Arturia V Collection 8 Deal

smallstonefan

Well, If I hadn't dug deeper and read @abacab 's video link and description I would be a little richer but I wouldn't have the V collection 8.

I went from " I'm not dropping 99.00" to " I think I could use this". 

I downloaded the collection, played with a bunch of the synths. They are probably the very best sounding classic synth emulations I have ever played. I have no idea how true to the originals they are and I guess I don't care.  Using the Keylab MKII is really nice with these synths. 

Another pretty good deal on the deals forum!

Thanks James!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

Using the Keylab MKII is really nice with these synths

Nice integration is a bonus if you have one of those! I got my KeyLab MkII last year. Switch to "Analog Lab" mode, and you are good to go. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Well, If I hadn't dug deeper and read @abacab 's video link and description I would be a little richer but I wouldn't have the V collection 8.

I went from " I'm not dropping 99.00" to " I think I could use this". 

I downloaded the collection, played with a bunch of the synths. They are probably the very best sounding classic synth emulations I have ever played. I have no idea how true to the originals they are and I guess I don't care.  Using the Keylab MKII is really nice with these synths. 

Another pretty good deal on the deals forum!

Thanks James!

They also take up 20gb of space.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paul Young said:

They also take up 20gb of space.

That's a definite plus in favor of Arturia compared to 200GB for IK Syntronik 2 MAX.🤪

So let's see, for Arturia that's 20GB divided by 28 instruments, so 714 MB average per instrument. Not too bad, considering the detailed artwork and scalable interfaces.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's a definite plus in favor of Arturia compared to 200GB for IK Syntronik 2 MAX.🤪

So let's see, for Arturia that's 20GB divided by 28 instruments, so 714 MB average per instrument. Not too bad, considering the detailed artwork and scalable interfaces.

Definitely.  At one time I had no idea Arturia was sample based.  I am an Artuia fan boy I haven;t scratched the surface of V8 and effects.

11 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Definitely.  At one time I had no idea Arturia was sample based.  I am an Artuia fan boy I haven;t scratched the surface of V8 and effects.

In general, Arturia synths are not sample based, but a few of their modeled instruments were inherently sample or tape based, such as the CMI, Emulator II, Synclavier,  and Mellotron. So it's only natural for those to have extra sample libraries to support that functionality.

Did you know that you can even import your own samples into the CMI, Emulator II, Synclavier, & Mellotron?

Trivia: Did you realize that the original Fairlight CMI II that Arturia based their CMI V on was priced at nearly $32,000 in 1982 dollars?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

At the moment going for $99 at multiple dealers 
Arturia MiniLab MkII 25 Slim-key Controller | Sweetwater

Better yet, grab one of these if you can! KeyLab Mk II. :)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyLab2-61BK--arturia-keylab-mkii-61-keyboard-controller-black

As low as $23/month with 24 mo. financing

Edited by abacab

14 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Nice, but at $549.00 can't personally justify it at the moment.

I hear ya! But last year I got annoyed that my current biggest controller only had 4 octaves (49 keys), and decided I wanted a really solid 61 key main controller. That 5th octave is handy with key switched sample libraries.

I also missed the feel of my old 90's Rompler keyboards, all with 61 keys and built like a tank. Rather than the cheap plastic and rubber controllers that are dime-a-dozen nowadays. The cheap Arturia KeyLab Essential range of keyboards don't even have aftertouch. WTH!

However the KeyLab Mk II feels like a real musical instrument that is built to last! Metal chassis, and a keybed like Arturia used on their hardware synth. With aftertouch. Very much like an old fashioned synth workstation, but with plenty of knobs and sliders for controlling virtual instruments.

• Like 2

I picked up the 61 open box and got a decent deal on it. I still haven't mapped mine to Cakewalk yet. Since I have a computer keyboard right in front of the MKII 61, some things are faster using keystrokes. The mixing capabilities along with Arturia synth focus are what  shine for me on that hardware so far.

Unfortunately I have bugs in it with Cubase I'm still working through, and Cubase is still getting a few bugs out of their new midi controller features for version 12.  In Ableton though, it's fully integrated. Faders are pick up, which takes some getting used to. Writing automation with it in Ableton is nice. I haven't checked to see what the implementation in Ableton is for the drum pads. I'm guessing they probably change scenes in Ableton in addition to drums. My only regret as a keyboard player is I think I should have probably looked at the 88 key version. I'm getting by with the 61.

TBH I am not a fan of ACT in Cakewalk, mainly because I never made it work. If there is something Cake could work on that would be it. Scripts for the most common controllers. I can probably make it work in Mackie mode, but don't have a lot of time to diddle with it. I want to go into my setup and make music, not spend an hour poking around to try to figure things out. I realize ACT will work. I just haven't figured it all out.

ACT, ugh! I gave up on trying to control my DAW with a keyboard. I have a Roland/Cakewalk A-300PRO with integrated ACT for Cakewalk and Sonar. That was a bit too fiddly for my taste, but it worked. I haven't used it in ages. I think if I was doing a lot of intensive recording/mixing I would want an actual control surface with motorized faders.

So for now I have focused mainly on commanding virtual instruments with my MIDI controllers, minimizing mouse use for them. Makes using soft synths a bit more like actual hardware, twiddling knobs, etc. The KeyLab 61 Mk II is the best of the bunch for that IMO, especially with the seamless integration for Arturia Analog Lab and V Collection instruments. But it's also a breeze to just MIDI learn your knobs and faders using MIDI CC for any other soft synths with learn capabilities.

As far as DAW integration goes,  the KeyLab Mk II comes out of the box with magnetic keyboard button overlays and integrated mapping modes for specific DAWs such as: Live, Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, Studio One, and Reaper. It also offers MCU and HUI mapping for other DAWs that may be compatible with those modes. That's probably where Cakewalk would fit in, but haven't tried to set that up.

Studio One, Reaper, and Ableton Live are DAWs which I have in addition to Cakewalk. Live is the only one that I have attempted to control with KeyLab so far, and the transport controls work plug and play, as well as track select, solo, mute, record, volume and pan. But I've only scratched the surface of that. Be interesting to see what the pads can do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Native Instruments has the deal as well and states: "V Collection 8 exclusive offer ends April 19, 2022", so I guess that's when V Collection 9 will drop.

It's possible. Release history:

V Collection 6 released on Dec 2017
V Collection 7 released on April 2019 (16 months from previous release)
V Collection 8 released on Dec 2020 (20 months from previous release)
V Collection 9 release on April 2022 would be 16 months from previous release

• Like 1