pls, in MIDI event list, how assign to each track a specific MIDI channel and the related voice of the synth?

dogufo

13 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Do you mean "set the patch"?

@57Gregy hi, thanks for your message; ... my question was about how to be able to hear every patch of every track when the track is "on" or "highlighted" (not activated or played) ...that is when you click on the track and highlight it. Somebody wrote me to indicate an output channel from cakewalk, but I don't find where to indicate it, because for example from the dropdown shown in my screenshot in the blue rectangle,

ScreenShot_dogufo_3_traccia_1_channel_1_13-04-22.jpg.861719444490513ded908fe93bdf6ac2.jpg

it doesn't let me indicate it but I can listen to the only patch of the MIDI channel which is indicated in the synth (my synth is vintage Yamaha SY77), for example, the MIDI channel 12 or 13 like in this screenshot:

ScreenShot_SY77_channel_set.jpeg.dea841c78e33036282707667188df557.jpeg

As I wrote above, from a user of the facebook group of the synth yamaha SY77 I was explained that for each track I have to assign a number of program change; reading the table in the manual of the synth I found the numbers to assign, so I wanted to ask ... how to assign them for each track in the CbB software?

Thanks again, 😄

Edited by dogufo

@dogufo - here's a video showing you what you need to do in CbB:

SY77-setup.gif

PART 1 - Importing the SY77 instrument definitions - this only needs to be done once.

1. Go to Preferences->Instruments
2. Click the Define button
3. Click the Import button
4. Navigate to C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Instruments
5. Click on Yamaha.ins and click Open
6. Click on all of the SY77 definitions and click OK
7. Click Close to get back to preferences
8. Click on the Channel 1 of the MIDI device connected to the SY77, then hold down SHIFT and click on Channel 16 of the MIDI device connected to the SY77
9. Cick on "Yamaha SY77"
10. Click on Channel 10 of the MIDI device connected to the SY77
11. Click on "Yamaha SY77 Drum 1"
12. Click Apply, then Close

PART 2 - Assigning MIDI Ports on a track

1. Insert your MIDI track
2. Choose the MIDI Output Channel
3. Choose which SY77 bank you're using
4. Choose the patch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@dogufo - here's a video showing you what you need to do in CbB:

SY77-setup.gif

PART 1 - Importing the SY77 instrument definitions - this only needs to be done once.

1. Go to Preferences->Instruments
2. Click the Define button
3. Click the Import button
4. Navigate to C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Instruments
5. Click on Yamaha.ins and click Open
6. Click on all of the SY77 definitions and click OK
7. Click Close to get back to preferences
8. Click on the Channel 1 of the MIDI device connected to the SY77, then hold down SHIFT and click on Channel 16 of the MIDI device connected to the SY77
9. Cick on "Yamaha SY77"
10. Click on Channel 10 of the MIDI device connected to the SY77
11. Click on "Yamaha SY77 Drum 1"
12. Click Apply, then Close

PART 2 - Assigning MIDI Ports on a track

1. Insert your MIDI track
2. Choose the MIDI Output Channel
3. Choose which SY77 bank you're using
4. Choose the patch

@msmcleod first let me thank you, thank you, and thank you again for your time and hard job editing the video; I must tell you also that I did it already so I think that´s  done as described in the video:

CbB_assegnazione_strumenti_SY77_14-04-22.jpeg.e36d424d6c3e23f032b5a8ede6972b8b.jpegScreenShot_dogufo_3_traccia_1_2_3_SY77_settings_14-04-22.jpeg.2fd8bcd369e7d61da54ac90ac574b2e0.jpeg

sorry, your video I think it could not be paused, so unfortunately I can´t clearly understand what is the meaning of your last sentence: "you may want to start your project at bar 2 to give the SY77 the chance to change the sounds"

even tho, unfortunately, the issue still remains, because, when I click on the track in CbB, (I remark: when I click, highlight the track, not when I play  or record it)  I cannot hear the patch inserted as above, but I hear the same patch which comes from the channel 12 or 13 which is assigned in the synth SY77:

ScreenShot_SY77_channel_set.jpeg.0c45ec2c2b3d40523555f0a2df53ca30.jpeg

... if I set Kbd Trans Ch no. 12 I can hear the patch of track 1 on both tracks 1 and 2, ... if I set Kbd Trans Ch no. 13, then I can hear the patch of track 2 on both tracks 1 and 2; ... instead I would like to be able to hear the corresponding patch assigned to the track when on CbB I go to click and highlight the track, I hope I could explain it clearly; thanks 😊

1 minute ago, dogufo said:

@msmcleod first let me thank you, thank you, and thank you again for your time and hard job editing the video; I must tell you also that I did it already so I think that´s  done as described in the video:

