4th Year Anniversary of Cakewalk By Bandlab

cclarry

On 4/4/2022 at 6:17 AM, Marc Cormier said:

The work that’s happened over the last four years is probably as good as the SPlat lifetime updates I paid for.

Here's where I like to pop in, as someone who let his SONAR license lapse 20 years ago and only started up again in the BandLab era, and say THANKS to you and everyone else who paid license fees over the decades (which does include me, back in the day).

There would be no free, excellent Cakewalk by BandLab without the 30 years of commercial development that came before. Which was funded by the license fees that we all paid over the years. So cheers, mates!

Moreover, maybe the fact that the program had such a large, invested, loyal userbase and history had something to do with how attractive it was to Meng? He probably loves being "the guy who rescued Cakewalk." He definitely has much to be proud of in that regard.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

There would be no free, excellent Cakewalk by BandLab ...

It is excellent, I really like to use it for MIDI, creating synth tracks and mixing.

Though with audio clip editing (within and without take lanes) I still get upset most of the time, because there are still so many issues and even bugs (bounced clip losing name, cross-fading moving clip contents, bouncing clips losing gain setting, ...). But still I hope that one day BandLab is also fixing this stuff! 😆

• Like 3

5 hours ago, marled said:

Though with audio clip editing (within and without take lanes) I still get upset most of the time, because there are still so many issues and even bugs (bounced clip losing name, cross-fading moving clip contents, bouncing clips losing gain setting, ...). But still I hope that one day BandLab is also fixing this stuff! 😆

I'd like to mention at this point is that I know that back in the Gibson days (and earlier) people reported bugs and annoyances that went un-fixed to the point where they gave up hope.  Which is understandable. It takes some trouble to report things and to see nothing come of it is discouraging.

However, it's now under the care of a completely different company (although some of the developers are the same people). I've never assumed that the current team has a complete record of bugs and feature requests reported before the BandLab acquisition. No guaranteed "corporate memory."

I encourage everyone who hasn't already done so to give it one last shot. As we've seen, there's a higher priority for bug fix/usability.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 10:38 PM, satyabrata satapathy said:

We need a Cakewalk Bandlab midi controller

You mean like this?
VmJl1Qto1Fffzi3%2BFQE=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&

It was great idea until after a few major releases it became a bit more and more incomplete because the software gained more controls that the hardware could not handle.

As of BandLab taking over and OS changes IIRC a unit like this may not even work without updated drivers (which do not exist).

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2022 at 2:00 AM, Bapu said:

You mean like this?

It was great idea until after a few major releases it became a bit more and more incomplete because the software gained more controls that the hardware could not handle.

And of BandLab taking over and OS changes IIRC a unit like this may not even work without updated drivers (which do not exist).

What was the throttle control on the upper right used for?  Add a steering yoke and you'd have a great flight simulator controller..

20 hours ago, abacab said:

That was actually Cakewalk by Roland, from pre-Gibson days... 😉

Cakewalk could still collaborate with Roland to make their hardware compatible , it would be awesome,  i think we will still find some key mapping in midi controller setup

On 4/6/2022 at 11:00 PM, Bapu said:

VmJl1Qto1Fffzi3%2BFQE=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&

I almost bought into that ecosystem. That was when I only used SPlat. Then after the Gibson's shutdown and I began researching (aka buying) other DAWs I settled on my RME interface and Presonus FP-16. No complaints yet, except I have to manually go into Mackie mode for the FP-16 to work in CbB whereas I do not have to do that for most of my other DAWs.

4 hours ago, DanH002 said:

What was the throttle control on the upper right used for?  Add a steering yoke and you'd have a great flight simulator controller..

It was for the up and coming hover car feature that Craig Anderton proposed.

BTW, it never happened.

• Haha 2