Anyone attending this year's Sweetwater GearFest?

I have been pondering attending GearFest this year and was wondering if any other forum members would be attending?
A couple of the presentations look very good especially the ones featuring @Craig Anderton.
It sounds like a very fun and interesting event.

It would also be great to hear from those of you who have attended past Gear Fest to share your experiences.

Thanks so much!

Thanks for posting about this.  I was not aware.  I might just go ahead and drive up to Indiana for this (from St. Louis, MO).  Several times over the years I have wanted to get up there and see the new place.  The photos of it are incredible.  The list of presenters have some names that I would very much enjoy meeting.

'Going to look into motel rooms now.  :)

Edited by Toddskins

Ok.  I'm going.  I made hotel reservations and reserved my place with Sweetwater.  

There are quite a few presentations I look forward to seeing.  I'll see both by Craig Anderton.  I'd like to meet Michael Sweet  from Stryper.  Eric Johnson will be doing a special concert the last night evening.  Daniel Fischer doing some workshop on Synth Programming Strategies.  Billy Sheehan on bass and Steve Vai, both doing presentations on different days.  And quite a few others.  Looks like something is going on every 15 minutes throughout both days.  

Edited by Toddskins

The wife and I are going.

It's a great time (especially the all-star concerts)... and it's pretty cool to talk to folks like Roger Linn, Craig Anderton, Paul Reed Smith, etc.

Last year, Paul Reed Smith thought I was Tommy Shaw (that was awkward for a moment).  😉

My wife told Neal Schon that story... and he laughed and told her he's been telling Paul he needs new glasses.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

The wife and I are going.

It's a great time (especially the all-star concerts)... and it's pretty cool to talk to folks like Roger Linn, Craig Anderton, Paul Reed Smith, etc.

Last year, Paul Reed Smith thought I was Tommy Shaw (that was awkward for a moment).  😉

My wife told Neal Schon that story... and he laughed and told her he's been telling Paul he needs new glasses.

Now that's a cool story!

A friend of mine (who also looks and sounds like Tommy) is currently playing AS Tommy for Dennis DeYoung's band (August Zadra - one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet).   If HE ever meets Paul, then Paul will be really confused! LOL!

23 hours ago, Bapu said:

With all I bought from Sweetwater in the last twelve months, you'd think they would pay my way (and lost wages) to be there. 😎

😂

I can relate.

Last year, I splurged on a Private Stock PRS.  The single best guitar I've ever touched.

It was quite an experience.  Had them pull three of the best... and put me in a private room where I could actually hear them (impossible on the floor with all the kids banging on guitars/amps).  Don Carr walked in while I was playing.  I should have stopped and had him play (exceptional guitar player).  😉

Checkout on Saturday was actually quite stressful (even with heavy discount from GearFest, it was a substantial chunk).

Told the wife I wouldn't be repeating that scenario this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

😂

I can relate.

Last year, I splurged on a Private Stock PRS.  The single best guitar I've ever touched.

It was quite an experience.  Had them pull three of the best... and put me in a private room where I could actually hear them (impossible on the floor with all the kids banging on guitars/amps).  Don Carr walked in while I was playing.  I should have stopped and had him play (exceptional guitar player).  😉

Checkout on Saturday was actually quite stressful (even with heavy discount from GearFest, it was a substantial chunk).

Told the wife I wouldn't be repeating that scenario this year.

Smart move!  (Unless you'd rather have two guitars and be single!  Hey, wait... That's ME! 😮)

• Haha 1

My first time going and I see all the differing workshops at 15-minute intervals throughout each of the 2 days.

Do you know if these last longer than 15 minutes?  Roughly how long are they, if you happen to know?  Are they all at different meeting rooms or do they each follow on the heel of the other in some main room?

If so, then obviously I'll need to plan strategically as to which ones I can afford to miss.  I'd like to see them all.

Edited by Toddskins

Hi Todd,

I believe most of the presentations are ~1 hour long.

There are so many great seminars (many simultaneous), you won't be able to catch them all.

Craig Anderton's seminars are always great.  You'll definitely walk out having gained some new insights.

The all-star concerts are a great time.

• Like 1