Arturia V Collection 8 Deal

smallstonefan

FWIW, I upgraded from V6 to V8 in Sept. 2021 for $149. 

The deal at that time included the SQ80 as well as "Dust Materials" and "Raw Machinery", which I think are preset packs for the SQ80.

Worth noting that the receipt shows that the only thing I bought was the V8 upgrade.

My Products on the Arturia website shows V8, SQ80, Dust Materials, and Raw Machinery as 4 seperate products, so I'm guess those latter 3 items were 'free' with the V8 upgrade at that time, but not technically part of V8 per se.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2022 at 3:53 PM, abacab said:

ACT, ugh! I gave up on trying to control my DAW with a keyboard. I have a Roland/Cakewalk A-300PRO with integrated ACT for Cakewalk and Sonar. That was a bit too fiddly for my taste, but it worked. I haven't used it in ages. I think if I was doing a lot of intensive recording/mixing I would want an actual control surface with motorized faders.

So for now I have focused mainly on commanding virtual instruments with my MIDI controllers, minimizing mouse use for them. Makes using soft synths a bit more like actual hardware, twiddling knobs, etc. The KeyLab 61 Mk II is the best of the bunch for that IMO, especially with the seamless integration for Arturia Analog Lab and V Collection instruments. But it's also a breeze to just MIDI learn your knobs and faders using MIDI CC for any other soft synths with learn capabilities.

As far as DAW integration goes,  the KeyLab Mk II comes out of the box with magnetic keyboard button overlays and integrated mapping modes for specific DAWs such as: Live, Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, Studio One, and Reaper. It also offers MCU and HUI mapping for other DAWs that may be compatible with those modes. That's probably where Cakewalk would fit in, but haven't tried to set that up.

Studio One, Reaper, and Ableton Live are DAWs which I have in addition to Cakewalk. Live is the only one that I have attempted to control with KeyLab so far, and the transport controls work plug and play, as well as track select, solo, mute, record, volume and pan. But I've only scratched the surface of that. Be interesting to see what the pads can do.

Yeah, that's where I think Cakewalk will fit probably in best HUI or MCU on the MKII 61. Going back to instrument focus with the push of a button will then let you adjust and automate the synths in real time. Arturia doesn't map every control as that would be close to impossible for all of them. They map the most used controls. I'm guessing additional controls could be mapped. The main things I see about V8 that might slow someone up initially is learning each instrument and what you need to do to make it do what you want it to do. Alternately you could use mostly presets, but you still need to learn what they are and there are LOTS of them.

I haven't used Reaper much. It reminds me of a DAW that people who like to play in Linux might use.:) Most of the others I have used.

Until I got this controller the only thing I had with pads on it was the QuNeo. Not sure if they still make them. It's a quirky little controller.

I tried the pads on the MKII in Ableton last night. Love it!  Suggestion- Drag the MPC like kit into the instrument pane. Click on any pad in the Ableton drum pads and add any sample you want into it. Now tap the pads. Instant drummer.  The master drum track in Ableton breaks down into the individual pads as sub tracks which can each be automated and controlled.

2 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

The main things I see about V8 that might slow someone up initially is learning each instrument and what you need to do to make it do what you want it to do. Alternately you could use mostly presets, but you still need to learn what they are and there are LOTS of them.

You are correct. An alternative to the instrument browser or Analog Lab for auditioning the V Collection presets is with Komplete Kontrol. The Arturia presets are NKS ready, so you can listen to the short previews of the presets without loading them first. And the search & tagging system works well to narrow down the list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

I tried the pads on the MKII in Ableton last night. Love it!  Suggestion- Drag the MPC like kit into the instrument pane. Click on any pad in the Ableton drum pads and add any sample you want into it. Now tap the pads. Instant drummer.  The master drum track in Ableton breaks down into the individual pads as sub tracks which can each be automated and controlled.

Since I am not much on drum triggers or drum pads, I think my main interest with the pads would be for triggering scenes and clips in Ableton.

Here is a tutorial video I found that shows you how to select rows of clips in multiple banks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

The main things I see about V8 that might slow someone up initially is learning each instrument and what you need to do to make it do what you want it to do. Alternately you could use mostly presets, but you still need to learn what they are and there are LOTS of them.

