What's your solution for rack-style functionality?

Jeremy Murray-Wakefield

Question

Hi all,

I'm about to start on a big multi-song project and I need the equivalent of Ableton's "Instrument Rack" functionality - i.e. to be able to Save&Load a set of parallel synths & effects as a single preset.

Does anyone know how to achieve this please?

I've investigated 3rd-party solutions without much success - "Carla" won't load as a VST on my system (some seemingly unsolvable QtGui error), Bluecat "Patchworks" uses too much CPU for no good reason, and other multi-plugin hosts don't seem to be loadable as plugins themselves. Would be good to know of others.

What do other people do to in order to Load&Save a multi-synth setup for exchange between songs?
Is there an alternative way of approaching the problem?

I will still need to be able to remote control the synth and effects parameters from a MIDI controller.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy.

5 answers to this question

A CbB-only solution might be to use track templates, where all the audio tracks for the synths are in a single folder. 

Another 3rd party solution might be Cantable, but personally I've only used this across machines via ADAT and not on the same machine as CbB.  

22 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

A CbB-only solution might be to use track templates, where all the audio tracks for the synths are in a single folder. 

Yeah, I just discovered this a few minutes before you posted it, and I have been doing a bunch of experiments with it.
- it's amazing! - I never knew that CW track templates could be multi-channel and even include nested folders!

It's the perfect solution to my needs! 🙂 

Edited by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Interesting you mention Bluecat's Patchwork being CPU heavy for you,

Using Ableton Live's Instrument Rack (as a reference point), I get 30% using both "Dune 3" and "Wavestate Native" synths at the same time, however in Patchwork, it goes up to 50% (and starts glitching) so that's a significant increase.