Death Spiral

Citizen Regen

Before Kai Steines joined the band we asked Ryan Pearce to help us out on a song. Lyrics and credits are below.

Ken Nilsen - Vocals
Dave Townsend - Keys
Ed Kocol - Bass
Ryan Pearce - Guitars
Hugo Ribeiro - Drums

Death Spiral © 2022 Citizen Regen

Verse 1:
Trash in the streets was our first crime
That formed a long line, of our behavior

Pre Chorus 1:
Now we're running out of time
To diffuse this global land mine

Chorus 2:
Our planet is on a death spiral
Our abuses went totally viral
What will it take to become sterile 
And back away from our death spiral

Verse 2:
Never forget the pain of the past
Small victories may be the last of our lifetime

Repeat Pre Chorus
Repeat Chorus

Bridge:
Never turn away, never give up the day
Whatever comes our way, we'll make light from the grey 

Verse 3:
Old guard leaders haven't a clue
They don't know what to do about the future

Repeat Pre Chorus
Repeat Chorus

Verse 4:
Time will tell if we survive
If we will be alive, to see all our tomorrows

Repeat Pre Chorus
Repeat Chorus
Repeat Chorus

• Like 4

Yes, bapu did the mix. I think he's getting better at it, too. Nothing better for polishing your mixing chops than being handed a big pile of beach detritus and then being asked to please make a beautiful stained-glass window out of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was just listening again...  Man, there's a lot of things to be impressed with in there!  😉👍

We watched Spinal Tap last night.  I hadn't seen it for years and my roommate had never seen it.  However, it makes me wonder...  So when are you guys touring Japan? 😁

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Nothing better for polishing your mixing chops than being handed a big pile of beach detritus and then being asked to please make a beautiful stained-glass window out of it.

The first time I heard the word detritus I had to look it up. Weird Paul used it in his song Maybe You'll Find Some In The Garbage.

@Bapu

Great song. I don't hear a thing I would change. I didn't realize until just now that Citizen Regen was you. Glad you posted it in the CH. It's pretty rare I get to these parts anymore. I see it's been really active here lately though and that's good to see!!

• Like 1

I had the "figuring out the Irish accent" moment with this. As in, as an American, when you first watch a show with heavy accents (thinking "Peaky Blinders", yes, I know, not pure Irish really, but same concept) it takes the ear a while to adapt to the accent so you can comprehend things.

So with your tune, the first third, I had absolutely no clue what lyrics were being sung. About half the way in, I got the jist of the heavy metal lingua franca and it all came clear.

that's all just preface to say you have done a lot of mix heavy lifting to make it fit, and it does, very well! Perhaps  even bring up the vocals a tad, or drop the guitar just a hair when they compete with vocals? Either way, I could see hundreds of hours spent on a mix like this to get it this good, and you've done a great job.

Heavy metal is not my thing so all of the above comments could safely be ignored. I don't want to depress you with my comments, for fear they could send your psyche down, downward, into some kind of downwardly-rotating vortex, a bit like a toilet flush, or perhaps being pulled inextricably into a black hole. There's a term for that - can't quite pick it at the moment . . .

nice job all!  -Tom

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:49 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

I had the "figuring out the Irish accent" moment with this. As in, as an American, when you first watch a show with heavy accents (thinking "Peaky Blinders", yes, I know, not pure Irish really, but same concept) it takes the ear a while to adapt to the accent so you can comprehend things.

So with your tune, the first third, I had absolutely no clue what lyrics were being sung. About half the way in, I got the jist of the heavy metal lingua franca and it all came clear.

that's all just preface to say you have done a lot of mix heavy lifting to make it fit, and it does, very well! Perhaps  even bring up the vocals a tad, or drop the guitar just a hair when they compete with vocals? Either way, I could see hundreds of hours spent on a mix like this to get it this good, and you've done a great job.

Heavy metal is not my thing so all of the above comments could safely be ignored. I don't want to depress you with my comments, for fear they could send your psyche down, downward, into some kind of downwardly-rotating vortex, a bit like a toilet flush, or perhaps being pulled inextricably into a black hole. There's a term for that - can't quite pick it at the moment . . .

nice job all!  -Tom

Hi. I never thought I sang with an Irish accent, or a specific accent at all, being Norwegian.

Thanks for the positive comment.

All the best.

To add: Are you thinking of spaghettification? In theory, that is what happens when you get close enough to a black hole.

Edited by Zargg

On 4/2/2022 at 3:56 PM, craigb said:

Was just listening again...  Man, there's a lot of things to be impressed with in there!  😉👍

We watched Spinal Tap last night.  I hadn't seen it for years and my roommate had never seen it.  However, it makes me wonder...  So when are you guys touring Japan? 😁

thx @craigb