"Synthfind" - an 80's story song

PhonoBrainer

Okay . . . I'm a bit confused, it sounds like your personality doing the vocals, recognized from other projects here, but somehow it comes across as a teenage version of your self . . . is this a new vocal plugin I can get from the Deals Forum ? Maybe an old analog tape speed up trick, emulating a time before your voice changed ?

Either way, so much fun poked around here in this one . . . kind of like stand up comedy songwriting . . . I totally love it, all of it !

Edited by noynekker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, noynekker said:

Okay . . . I'm a bit confused, it sounds like your personality doing the vocals, recognized from other projects here, but somehow it comes across as a teenage version of your self . . . is this a new vocal plugin I can get from the Deals Forum ? Maybe an old analog tape speed up trick, emulating a time before your voice changed ?

Either way, so much fun poked around here in this one . . . kind of like stand up comedy songwriting . . . I totally love it, all of it !

Ha I wish for that plug-in! $29!  

1 hour ago, David Sprouse said:

This has got to be your son, no?  Agree with the lyric sentiments.  Our heroes are selling their catalogs.  LOL.  This voice is great, you?

yep, my son doing the main vocal. He was good enough to put up with the Boomer lyrics! 

thanks for the comments!

Edited by PhonoBrainer

Hi Tom,

A time travelling synthological journey from the realms that time forgot to a modern instrumentation setting.

Your Son did a great job on the vocals but it may be too long for a pop track (famous last words).

Great story in the song and can't wait to see the video.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

best wishes

paul

• Like 1

"The 1980s - when minds were simple"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

This is right up there with 'Tin Foil Hat' as one of my absolute faves of yours.

Big shout out to your son btw - excellent vox.

And the read noises of the floppy disk - now that was a touch of class.

The video is going to be awesome, I can just feel it - all round brilliant!

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Andy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Sounds good, Tom. Should make for a great video.
Do the lyrics refer to an Ensoniq Mirage keyboard? 'Cause I had one back in the late 80's and even then I thought it sounded kinda bad.

-Bjorn

Hi Bjorn! thanks so much! The video will be tough. I will wear out the stock clips! Yes to the Ensoniq, which was quirky enough of a name to rhyme something with.  :)

5 hours ago, jack c. said:

i don't think this mix needs any help as it's beautiful.back in the day i created samples for the mirage.voices pefect tune.cold synth tones.

Thanks Jack! It took years of weekends to mix this but I think it came out OK! Not perfect, I hear a few things I'll get to. Hey, you worked on the Ensoniq? Did you create the original patches? Maybe Bjorn knows now whom to blame? :) Thanks for the comment!

10 hours ago, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi Tom,

A time travelling synthological journey from the realms that time forgot to a modern instrumentation setting.

Your Son did a great job on the vocals but it may be too long for a pop track (famous last words).

Great story in the song and can't wait to see the video.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

best wishes

paul

Hi Paul, how great is "synthological journey" ?!? I would not have thought of that, it's perfect. I'll pass kudos to my son, thanks. And when Hollywood calls, I'll cut 'em the 3:30 version :) Thanks again!

31 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Hey, you worked on the Ensoniq? Did you create the original patches? Maybe Bjorn knows now whom to blame? :) Thanks for the comment!

i created sample for the mirage as well as using it for meself.also moving samples all over the place.mr. wavesample.jack c.

2 hours ago, jack c. said:

i created sample for the mirage as well as using it for meself.also moving samples all over the place.mr. wavesample.jack c.

Jack, I was wondering where the "Mr Wavesample" came from.
The samples were good but the Mirage didn't play them back very well IMO.

13 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Jack, I was wondering where the "Mr Wavesample" came from.

dealing with wavesamples and moving samples around to get more sounds at the push of a button was very complicated and frustrating so i came up with that name.

The samples were good but the Mirage didn't play them back very well IMO.

never had that problem.jack c.

Hi Tom, definitely a narrative as there is no break in it until the 5:10 mark or so (the sequencer and other instruments all sound fine and the song really picks up at that time all the way to the fade)....unless you're Bob Dylan not too many folks can pull off a long narrative piece, that being said, the music backing the narrative is strictly supportive and not meant to take attention away from the vocal, so, really not much to change unless you write some more music to break up the narration....all that being said it's a cool song 👍🎵🎹🎧

On 4/4/2022 at 3:16 PM, DeeringAmps said:

👍's
what more can I say?

t

Thanks Tom!

On 4/5/2022 at 1:51 AM, Makke said:

Cool! Nice rhytm and vocs. good variable sounds and arrangement. Well done  mix sounds great.

Thanks Makke!

On 4/5/2022 at 9:46 AM, Larry T. said:

Hi Tom, definitely a narrative as there is no break in it until the 5:10 mark or so (the sequencer and other instruments all sound fine and the song really picks up at that time all the way to the fade)....unless you're Bob Dylan not too many folks can pull off a long narrative piece, that being said, the music backing the narrative is strictly supportive and not meant to take attention away from the vocal, so, really not much to change unless you write some more music to break up the narration....all that being said it's a cool song 👍🎵🎹🎧

This was one of my biggest concerns from the get-go, the long narrative getting to be samey samey. The original had no little breaks or quotes to space the verses. So I added some . . . but as you rightly point out I am no Bob Dylan! I do think I added a fair few instrumental and "song quote" changeups as the thing goes along . . . many thanks for the comment!

On 4/5/2022 at 9:54 AM, Old Joad said:

That was cool, I really enjoyed that👍

Thanks OJ, glad you liked it!

• Like 1

@PhonoBrainer To me the vox sounds in a slightly different space to the backing.  That semi break down at 3:41, perhaps if the vocal changed rhythm to, more spoken?
As noted the backing does become very repetitive, that change at the end could be a middle 8?

Mix is not to bad here on the Events other than what has already been observed. 

On 4/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

Very cool.  For me I would bring the bass down a little (hard to believe I am saying that!) - And I would do the same with the vocal.  The vox seems to ride above the mix.

Good work, good lyrics - look forward to the vid.

Yes I think I hear it that way as well, vocal on top of the mix. Will tinker. Down, vocal, down!!! thanks for the observation.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:42 AM, Wookiee said:

@PhonoBrainer To me the vox sounds in a slightly different space to the backing.  That semi break down at 3:41, perhaps if the vocal changed rhythm to, more spoken?
As noted the backing does become very repetitive, that change at the end could be a middle 8?

Mix is not to bad here on the Events other than what has already been observed. 

Thanks Wookie! My fear of adding a "middle 8" is jeeze the thing is already over 7 minutes long. Already quite taxing for the weary listener.  :) I appreciate your comments, thanks!