Kontakt updated - Scan doesn't locate new update

RBH

Title says most of the issue : I've updated Kontakt from 5.2......something or other to 5.8. Stand alone works  well. I tried to re-scan  ( manuel ) but my projects still call the older version. I searched like crazy to find the DLL  - no luck there. Any advice ?

Edited by RBH

I did attempt to follow each of the VST paths.... there are about 7-8 different paths and I didn't have any luck.  I found a utility online that sort of a specialized search  called  - Ultimate plug-in tool ... I'm going to try it out tomorrow- see if I can run it down. I'm a little learly of trying to mod the registry, but I understand that it can be fixed  if I can find older dll path.

Edited by RBH

If you’re using “Native Access” to update Kontakt which is the prescribed method, under the user icon’s (that’s the little head & shoulders) drop down menu is “preferences”, click on that and see the install vst paths that Native Access uses... Then check CbB Utilities>Cakewalk Plug-in Manger>VST Instruments (VSTi) & locate the “Kontakt” registered plugin and select to see it’s location... Copy the new to that location. That’s essentially what I do, as I keep all my NI stuff in a specific location...

Hmm, I just updated my Kontakt 5 to the latest (v5.8.1 , R43) a couple days ago using Native Access, then did a manual VST scan.  The updated DLL files were just there in my designated VST folder (No further action required).

After reading your post, I loaded Kontakt 5 into a project and the latest VST2 version shows up fine.

Check the dates of the kontakt DLL files in your VST folder, and confirm they were recently updated.  Also, after the manual scan, make sure there were no errors.

Thanks to all for the advice - I'm having a go at it this afternoon. I'll be able to wire my daw up to get online again - I remember some of the native access information  - I did install from the Native Access update paths and not from a download. The issue is that this is an inherited DAW and I have not done all of the initial installs - so sorting out all of the paths is a bit of a pain, There are a lot of VST paths to chase down, and I get lost in the adventure of it all. There are still multiple versions of Komplete on this computer ( 6,8,9  I believe - plus at least 2 earlier version of kontakt. It's a mess - but I've only been able to transfer about 1/3 of the licenses, so I can't really start from scratch as I would prefer.

Thanks Jon D - that is what I expected to find as well - but, it seems that the paths were not as clean and clear as I'd hoped.  I'll figure it out, your confirmation that it over wrote the existing Kontact DLL  is good information.

Edited by RBH

RBH,

I just remembered - and verified - that Native Access has its own preferences window, where you designate VST and download paths.  I set those paths up some time ago (when I first installed Native Access) to match my existing paths.

So my guess is you just need to go into the NA prefs, find the designated VST path, then add that location to your CbB prefs.

Edited by JonD

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

Doesn't the plugin manager in CbB list out all versions for you and the paths to them? 

True, but by knowing the Native Access prefs exist, the user is free to change the paths to his liking, rather than simply accept where NI thinks they should be.

Bottom line, the plugin manager is only helpful this way after the fact -- but if you're like me, it's preferable to utilize user-defined VST install paths whenever possible. 

Ok - I was able to get CbB to recognize the updated path for Kontakt  5.8 - life is good.  I did switch out and a few of the VST paths and re-scanned and got that main issue working. I was able to dis able a few rogue VST's with the Plug in manager to keep CbB from offering up duplicates of Kontakts' earlier versions. Unfortunately there are a number of VST's I wish I could disable by not scanning in the first place - but those VST paths point to a large number that I do need.  I'm not in a position where I can re-install and authorize all of the software from a fresh state.  As it is, there are over 700 VST's across about 10 different VST paths. There are a lot of legacy files across several different DAWS to keep everything relatively healthy.  Thanks all for the help.

Edited by RBH