EZ Drummer 3 Pre-Order NOW LIVE!

cclarry

Just now, PavlovsCat said:

Does anyone see a reason(s) to get ezDrummer3 when they already have Superior Drummer?  

I did :)

It's a different/quicker workflow - aimed more at songwriters and just getting something together quickly.   SD3 has lots of the features (not the 'bandmate' thing though) but it's not quite as 'quick and dirty' as the EZ range

You also get the EZD2 expansion (which is a bit meh in 2022 terms) but you will also get 8 (?) new kits, recorded in Hansa studios, that you can use in SD3 and the demos sound great

I think it's a low risk strategy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll toss this thought out there regarding why you might want EZD...

It appears that the EZD workflow was primarily designed to assist songwriters with ease of assembling a nice drum track to accompany their song. That's probably the biggest attraction for non-drummers like me that haven't got the patience or a clue how to build a proper drum track from scratch.

The drum kits and such are decent, but probably were not meant to compete with the leading drum plugins. Maybe TT are raising the bar in this regard the 3rd time around? We'll soon see! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, abacab said:

The drum kits and such are decent, but probably were not meant to compete with the leading drum plugins. Maybe TT are raising the bar in this regard the 3rd time around? We'll soon see! :)

I have a lot of EZX that I use in SD3 - and most of them are brilliant

In the Pocket
Dream Pop (currently on sale)
Electronic Edge
etc

those are amazing

edit

https://www.toontrack.com/product/electronic-edge-ezx/

https://www.toontrack.com/product/in-the-pocket-ezx/

check out the demos - these aren't 'conventional' kits (although TT do lots of those too)

Edited by simon
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, abacab said:

Maybe TT are raising the bar in this regard the 3rd time around?

One can hope; but I'm not expecting a quantum leap here in sound.
But, if makes getting a good backing track quicker/easier, I'll be tickled to death.
Following the upgrade insures (hopefully) the long term success of the developer.
I'm "invested" in Toon; pure and simple (its crack cocaine, lets face it).

t

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Does anyone see a reason(s) to get ezDrummer3 when they already have Superior Drummer?  

For me, yes. I have EZD2 and SD2. I hardly ever use SD2.

Take it with a grain of salt, and all - I'm in this to have fun, and EZD2 is really fun. I know that in terms of sound and flexibility, SD is a level above, but I don't actually have the skills to make the most of it. If I had more time to play with DAW stuff, maybe I'd be more inclined to use SD more than I do.

• Like 1

For those of you have ez2 and SD2 or 3, do you enjoy ezD because of the patterns? For me, I don't use the patterns,  I'm only focused on the included kits. Like Simon, I own a bunch of ezD kits and like them. Sure, they're not as extensively sampled as SD kits, but I  think they're really nice for what they are. I suppose I should start trying different ways of working,  as I simply just play a part in and if I like it I use it, if I don't I play it again.  But I have bad tendinitis and can't play very well anymore,  so I  should try editing. 

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

But, if makes getting a good backing track quicker/easier, I'll be tickled to death.

That's what I'm looking for!

If it's strictly kits that you are looking for, the other options may have more potential!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

Might have been mentioned already but does the upgrade for $79 apply if you buy EZD2 from a private sale (license transfer?)

it's mentioned in the TT EZD3 FAQ

unfortunately no - it has to be a 'new' sale - either direct from TT or via a reseller.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

For those of you have ez2 and SD2 or 3, do you enjoy ezD because of the patterns? For me, I don't use the patterns,  I'm only focused on the included kits. Like Simon, I own a bunch of ezD kits and like them. Sure, they're not as extensively sampled as SD kits, but I  think they're really nice for what they are. I suppose I should start trying different ways of working,  as I simply just play a part in and if I like it I use it, if I don't I play it again.  But I have bad tendinitis and can't play very well anymore,  so I  should try editing. 

I used to have the attitude that "I'm a musician - I'm not going to use somebody else's MIDI files because that 'cheating'"  -  I've changed my mind :D

Starting with EZKeys I realised that the midi patterns were really a really helpful and quick way of sketching out ideas, especially for somebody who's keyboard skills are pretty poor.  By the time you've hacked and edited the patterns in EZKeys the bear no real relationship to the original anyway.

I've started doing the same with SD3 too - the "tap to find" feature is brilliant too.

Also worth taking a look at is Jamstix - I know @Grem is a big fan.   I do have lots (and lots!) of reservations about Jamstix but the idea is brilliant,  And you can 'generate' really realistic drum parts. I just wish TT would buy it and integrate it into EZD/SD3.  Then it would work properly without the hilariously steep learning curve, GUI from 1983, bugs and (basically) abandoned development.

TLDR - give 'em a go :D

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

20 hours ago, simon said:

yes - Steinberg have announced an intention to phase out VST2 in ALL their product range - I'm really hoping they have a rethink and at the very least provide a wrapper of some sort.  Suggested timeframe is about 2 years.

We can't really comment in detail on EZDrummer 3 as we only have the information that's been released but let's extrapolate from what we do know about EZD2 and their other more recent products:

EZD2 is a quick and easy way to get a good sounding drumtrack together.   The sample packs are first rate (IMO) and cover everything from classic rock / drum machine / quirky etc.  You can use it as a songwriting tool or just trigger it with a keyboard/edrums.  

EZD2 is getting a bit old now - and the GUI is pretty old fashioned and not resizable.   It looks like they have transplanted the GUI of the more recent products such as EZbass, which is great.  It looks like they have also added all the great integrated quick-songwriting tools from EZbass too.

Why would you buy it without hearing ?

well....:

1. it's cheaper to upgrade at the preorder price

2. We already know what it sounds like because lots of us have expansion packs that we already use - and we're anxious to use them with the new GUI/Engine

3. TT stuff is always great so there is very little risk.  TT have learned a lot over the years and the expansion packs just get better and better (IMO)

It's hard to say what is 'better' - personally I think SD3 is 'better' but that's much more expensive and for many use cases EZD hits the spot just fine.  It sounds great - is easy to use - has good support and lots and lots of expansion packs

YMMV

Points well made. For anyone who is just now getting into VST drums though, if Toontrack or any other well known drum VST for that matter have their way, this is only the beginning. They probably don't want you to like the included kits too much, because at least part of that business is in selling the sample paks. I haven't traditionally gone in that direction because if I already had a  nice kit I could get out of it what I wanted. I see it like a drummer who has 20 drum sets. Not too many drummers have multiple drums. They use what they have. It wasn't that I couldn't buy the extra kits if I wanted them, I just never seen the need for it if I had a good kit.

The basic factory kits in many of the better drum programs will let you swap out one drum for another IN THE INCLUDED KIT. For me BFD 1&2 were like that.

Plus, I don't think everyone is buying a new drum program because the GUI was improved. Relearning a reengineered drum GUI might take time and time in the studio is important. If I worked well in the old GUI why would I want another one?

Just playing devil's advocate here plus I am cheap :) Geesh groceries are going up 40%. Do I want to eat or a new set of drums? I think my price was 20.00 less on this sale or 79.00 . I have the extra 20.00 buck when they ever get on to actually letting us try a demo. I don't want a 1 minute shmooze video. I want to know how the heck this thing works.

I think if you an existing EZD 2 user, and you want a resizeable GUI, you probably should upgrade at the pre-order price. I mean, let's face it, in comparison with the new GUI in EZbass the old ones suck...

If you are a potential first time buyer, you may want to wait until after release to see if EZD 3 is something you will actually want or use. :)

• Like 2