CbB_assegnazione_strumenti_SY77_14-04-22.jpeg.e36d424d6c3e23f032b5a8ede6972b8b.jpegScreenShot_dogufo_3_traccia_1_2_3_SY77_settings_14-04-22.jpeg.2fd8bcd369e7d61da54ac90ac574b2e0.jpeg

sorry, your video I think it could not be paused, so unfortunately I can´t clearly understand what is the meaning of your last sentence: "you may want to start your project at bar 2 to give the SY77 the chance to change the sounds"

even tho, unfortunately, the issue still remains, because, when I click on the track in CbB, (I remark: when I click, highlight the track, not when I play  or record it)  I cannot hear the patch inserted as above, but I hear the same patch which comes from the channel 12 or 13 which is assigned in the synth SY77:

... if I set Kbd Trans Ch no. 12 I can hear the patch of track 1 on both tracks 1 and 2, ... if I set Kbd Trans Ch no. 13, then I can hear the patch of track 2 on both tracks 1 and 2; ... instead I would like to be able to hear the corresponding patch assigned to the track when on CbB I go to click and highlight the track, I hope I could explain it clearly; thanks 😊

This may be a limitation with the SY77 in multi-mode - not all synths respond to program changes on individual channels in multi-mode.

I'll need to check with the synth. This may take some time, as my SY77 is back in storage.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This may be a limitation with the SY77 in multi-mode - not all synths respond to program changes on individual channels in multi-mode.

I'll need to check with the synth. This may take some time, as my SY77 is back in storage.

Yes, I think so too; thanks again for your help.

23 hours ago, dogufo said:

Oh,... just noticed... you've you Local set to  on. 

I'd recommend turning local off when using Cakewalk.  What this does is turn the SY77's keyboard into a silent MIDI controller, and the SY77 will only play sounds as a response to MIDI coming in on the MIDI in port.

You will still need to play your project at least once for the program changes to be sent.

Afterwards, you should be able to click on each track and hear only the sound for that track's channel, as Cakewalk will echo what it receives from the SY77, back to the SY77 on the appropriate channel.

Don't forget to switch local back on when you're not using Cakewalk though, else you'll think you've broken your SY77 !

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 12:47 AM, msmcleod said:

Oh,... just noticed... you've you Local set to  on. 

I'd recommend turning local off when using Cakewalk.  What this does is turn the SY77's keyboard into a silent MIDI controller, and the SY77 will only play sounds as a response to MIDI coming in on the MIDI in port.

You will still need to play your project at least once for the program changes to be sent.

Afterwards, you should be able to click on each track and hear only the sound for that track's channel, as Cakewalk will echo what it receives from the SY77, back to the SY77 on the appropriate channel.

Don't forget to switch local back on when you're not using Cakewalk though, else you'll think you've broken your SY77 !

@msmcleod thanks again; ...ah, no; ...I always turn MIDI utility channel set Local to off ...the screenshot above it´s  just the default screen image taken from the manual to show that the channel sent to the tracks is only the one which is selected in SY77 (12 or 13)! So the issue still remains. Maybe the SY77 does not have multi channel transmission ... it´s too vintage.

... and I played the tracks once, ...but unfortunately I still can´t hear only the sound for that track's channel by clicking on each track.

Yes of course I know and I could recornise that when Cakewalk is closed I need to turn on Local again to hear the SY77 patches.

Yes, I think the SY77 is not receiving program changes while in Multi Mode. 

IIRC, my TG500 ( the rack version of the SY85) is the same.  

In reality, it shouldn't be a huge issue.  All it means is that you need to set up the sounds on the SY77 first.  Of course this means:

1. You're limited to 16 sounds - one per channel.
2. All of the sounds will share the one effects block, so you'll need to be clever in the way you set your effects up.  In the past, I've done this by using one reverb/chorus effect for most sounds (adjusting the send A/B for reverb & chorus accordingly), and one "speciality" effect for a particular sound that needs it.
3. The SY77 will continue to receive note/CC data on the separate channels, so you can click on a track to change sounds - but it'll be the sound you've pre-chosen for that channel.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Yes, I think the SY77 is not receiving program changes while in Multi Mode. 

IIRC, my TG500 ( the rack version of the SY85) is the same.  

In reality, it shouldn't be a huge issue.  All it means is that you need to set up the sounds on the SY77 first.  Of course this means:

1. You're limited to 16 sounds - one per channel.
2. All of the sounds will share the one effects block, so you'll need to be clever in the way you set your effects up.  In the past, I've done this by using one reverb/chorus effect for most sounds (adjusting the send A/B for reverb & chorus accordingly), and one "speciality" effect for a particular sound that needs it.
3. The SY77 will continue to receive note/CC data on the separate channels, so you can click on a track to change sounds - but it'll be the sound you've pre-chosen for that channel.

@msmcleod thanks; I think that you are right. In SY77´s multi mode edit, there is a certain range to give for each patch one group of effects; ... so thanks again, I can deal with it.