In that case I would definitely skip the V Collection and just use Analog Lab. Same or similar thousands of presets and much, much simpler. 
It’s what I did for a long time. Got the Analog Lab with their (first) MiniLab controller and upgraded that to V Collection 4. 
Next, it was a pleasure to see Analog Lab getting upgraded for free each time the next V Collection was launched, so I stayed with the Lab, as it held all (or most) of the presets, with some easy tweaking to boot. 
Only upgraded the V Collection from version 4 to version 8 just now, because of M1 native compatibility (and price). 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Hi all. New to Arturia. Interested in the Mini V, Moog synth. Do individual instruments ever go on sale? Thanks. 

To answer the question, I don't recall seeing the individual V instruments going on sale. If you want to buy an Arturia synth, you may as well just buy the whole collection when on sale for nearly the same price.  You may get a special discount based on Arturia products that you already own.

21 hours ago, abacab said:

You are correct. An alternative to the instrument browser or Analog Lab for auditioning the V Collection presets is with Komplete Kontrol. The Arturia presets are NKS ready, so you can listen to the short previews of the presets without loading them first. And the search & tagging system works well to narrow down the list.

Is this two different sets of sounds? One NKS and the other Arturia? Or will my Arturia sounds scan in Komplete and be seen as instruments in the GUI? I downloaded Komplete control but don't have an NI controller. The problem with the NI controller is, well.....it lacks as much tactile control IMHO. Still a great addition to any setup that uses a lot of NKS libraries.

21 hours ago, Fleer said:

In that case I would definitely skip the V Collection and just use Analog Lab. Same or similar thousands of presets and much, much simpler. 
It’s what I did for a long time. Got the Analog Lab with their (first) MiniLab controller and upgraded that to V Collection 4. 
Next, it was a pleasure to see Analog Lab getting upgraded for free each time the next V Collection was launched, so I stayed with the Lab, as it held all (or most) of the presets, with some easy tweaking to boot. 
Only upgraded the V Collection from version 4 to version 8 just now, because of M1 native compatibility (and price). 

To be fair I haven't looked yet to see if there are classifications that can be accessed in a search field to make the task of finding a certain sound personality possible. I will see if V collection is integrated into the lab. Not sure. The whole idea seems to be to allow manual control ( like a real synth) with the presets there as ways to get close to something you might like. MY initial impression (which may not be correct) was it's a bunch of souns in the presets someone named. Many of them not really indicating to me what they really are, and this seems to happen a lot with soundbanks all over. They had to name it. They tried to name it something that might help, but they often fail. For instance there's a sound called "Balls To The Wall". I figured it was aggressive but not much else. Let's  just say I found it underwhelming if going by the title.😁

If someone had brand X synth at one time I guess they might understand the controls better than  someone who doesn't know that hardware.

I will say it's fun to play with and maybe I'll land something I can use in a mix.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

To answer the question, I don't recall seeing the individual V instruments going on sale. If you want to buy an Arturia synth, you may as well just buy the whole collection when on sale for nearly the same price.  You may get a special discount based on Arturia products that you already own.

I seen a few of the separate synths for sale but they were WAY pricey compared to buying the entire collection. If you were to buy two of them you could almost buy the V collection, and on this sale if I were considering buying one with the V collection at half price I would just get the collection, but that's me.

@Billy86 For the person who might think this is not a good time for this buy, there are plenty of preset emulations out there either for free or for a lot less. The tradeoff is you might miss real time control for some of them and be stuck with presets. Having said that I have used some very convincing moog patches I liked in the AIR collection. If you can map some of those controls to a midi device you might get something usable you like even in real time.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

Is this two different sets of sounds? One NKS and the other Arturia? Or will my Arturia sounds scan in Komplete and be seen as instruments in the GUI? I downloaded Komplete control but don't have an NI controller. The problem with the NI controller is, well.....it lacks as much tactile control IMHO. Still a great addition to any setup that uses a lot of NKS libraries.

The NKS sound previews are provided by Arturia to accompany their presets. They are actually hidden .ogg audio files installed along with the Arturia presets. When they are used in NKS compatible Komplete Kontrol, just clicking on the preset name in the KK browser lets you hear a few seconds of what the preset sounds like without having to actually load it into the instrument.

Edited by abacab