Screen resolution issue

djwolf

Is there a function within Cakewalk to adjust my screen resolution?  I have a 4K UHD monitor which is set to HDR at 3840 x 2160 px, an i9000 CPU and a top of the range graphics card  and that was a substantial outlay.  I need it for my vision editing software and Cakewalk's music function completes the package.

Unfortunately, when I load up Cakewalk everything looks soft and a lot worse than it did on my old Win 7 system that lacked my current resolution.  From the reading I've done on the net, and most of this was out of date Sonar documentation articles that were written before 4K monitors were a thing, I am supposed to change my Windows resolution settings.  I haven't tried it yet and I assume I can restrict the altered resolution to Cakewalk but this would not be very satisfactory.  I have good eyes and while 3840 x 2160 would make everything too small and would require some scaling, I would like some control to increase the space for Cakewalk's windows.

The world is changing as always and the setup I have is coming down in price.  Since music creation goes hand in hand with vision expect a lot more attention to this issue over the coming months - 4K is on the rise especially in the area of art and media programs and anything that looks like it was invented for Win 95 won't fare too well.  So, what are my options? 

I use a  43" 4K TV (3840x2160 scaled at 150%) for my main monitor. Cakewalk looks great on it as does everything else. I have no idea what may be causing the problem you are having. I just wanted to let you know that 4K does work for others.

I agree with Base57. You should be able to scale your screen to a preferred resolution/size. There's some additional options in win10 regarding scaling and blurring.

I've been using a 2k/25" monitor for some years now, and have started planning a bigger screen due to ageing eyes. 1440 resolution is great for Cakewalk but 25" is too small. I wonder what size a 4k monitor should be for usable image at a native resolution. Is 32" too small? Maybe cheaper to buy better glasses 🧐

• Haha 1

I use a 1080P 23" monitor in the house, and a 1080P 27" in the studio.

The 23" is readable enough because I'm only about 18" from it. To get the native equivalent in 4K would be 4 x 23" monitors, in a 2 x 2 configuration.

For me a 46" monitor 18" away from me eyes would be far too much!

• 7 months later...

I know its a bit late but:

I had a similar issue where Cakewalk was running at low resolution and looked blurry, but going into the properties settings from when you right click on the program and then using the compatibility troubleshooter I was able to get a much better resolution.

I hope this can help someone in the future. :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I agree I also have a very high end 4K gaming screen, and video card. I sit approx 3 feet away from the screen and the graphics are very poor very granular. Has anyone found a fix to this yet other than the suggestions above?

Anyone from Cakewalk have any comments?

18 minutes ago, David A Ludwig said:

Base 57, what make/model 43in tv do you have? I'm thinking of going that route. Do you have both track view and console view open? Thanks.

It's a Sharp TV. I don't know the model number (I would have to drag out the snake pit and get behind it to find that).  I've been using it for about 3 years and I would not go back. I had been using a dual monitor setup and when I first got the TV I used all three. It didn't take a week to realize that everything I wanted to see would fit on the one screen. So I gave away one of the 27's and added the other to the dinosaur exhibit in my garage.

I can open both Track View and Console View but usually don't.  I typically open the GUI for my Orion 32+ at the top of the screen and then open CbB over the bottom 2/3 of the screen. So I have an I/O meter bridge above Cakewalk.

Credit where it is due. My wife bought it for me. She came home with it and a 60 inch for the family room. Together they were under $900. I love her.

• 4 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, Cameron said:

I know its a bit late but:

I had a similar issue where Cakewalk was running at low resolution and looked blurry, but going into the properties settings from when you right click on the program and then using the compatibility troubleshooter I was able to get a much better resolution.

I hope this can help someone in the future. :)

I know I'm later than you were but what exactly did you do?

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2020 at 4:29 PM, Yiz said:

I know I'm later than you were but what exactly did you do?

Just go to the program's location on your PC (file location), right click on it, go to settings, go to compatibility, and click on "Run compatibility troubleshooter". Select the display reason, and check if it works. Don't forget to save those settings.  :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This might happen if your display settings is set to more than 100% so to fix this open file in location (even if its the shortcut) - right click to select troubleshoot compatibility - select troubleshoot program - select open but doesn't display correctly -select when large scale font settings option. Test the program and save the settings. Unfortunately if you use a font scale setting of 150% or higher it might look tiny on your pc/laptop to restore the resolution but setting the font higher for program only makes it blurry. So you gotta choose between high res and tiny font or low res and normal font basically. hope that helps :)