anyway, it doesn't really matter, but it is really good, now make it better

Thanks so much for the feedback!

@SPAK- thanks for the "making socks" idea, I'll poke around. Appreciate the comments!

@kakku and @Grem - thanks, and I seem to get a Zappa reference occassionally. I have yet to hear anything by him all the way through, he was never on my radar at all. Maybe I should check it out! I did respect his appearance before Congress battling the Tipper Gore initiative - which was exactly 1 million light years ago.

@freddy j - thanks! I like writing about mundane things and re-scaling them to be much more than they are. So glad you liked the song, thank you very much for the very kind words!

@Andrew Ball - super kind of you, mate! You appear to be a long-suffering listener!!! I dig your stuff as well, and I would encourage you to post your tunes more often. Thanks for the lift! You have a double threat of guitar and keys, and a good voice as well. I think more people should check out your stuff.

@Jesse Screed - good think I didn't post the 17 minute version then!!! Thanks for the idearrr and yes I could see a "radio" version. Should the need arise! And yes, always better.

thanks again for the feedbacks.

Nice one Tom! The song is deeper than one might first think, "are you connected or are you comsumed?" is just pure brilliance. :)

Nice mix and i really enjoyed the instrumental part in the end, it really fitted the song well.

Well done.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

@Andrew Ball - super kind of you, mate! You appear to be a long-suffering listener!!! I dig your stuff as well, and I would encourage you to post your tunes more often. Thanks for the lift! You have a double threat of guitar and keys, and a good voice as well. I think more people should check out your stuff.

You are too kind and I know you're not blowin' smoke so I appreciate the comments - I certainly wouldn't describe myself as 'long-suffering' where your stuff is concerned.

Maybe I should post more stuff but I got badly stung on a forum once by a particularly obnoxious individual and it kind of makes you wary about putting yourself out there. I'm working on a new song at the moment that's has been in development for a few months (I'm even playing the keys - with no assistance from Toontrack for a change) but there's still a lot to do so it might be a few weeks before it's ready for air play. 

This is one of those Seinfeld type "it's about nothing" stories.   Nothing more mundane than buying socks but you made it funny as all get out.
Loved all the little synth participants throughout, esp that cool bass.  Nice one, Tom!