ADEQUATE ! (mix #2)

freddy j

After graduation my wife and I moved and lived briefly in Toronto.  While there we met a personable guy from Australia who was also temporarily living in Toronto.  Al had a great answer to any greeting inquiring as to his health or how he was doing  (e.g., how ya doin').  He would respond with a simple phrase -- adequate!  When my wife and I moved back to Florida I borrowed Al's phrase and started using it.  I was often humored by the responses of those asking.  Most were expecting the standard answers of  fine, great, etc.  Adequate usually knocked them off stride initially.  Not too long ago I receive a birthday card wishing me an "Adequate birthday'.  That knocked me off stride -- that was great!

That CARD reminded me of the past and prompted me to come up with an explanation and justification of my using the phrase  --  this song.  It is done up in a kind of funky bluesy style.  As usual the performance and mix are a bit rough and so I would appreciate any comments, crit.'s, suggestions, etc.

Thanks!  Oh and thank you Al for the phrase!!

ADEQUATE !

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

Edited by freddy j
addition
  • Like 3

Freddy J!

I like the vocals out front like that.

The backing vocals are cool. Did you do those too?

As always, with your tunes, the story is there, and I love songs that tell a story.

The only thing that threw me off a bit was the effect on the guitar.  I like the effect, not sure what it is, but i have used something similar myself, but it seemed to mess with the timing at the beginning.  Maybe try a different effect?

Freddy,

Love the wup wup BG vocals and the story behind the lyrics. The voc seemed a little out of sync at the beginning but was adequate (ha ha) after that.
I used to answer with "Mediocre" but then I had to explain myself all the time so I stopped.

I always enjoy listening to your music.
-Bjorn

Fun as usual, more than adequate song idearrr! Mixwise, whatever you are using for bass guitar (is it the lower strings on an actual guitar?) Is coming through a bit thick, maybe some eq notches in the bass instrument around 300hz would sling some mud out of the mix? Could be wrong, worth a shot.

Digging it though!

cheers,

-Tom

Hey Jesse.  Thanks!  Yes, I will have to take the blame for the backing vocals.  The guitar was my strat using the Sonitius WahWah VST set on the auto filter #1 (I did jigger around with some of the settings).  Given some of the comments above I listened several times to the first 2 verses & chorus - especially to the vocals.  Timing is an issue - I guess that I listened too much to the Buzzcocks when I was a young man.  I think that it might have been the vocals as suggested above and addressed that concern.  I think that it sound a bit better.  However, if you think that it still may be the lead guitar please let me know and I will address that!

Hi David.  I am glad that you liked the song.  I do appreciate your taking the time to comment.  Thank you!!

Hi Bjorn.  I agree the timing was a bit off and hopefully I addressed this problem (see comment to Jesse).  Please let me know if it still sound off to you.  Thanks, I always appreciate your input.  BTW, I have had to explain my use of adequate on more than one occasion.

Hi Tom.  I was using my Epiphone bass on this one.  I was EQ'ing the bass around the 400 level.  However, taking your suggestion I dumped that and tried EQ'ing at the 300 level. Hopefully that is better.  I was having a bit of a problem with the bass stepping on the vocals and put less volume on it.  That also may have contributed to the "muddy" sound.  Thanks very much for listening and for your input!!

On 3/30/2022 at 1:42 PM, Jesse Screed said:

The only thing that threw me off a bit was the effect on the guitar.  I like the effect, not sure what it is, but i have used something similar myself, but it seemed to mess with the timing at the beginning.  Maybe try a different effect?

Yes defiantly the minute I started playback my very first reaction was" Oh, Oh timing is way off here"  

Are you using an audio interface in ASIO mode? The reason I ask is if not that could explain tracks being out of sync. It's kind of hard to tell because the music is so far back in the mix. The Blues is normally Bass and drums up front with lots of guitar etc. 

If it is the guitar making a mess then try setting the tempo to the same as the project. Normally an auto wha is triggered by the attack on your guitar strings so you can control the envelope just like a foot pedal by playing style. But Sonitus is tempo based so if the tempo is set wrong it sucks. 

Screenshot (371).png

Edited by John Vere

Hi tom.  Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  It is much appreciated.

Hey Andy.  Thanks very much for the kind words.  Hmmmm,  a harmonica.  I may just have to dust it off and try it.  Thanks!

Hi Wookiee.  Thanks very much!  I am glad that you liked it!

Hi Nigel.  Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and for your comments.  I am still working on the timing but my limitations with mixing are thwarting me finding a solution.  I'll keep at it.  Thanks again!

Thanks very much John.  I appreciate your suggestions.  In answer to your questions I am using an old Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface and it is set for AISO.  I did check the Sonitus Wah VST and it is set for the a tempo of 105 which is the setting of the Cakewalk DAW (below).  This is a rather busy song and I have used a different drum loop than I normally use.  I have set the lead guitar wah riff to come in at the beginning of the bar however, the snares follow that and I purposely had the vocal come in with the snares.  The foot pedal follows a beat that I could not follow very well but tried to tie the bass to it.  Might that be the problem?  Again, I would appreciate any further suggestions.  Thanks again.

Sonitus WahWah capture.JPG

Edited by freddy j
corrections

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul.  Thanks for listening. I'm glad that you liked it.  Doing this stuff is great therapy and gives me a chance every once in a while to laugh at situations and at myself.  Thanks also for your kind words.

Hey Allan,  Thanks for listening and the kind comments.  BTW, I very much enjoyed your recent post!

Greetings Makke.  I appreciate the kind words and thanks for taking the time to listen.

Hi Steve.  Now that I have done the song, it reminded me that I have to send a note to Al and thank him for the inspiration.  Thank you very much for listening and for you kind words.

Thank you Noynekker.  I appreciate your kind comments and I'm glad that you enjoyed it and had fun with it.  I had a lot of fun in doing this song.

Freddy , I Really enjoyed that !  It kept me Smiling to the end for a good reason.   We used to have band practice here at my place . My drummer called me after getting home late one afternoon.  My wife had taped a big sign on his passenger door. "For an adequate time call Ron"  with his cell number on it , he got several calls .   His wife loved it.        Loved the song ..   mark

Edited by mark skinner

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark.  My apologies for taking so long to respond but I have been dealing with internet provider problems.  I am very glad that you enjoyed the song and that it brought on a smile.  I absolutely loved your story.  Your wife must have a great sense of humour.  Thanks for taking time to listen, the kind comments, and the great story.