Cakewalk Crashes While Exporting Audio

Cakewalk crashes while exporting audio regardless of the file format chosen. It just closes and that's all. No errors displayed. Has anyone got an idea why this could be? The old Sonar X3 exports like a charm. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you very much!!!

Step One: Instruct CbB to be more verbose about errors. That will usually reveal, or at least provide a clue to, the source of these kinds of problems.

Open cakewalk.ini with Notepad. cakewalk.ini will be in %appdata%\cakewalk\cakewalk core.

Search on an entry named ExceptionHandlingSeverity. If you don't find it, manually add it in. Then set its value to 7. It will look like this:

ExceptionHandlingSeverity=7

This tells CbB to complain about any error. The default value is 1, which tells to keep quiet about most errors. After you've troubleshot this issue, you'll probably want to set it back to 1 again, lest it get too verbose.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2022 at 8:55 PM, bitflipper said:

Step One: Instruct CbB to be more verbose about errors. That will usually reveal, or at least provide a clue to, the source of these kinds of problems.

Open cakewalk.ini with Notepad. cakewalk.ini will be in %appdata%\cakewalk\cakewalk core.

Search on an entry named ExceptionHandlingSeverity. If you don't find it, manually add it in. Then set its value to 7. It will look like this:

ExceptionHandlingSeverity=7

This tells CbB to complain about any error. The default value is 1, which tells to keep quiet about most errors. After you've troubleshot this issue, you'll probably want to set it back to 1 again, lest it get too verbose.

Hey this doesn't work anymore in 2023. I'm having the same issue. Cakewalk crashes mid-export, but yeah when I turn off all plugins of course it works, but obviously, the track version without the plugins is not desirable so there's no point in that besides ascertaining the cause vaguely. I tried adding that text in the cakewalk.ini file but it didn't change anything. In fact, the crashes seem even more abrupt now than they were before, although it's probably not related.

What am I supposed to do now?

Edited by Bat Antal

Did the program create a crash dump? Look in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps. It will be named based on your project name plus date/time. Here's some more information about crash dumps.

If there is a dump file, I'd be happy to look at it for you, although the Cakewalk crew would be able to extract more information from it than I can. I should, however, be able to at least identify which plugin caused the crash.

If you're more of a DIY guy, here's a long-ago post I made about running the Windows Debugger (WinDbg) to analyze your own crash dumps. Scroll down to my second post in that thread.

2 hours ago, Bat Antal said:

when I turn off all plugins of course it works, but obviously, the track version without the plugins is not desirable so there's no point in that besides ascertaining the cause vaguely

Welcome to the forum.
I think the point of opening the project in safe mode and adding the VSTs in to see which one is problematic, is to eliminate the problematic effect or instrument in favor of one that works well with CbB.

^^^ This.

If there are only a handful of plugins, it may be faster to just narrow down the suspects via a binary test. By that, I mean disable half the plugins and test. If the problem persists, it's one of those plugins. If it doesn't, then it's one of the other half you didn't disable. Then disable half of the remaining suspects and repeat until you're down to one plugin.

• Like 1

If bitfilppers suggestion does not work for you ->

I had a song that I could never pinpoint the plugin causing the crash on export. My workaround was to take the final bus and add a send to an AUX track. I then recorded the AUX. Next, I opened the \audio folder and just copied the .wav to my song play folder. Not a great option, but it does work. It would be good to know what plugin is causing your crash.  

It would be good to report this to cakewalk. If it has a dump file, it should be here->

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps

(Replace xxxxx with your computer login name)

Submit a ticket here->
https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Edited by Max Arwood
added info