Atom (Now finished)

whoisp

9 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Very, very catchy tune.

Thank you Kevin, this is my penultimate Mix below, it is nearly there just some minor tweaks now. Not sure if to keep the pause i with the woman vocal at 2mins and the ending i am unsure about. i don't fade songs out ever, but ive faded and brought it to finish not sure if it works because iv'e listen to it too much. 

• Like 2

I like it, the last version (penultimate) with the cleaner beginning, its a great mix and the song is memorable, love the dynamics between heavy rap/drum/guitar parts, and the softer piano interlude and spoken word parts. Very cool. Good luck with the radio! I would say, for Song forum convenience, I'd vote for simply updating the original post, rather than requiring listeners to step through the evolving versions . . .although the development is interesting! I guess you could offer both paths in the same post, actually.

Anyway that's a super cool song, you should be proud!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Very interesting to watch this evolve. So glad you left all the mixes up.
Been quite the journey!

👍's

t

4 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I'd vote for simply updating the original post

I would agree the final mix should be at the top of the original post.
However, so often the OP throws up the new mix all excited, he's done everything the forum has suggested; "isn't it better?".
How can I tell if the original mix is gone?

On 4/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

I like it, the last version (penultimate) with the cleaner beginning, its a great mix and the song is memorable, love the dynamics between heavy rap/drum/guitar parts, and the softer piano interlude and spoken word parts. Very cool. Good luck with the radio! I would say, for Song forum convenience, I'd vote for simply updating the original post, rather than requiring listeners to step through the evolving versions . . .although the development is interesting! I guess you could offer both paths in the same post, actually.

Anyway that's a super cool song, you should be proud!

cheers,

-Tom

Thank Tom, great advise. Iv'e not posted the finished version, was going to update  with a video but ive had  emergency at home so probably a week or two away and i am super stuck on a video idea. I'm new to all this forum stuff and what is the correct way of doing things. I thought i update the progression of the track as a interesting process of development. Iv'e never done it this way before, i always post the final mix or penultimate but i was looking for feedback to see if a could compromise with ideas i had. Like the ending bringing it to a end didn't really work and a fade out, so i kinda compromised between the two and i think it works like that 

• Like 1

Well iv'e decide to do a soundtrack video, here is the theme. Ive run some Halo game footage off, some photoshop/video filters, then built a story line for video. Ive done 1min 30secs so far and its looking  and sounding pretty good. Ive Hale ban me for copyright it can go on my bucket list but its game footage im sure they like the publicity lol

0-youtube.thumb.png.44d3ae4f68585af31c6aaab4aac5292f.png

Hi guys, so i managed to finish it.... 

Here is the back story, my friend is a big time and hardcore Halo fan who gave me the idea in  around about way.  He was a disappointed with the TV Series soundtracks, so i created a soundtrack and did this edit to see what he thinks.   

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 4:01 AM, bdickens said:

Wow, that was impressive! It was really interesting too, to be able to see how it progressed from initial idea to finished product.

Thank you, im happy how it progressed 

I think it turned out great ! Good job developing the little idea ha. Haven't been able to be in my studio lately due to what I been going through (horrible wildfire smoke from a big wildfire nearby!) The mix sounds great over here!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, treesha said:

I think it turned out great ! Good job developing the little idea ha. Haven't been able to be in my studio lately due to what I been going through (horrible wildfire smoke from a big wildfire nearby!) The mix sounds great over here!

Oh know hope you all ok and get back to some sort of normality soon 

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2022 at 7:34 PM, jack c. said:

love the tones.how do ya mix/master?jack c.

Sorry late replay jack been fixing my van, turbo blow, so i had to spend money i didn't have. 

I mix in cakewalk with mixture of buses but keep some track dedicated direct to master pro channel.  I have a template before i start any project. I will use a drum room bus then to pro channel, depending on style i may have the kick direct not on bus. A backing vocal bus to pro channel but main vocal direct. Verb Bus, Delay Bus and sometimes i might us a FX or string bus depending on production I'm doing.

Also my "project template" starts with 24 tracks, some midi and some audio so i can just plug guitar in or mic or get a midi drum loop going to jam any idea i have. So i am not messing adding tracks, setting up record levels every-time with my audio interface.

I use "mix recall" so i have a mix recall snapshot scene to update for mix levels. I also rename my project every-time i open it each day or after major changes, if i am doing automation etc or trying something. Example, Atom_1_mix   Atom_2_Mix until i get to Atom_Final_Mix or Atom_Pre_Master or whatever you want to call it when you bounce it down to stereo to master with the export to studio quality wave which is 16bit Sample 44100 with the 64bit engine with about -6db headroom.

Then i import back into cakewalk to my "mastering template" which will have a track already in there to check against for loudness, things like Spotify  need to be about 14 LUFS. I also use LEVELS for monitoring levels which is all you need in my opinion for peak, stereo field, Dynamic Range and bass space.

I use Sonitus Multiband for mastering, it does the job for the 5 bands after i EQ the track low and high shelf on the cakewalk  quad curve EQ  any further manipulation i use the pro channel quad curve EQ  to get what i want before i do my final gloss. I may add if needed so fresh air plugin to master on mid and high, but be a smigging with added Softube Saturation, bearing in mind i use plugins like saturation also on my mix on some tracks for harmonics glue in a bus. 

My final gloss is Ozone 9 Elements to polish the eq and the stereo imager if needed. The maximizer which is compression with inelegant t release or attack and sustain etc control, ceiling and threshold working with the -6db headroom to get some emphasis on what vibe i want. I guess everyone does things different and doses depend on what vibe you aiming for but you will always get better and improve you templates and most important, you are conditioning your ears to your headphones or monitors with your settings.

hope one thing helps you 

P  

• Like 1