Save that old version of CbB

CCC reads data about all versions available for all CCC aware installers for a user from a server side database and uses this as the basis for the rollback lists. When rolling back (or installing) CCC checks if the installer is cached, if found it uses the cached version otherwise it downloads the installer from the server.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've never seen any software company do that and it's hard to imagine one doing it.

You get why: it's the equivalent of saying "we have so little faith in our QA process that we have this handy option for you to get rid of the latest and greatest improved version in case we've fscked it up."

It will simply. Never. Happen.

Especially when stability and reliability are the focus they presently appear to be.

I had not thought about the developers don't want to encourage a user to sit on a bug by offering a workaround until it was mentioned in an earlier post.  It makes perfect sense.

As mentioned, each time the question gets asked someone can respond by posting a link to this thread.

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

the devs would often say "can you roll back?"

I'm having a conniption fit over here. That's treating your product as a public beta. No wonder SONAR got a reputation for being a crash test dummy.

BandLab seem to be running a tighter ship.

You know, developers hate shipping software with bugs in it, it's like if we shipped a master with unwanted digital clipping in it or a dropout or an accidentally muted track or whatever.

To me, this would be like if every record shipped with 5 different but similar mixes/masters, and not the "dance remix" or "2019 remaster" but the one the drummer did while the rest of the band was out buying brownies at the dispensary, and the one that the guitar player and his girlfriend liked, then the one that the producer and the record company liked, then one that had a killer feel but Don screwed up on that one part but they left it in, then one that everyone thought sounded good but the hi hat sounded ice-picky in the car, and the consumer is supposed to pick whichever one works the best on their system.

If the "Don drops a clam" mix sounds jarring, try the one with the forward guitars. Don't sound good? Try the one that's all drums.

The vast majority of folks are running Windows 10 at this point, where maintenance to Windows, or even the version of Windows running, isn't the wild wild West it was, back in the days of Sonar (several flavors of Sonar 8, X1, X2, X3, and Platinum, on top of various Windows versions and maintenance levels of Windows, not to mention drivers, firmware, BIOS, etc...).  There were, all kinds of different combinations of environments - and at times, a Sonar update version wouldn't play nicely because someone's Windows updates looked like Swiss cheese.

Folks that chose to do rollbacks of Sonar had the freedom to choose how far back to go, or not to worry about it.  I found it useful in trying to figure out if a given update version had broken something, versus my just not realizing a particular function hadn't worked in a while, or whatever - I found it QUITE helpful to be able to go back and forth as desired, with Sonar versions.

I also frequently rolled back in my attempts to match some other user's version, to help them track down why something wasn't working any more.

I hadn't considered retaining multiple versions of CbB and any associated folders, but may do so now or soon.  Thanks for this thread - good idea, I think, to have a way of approximating rolling back.

Bob Bone

• Like 1