See You Around Sometime (Cover)

AndyB01

Afternoon All 

Another song from The Lost Attic Tapes Project. This is a real old favourite of mine - not written by me I hasten to add.

So this is another one from the Lost Attic Tapes project, dating back to the late 1970s and early 1980s. This song was written by a hugely talented Welsh folk singer, name of Neil Lewis. I first heard Neil perform this around 1980 at a concert in Birmingham, where he played backing guitar to the Welsh comedian and folk singer Max Boyce (a name that will likely not resonate with anyone outside of the UK). Neil did a short set as the 'support act' and this was one of the songs he did - I was so completely knocked out with this song, I bought his album (who goes to a gig and buys the album of the support act)? I no longer have the album, as I sold all my vinyl years ago.

Anyway, all these years later I found the chords and lyrics buried away in the loft that I had 'worked out' all those years ago and scribbled down on the back of something or other in felt pen (as you did in those days), so I decided I'd try and do a new take on it,

Sadly, Neil Lewis is no longer with us, he died in his fifties in 2009 from a long illness, but he had a successful career in South Wales, Canada and Bermuda of all places. Anyway, it's my tribute to a very talented songwriter - I hope I've done it justice. Neil was a much better guitarist (and vocalist) than I am, but I've done my best with it. I'm not super happy with the mix (I think I recorded the guitars and vox a little hot) and I know there a few timing issues in the doubled vocal and BGV tracks that I really do need to fix, but it sounds kind of authentic so I left them in - things can be too perfect don't you think? 😉 

Anyway - it's mercifully short so enjoy. Nits and crits welcome as always.

Andy

https://www.bandlab.com/andyb01/see-you-around-sometime-guitar-track-only-405b95e3?revId=71a588c4-97b2-ec11-997e-0050f280f352

Edited by AndyB01
  • Like 3

Hey Andy . . . well this really is a great song, you've captured it very well here,  after too many years in the attic. Mix sounds a bit over reverbed by todays standards, maybe that's what they did in the 70's ? Really enjoyed the listen, and will search online for Neil Lewis . . . it's so cool you brought him back to the present like this !

Cheers guys - I did high pass the verb (at least I thought I did), I'll look at that. You won't find much online about Neil, one YouTube video I think and a couple of obituaries. He was a talented guy for sure.

Appreciate the listen.

Andy

Right, fixed a few things and have updated the mix so thanks for your help - I had left the reverb effect much higher than I intended on the vocals so I have dialled that off quite a bit - I think it sounds a little better. I know covers don't get much traction on here but I hope nobody minded me posting this one - something of a labour of love.

Thanks to those who commented for the nits and crits.

Here's the new version

Andy

Cheers David and Jesse - it's a tricksy one to play this. Not especially difficult, but trying to keep the triple-tracked guitars together is a challenge.

I'm a sucker for a good lyric and I really like the sentiment in this one - I always thought it was clever writing.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Andy

1 hour ago, jack c. said:

beautiful.did ya use a high past filter on total song.sounds a little boomy to me?jack c.

I did use a high pass on all the vocals and guitars Jack yes, it does have a lot a reverb on it (I have dialled it down quite a bit) - did you listen to the new mix or the old one?

I was after that sort of late 70s feel (you know, when Melodyne wasn't invented and all vocalists had was reverb and delay to spare them from their blushes); so it is kind of meant to sound that way. That said, I may have still over-cooked it. 🙂

There are multiple guitar tracks on here (three recorded as separate takes) and then two duplicates of each one to create a faux 12-string effect using Melodyne - one track to duplicate the top two strings and the other to octave the bottom four (it's a bit homespun but it kind of works). Those lower strings on those three tracks might not be helping matters in terms of the boominess you can hear but I was trying to create a really lush guitar sound.

Andy

Well I feel you have given this very excellent song a wider audience, and it totally deserves it. You have graciously shared a secret gem.

I'm glad I got to the second mix, which is improved indeed. It's that last five percent that it needed. Your vocals are great, smooth, and the harmonies work well at the end. The song's structure is not only good, it's 70's good. I picked it out on piano and it's fun to play! It might need a "C" part to make it 7:30, though.  :)

I noticed your second mix is a fair bit quieter?

Those guitars in the second mix are very very cool, the work you did paid off handsomely.

And it's not a "cover" if hardly anyone has ever heard it! Thanks for sharing this.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I picked it out on piano and it's fun to play! It might need a "C" part to make it 7:30, though.  :)

Thanks Tom, appreciate your ears and thoughts as always.

A piano part sounds cool 🎹 - it is a simple construct: AABABA so who knows what a bridge or an instrumental might add. I think it would sound great played on a real 12-string, as opposed to my faked version.

That said, its simplicity is part of its overall appeal (to me at least).

Andy

Very Nice Andy ..   I Really liked the laid back "living on the Island" feel. I see why he had a nice following in Bermuda. I thought the your vocals were very impressive.       Enjoyed it ..         mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:15 AM, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi Andy,

You're right this is a good song and you've done a great version of it here.

Love the harmonies + backing vocals as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

best wishes

paul

Hi Andy

I really couldn't add anything to what Paul said

Really great job, enjoyed it

Nigel

• Thanks 1