EZ Drummer 3 Pre-Order NOW LIVE!

cclarry

1 minute ago, abacab said:

Have you had a look at Band in a Box yet? It's neither free or cheap, but can do what you ask. It also comes as a DAW plugin version now, so you can drop it on a track, pick any style you prefer, and enter you chord progression.

https://www.bandinabox.com/

Thanks! I didn't know about it! I will check it out.

2 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Cubase won't scan VST 2

VST2 is still fully supported in C12 on windows - on mac it's still supported via Rosetta

neither BFD or SD are currently VST3 - although EZD3 is.   

Toontrack have committed to supporting VST3 in the superior line but they didn't say if that would be a paid upgrade - SD4 ?

13 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

7 pages and how much of it is NOT about EZD3?
I get it, we often get off on a tangent.
BUT, BFD, BiaB; I mean BFD!
Really, go get a room!
(or at least start a new thread)

t

sorry to rant...

EZD3 isn't actually released yet so I'm not sure how much there is to say - we could just quote sections from the website ?

I think it's totally on-topic to discuss alternatives to EZD in a thread about it ?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, simon said:

VST2 is still fully supported in C12 on windows

Thanks for clearing that up. Correct me if I'm wrong here. The writing is on the wall to phase out VST2 in C12 unless they changed course due to customer complaints.

Not pushing it here @DeeringAmps

I would like to know 

What is EZDrummer 3 compared to other drum programs? How is it better, if it is better? In what ways is it better? Can we quantify 'better' here?

And this is a psychological question-

Why would a person pre buy a product they have never heard or demo'd?

• Like 3

We/you can discuss what we/you want to discuss; all have made fair points.
Its just I have to take a look everytime this jumps back to the top of the heap.
BFD and BiaB; no BFD to me. (but hey, I don't run this forum, nor do I wish to)

That's my nickel98 regarding alternatives.

Just sayin'...

t

I did apologize in advance for the rant.
and do again 🙃

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

We/you can discuss what we/you want to discuss; all have made fair points.
Its just I have to take a look everytime this jumps back to the top of the heap.
BFD and BiaB; no BFD to me. (but hey, I don't run this forum, nor do I wish to)

That's my nickel98 regarding alternatives.

Just sayin'...

t

I did apologize in advance for the rant.
and do again 🙃

If we wanted to be legalistic about things,  any comment not pertaining to a "deal " is off topic. People post complaints occasionally -- usually people who don't contribute much to the community. But the complaints are rare. The majority of community members clearly enjoy discussions related to a library or plugins category and I think it's not the kind of problematic off topic posts to be concerned with in a forum as Simon explained very well. 

If you're bothered enough by long threads, you can simply ignore all of the posts that bother you and anything beyond the original post. If you're looking for the original deal content only, it's commonly  found in the original post. You can simply look at that and ignore the rest of the thread. 

Problem solved. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

No I was probably out of line and you had a valid point. 

Meanwhile the info on EZDrummer3 ?................................................................................................................................................................................................

*sound of a pin dropping*

Might as well move on. Nothing else to see here yet.

45 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

From the TT site. 

"Q: Is there a trial or demo version available?
A: No, there is currently no trial or demo version available."

@DeeringAmps  despite the OT tangents, opinions vs alternatives can be helpful for those with no direct experience with EZD/SD before plunking down full price. and ya, a specific/different thread would be more interesting/productive. jmho. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Correct me if I'm wrong here. The writing is on the wall to phase out VST2 in C12 unless they changed course due to customer complaints.

What is EZDrummer 3 compared to other drum programs? How is it better, if it is better? In what ways is it better? Can we quantify 'better' here?

And this is a psychological question-

yes - Steinberg have announced an intention to phase out VST2 in ALL their product range - I'm really hoping they have a rethink and at the very least provide a wrapper of some sort.  Suggested timeframe is about 2 years.

We can't really comment in detail on EZDrummer 3 as we only have the information that's been released but let's extrapolate from what we do know about EZD2 and their other more recent products:

EZD2 is a quick and easy way to get a good sounding drumtrack together.   The sample packs are first rate (IMO) and cover everything from classic rock / drum machine / quirky etc.  You can use it as a songwriting tool or just trigger it with a keyboard/edrums.  

EZD2 is getting a bit old now - and the GUI is pretty old fashioned and not resizable.   It looks like they have transplanted the GUI of the more recent products such as EZbass, which is great.  It looks like they have also added all the great integrated quick-songwriting tools from EZbass too.

Why would you buy it without hearing ?

well....:

1. it's cheaper to upgrade at the preorder price

2. We already know what it sounds like because lots of us have expansion packs that we already use - and we're anxious to use them with the new GUI/Engine

3. TT stuff is always great so there is very little risk.  TT have learned a lot over the years and the expansion packs just get better and better (IMO)

It's hard to say what is 'better' - personally I think SD3 is 'better' but that's much more expensive and for many use cases EZD hits the spot just fine.  It sounds great - is easy to use - has good support and lots and lots of expansion packs

YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jackson white said:

"Q: Is there a trial or demo version available?

There IS a 10 day trial of EZD2 available.

27 minutes ago, simon said:

Why would you buy it without hearing ?

See above, you can demo EZD2, purchase it ($147 at Thomann) before May 3rd and you're in.

My guess is that EZD3 will not be a quantum leap sound wise, however the workflow should be a good step forward.
I'm starting to bond with the grid editor in Superior, I'm starting to bond with dropping key and drum midi into EZBass.
Toon continues development and improvement across their product line: to me that's worth something...

I've stated this before, TT's existing midi drop zone in EZD2 and Superior is a godsend, for ME.
It does require, in my experience the "drop" be exactly 2 measures long; meaning bounce that clip! to two measures!!

@Tim Smith if you want some insight into how I use EZ2 feel free to PM...

t

take with a grain of salt my whining

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

There IS a 10 day trial of EZD2 available.

ya, saw that, but not sure i want to revisit a vst that is getting obsoleted in less than month if i read their faqs correctly.  didn't love what i'd heard of EZD2 (but tbh, never gave them a fair shot, assumed they were on par with AD2 which i didn't love) and EZD3 is claiming new kits...

I bought EZD2 earlier this week from

https://www.inta-audio.com/toontrack-ez-drummer-2-virtual-drum-software-serial-download-p6481

10% off with code VIP10 - works out about £107 with free upgrade to EZD3 - worked perfectly and added 3 pending EZD3 licences in my account (yep 3 - cos there are expansion packs for EZD2 etc)

I'm in the UK - and I have no idea if they will sell overseas - or if they remove the VAT for overseas etc....but was the cheapest I could find for UK folks

note: the serial wasn't instant delivery - I had to wait until next morning for somebody IRL to email it - so if you buy don't panic if they don't reply immediately.

I've only used this company once before and they seem legit - with a real UK shop.

@jackson white for me EZDrummer has always been just that; Easy!

For those that want complete control, EZD isn't the answer.

If you are going to program, or play in your tracks, maybe Toon isn't your answer.

The workflow with ToonTrack, that's always been the key for me.

Demoing EZD2 will give a user insight into how that works.

t

• Like 2

The Browser tab in EZD2 was a great addition when it came out. With the drag and drop, tap to find, and then results that are all laid out were you can easily try them where ground breaking, never been done before features.

Add to that the ability to tweak the midi clips before dragging into DAW was outstanding and unheard-of back when it came out. 

TT makes great products. I did not hesitate to upgrade from EZD 2 to EZD3.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1