Oberheim 8-Voice Emulator $19

bitflipper

From Cherry Audio. A pretty good emulation, IMO, with a decent number of presets to get you started.

Oberheim synths are also a good choice for beginners because they're fairly simple to program. So if you'd like to dip your toes into the world of old-school subtractive synthesis but are intimidated by all the controls on Synthmaster or Zebra, Oberheims are pretty quick to pick up. The free OBXD is even simpler, but not as fat-sounding as the 8-Voice.

$19 for an Oberheim 8-Voice is a pretty good price, considering the first time I checked one out back in the 70's a real one went for about 4 grand. This one sounds almost the same. Are you into EDM and epic supersaws? This is the synth it was invented on.

• Thanks 1

Off topic...  I'm a bit of a synth vsti snob.  I'm easily bored with subtractive synthesis with just the 3 basic waveforms.  But when I listen to some of the programs which come with the u-He Tyrell N6, I'm blown away by what people are able to come up with, using what seems like a very finite set of components.  It's all about programming.

• Like 1

The Cherry Audio Eight Voice is a great sounding synth! Very FAT!!! For $19 it's a definite no-brainer!

I picked it up at release, plus the Cherry Audio Synthesizer Expander Module (SEM) bundle for their Voltage Modular synth. https://cherryaudio.com/news/synthesizer-expander-modules-for-voltage-modular-released

It's a single module based on the Oberheim SEM that Cherry provides in mono and poly versions that you can mix or match as many modules as you can stuff into the virtual rack synth. That way you can build your own 2-voice, 4-voice, 8-voice. or whatever. Then you have access to any of the modules in Voltage Modular so that you can make a virtual super Oberheim like none that ever existed! :)

Not that you really need to do all that. Just drop $19 as @bitflippersuggested and you are good to go!

Edited by abacab

And while this hot deal is still cooking, you may be interested in an Eight Voice Expansion by Xenos Soundworks, 'Retrowave' for Eight-Voice for $12.

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/presets/xenos-soundworks-retrowave-for-eight-voice-presets/

• ‘Retrowave’ contains 90 brand new presets for Cherry Audio’s Eight-Voice synthesizer, with generous use of Eight-Voice’s interesting voicing capabilities to produce fat analog leads, thick layered sounds, wide polyphonic synths and more.
  • Take your sound back to the 70s and 80s with the ‘Retrowave’ patch library.
  • Pack Contents:
  • 17 Basses
  • 17 Leads
  • 14 Keys and Polysynths
  • 12 Pads
  • 12 Plucks
  • 6 Bells and Mallets
  • 4 FX
  • 3 Arps
  • 3 Chord Hits
  • 2 Brass
  • Total Number Of Files: 90
  • 221 KB
  • Software Requirements: Cherry Audio Eight Voice 1.0+

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fleer said:

And compared to the Arturia one?

The Arturia is a weak option, because it's only one SEM module. In this case I would have to say that Cherry Audio has a big edge with 8 modules in one rack! :)

• Thanks 1

When I got the e-mail about the one-year anniversary sale on Cherry Audio's "Eight Voice," I search by that name and not seeing the deal announced, made a post which included links to some videos.  I then learned that Larry had indeed announced it. (See his forum link posted above.)  

For my needs and uses, I agree with the positive assessments posted above.  It is my daily "go-to" soft synth to test that my PC's audio is setup properly.  Noodling with it at the start of every day warms me up.  It might not meet everyone's needs, so I would encourage others considering spending from $15.95 to $19 to take a look at some of the resources linked here:  

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 2