Dangerous Eyes

noynekker

Here's a new collaboration I'm doing with a former band mate . . . he helped create a lot of the synthesizer work on this one. As usual, trying to get that mix up to par, and any song comments always welcome from all of you ! (We were trying to get a video done for this one, but the budget just ran out . . . in other words my graphics card fried out, having a hard time getting a replacement, so video someday hopefully ?)

• Like 2

I like everything about this song.  The production (recording and mixing) is spot on, sounds very professional.  I like the synth parts,  creative and well written.
And the vocals sound great, along with well written lyrics.
If I had one thing to critique (and this is just my personal preference in songwriting), I would have added a rhythm guitar with sustained chords to offset the staccato-like instrumentation of the other parts.   But during the chorus you do have the sustained synth that kind of does the same job.
Great song, very nice work!

Edited by Lee Shapiro
added info
  • Like 1

Bruce , Absolutely Fantastic !  You guys make a Great team. I can't believe the quality of your vocals. I especially like the short falsetto parts.  My mix suggestions would be that I think you need some de-essing. It seems a little more apparent in the early part of the song. I also think you need a volume boost from 1:49 to 2:16. This section could use a little more drive on some of the instruments until the vocals come back in.   Incredible Song and Production !   This is one of the Best I've heard here.                     mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Whats not to like ?

Well that says it all, doesn't it!

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

think you need a volume boost from 1:49 to 2:16

Put the backing track on its own buss. Sidechain the vocal to duck it a couple of dB.
That would give me the little vocal boost I'd lobby for, and Mark the boost in the solo section.
Priceless!

t

Hey thanks everyone for the great feedback ! . . . looks like there are a few things to help the recording  get better.

@Lee Shapiro Thanks for the listen, yes, I notice the sustained synth notes in the chorus, are mostly enjoyed on headphones, on my speakers they seem too subtle, it's a delicate balance to not overtake the vocal.

@David Sprouse  David, very kind . . . thank you for having a listen.

@KurtS  don't know of "Oingo Boingo" perhaps I lead a musically sheltered life . . . thanks, I'll check it out

@AndyB01 Andy, the Genesis reference is great . . . I listened and followed them very closely for many years, my friend who did the keyboards on this project talks about Tony Banks all the time, "what would Tony do ?" no doubt a major inspiration.

@Paul Bush thanks so much for your positive comments, I know you like those eighties tributes . . . this may be more of a nineties tribute ?

@mark skinner Mark, you do have a keen ear . . . I'm certainly going to try and boost the instrumental section, now that you pointed it out ! Also, you mentioned de-essing the lead vocal a bit, and it does already have a de-esser on it, which I rolled off before final mix here, because I wanted the more speech recognition range in the high end . . . but, I'm thinking I rolled back too much . . . great and invaluable tips !

@DeeringAmps Hi Tom . . . as always, thanks for your mix help ! The Sidechain trick you've mentioned is something I've never tried, I just have the vocals on their own bus with all the effects there . . . but I will try it, thank you also for your positive vibe.

Well, as I mentioned, my desktop graphics card has an issue (such as not working at all) . . . when I try to run this project on my laptop, not enough oomph for this song and all the plugins I have going . . . but I will find a way, thanks again for all your input.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Good tutorial on sidechaning here. Its focused on the kick and bass; but its all the same principal

Freeze a bunch of stuff

t

Hi Tom . . . yeah, most of the VSTi tracks are already frozen . . . it's Adaptive Limiter on the drums, Ozone 9 on Master Bus, and all the FabFilter Dynamic EQ with Linear Phase settings that demand the attention of my CPU . . . go big or go home they always say ?

• Like 1

Catchy AF, love it. I'd boost the vocals just a smidge, and the drums just a smidge more. But that would only make it a different mix, not a better one. What you've got is wonderful!

Sheeny shiny synths! A boppin' 80's groove! Vocal performance is Howard Jonesesque. 

killer!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

LOL . . . I only remember Howard Jones as the songs that cleared the dance floor, when I was a stage performing lad . . . What is Love ? No One is to Blame . . . no one got it . . . they just wanted Stones and CCR, wrong clubs perhaps . . . just like my excuse for not making it as a pro golfer either ?

Hey, why are you here and not watching the Grammys ?

15 hours ago, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi noynekker,

Reminded me of Thomas Dolby or Howard Jones too.

Very professional and excellently mixed.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

best wishes

paul

Thank you Paul for having a listen, glad you enjoyed !