1 minute cue IS THIS IT?

DeeringAmps

IS THIS IT?

Been in a bit of a creative funk for a bit.
I threw the backing track together with the aid of ToonTrack's Modern Pop bass, keys, and drum midi. There are some titling inconsistencies, but its not hard to figure out.
I guess I'd classify it as a "cue", or "bumper" maybe? (something I know nothing about)

It did have the intended result; I'm starting to "bond" with EZbass, getting a little more fluent with EZkeyes, learning to edit inside of SD3,
and it pushed me to write a quick solo (that wasn't a 12 bar blues) and tighten up my chops.
Is it "perfect"? Nope! At some point I'll go back and get the guitar part "right" and "massage" the midi a bit more.
For now I'm on to the next "cue".

We need a bit more interaction between the Songs Forum and the Deals Forum.
A lot of "bought it, installed it"; but very little "this is what I did with it".

So here's the tech info:
EZkeyes Modern Pop
EZbass  Modern Pop
SD3    Modern Pop Grooves
SofTube Marshall Silver Jubilee: '67 Classic (not sure I "love" this)
SofTube Celestion Speaker Shaper: 2 4 x 10 cabs with Celestion Blue and G12 Heritage, both with Alnico magnets. I think I've "bonded" with this one.
IKM's FAME Studio emulation; 3 instances of Studio A; Guitar (1), Keys (2) Drums and Bass (3).
Warren Huart has a pretty good tutorial on FAME here.
IKM's Lurssen Console (Pop Rock-more glue) on the Master Buss followed by fabfilter Pro-L2 set at +1.4, ceiling at 0.5dB
Scores 11.7 on LUFS scale in iZotope Insight

The title? one of the midi variations I used was titled This Is It.

As always, would love your crits and comments; don't be afraid to "lean" on me a little; I have broad shoulders...

t

• Like 6

great intro (midi cymbal??)....guitar, bass, drums and keys all enter smokingly good....nice midi hi hat, makes for a high energy/upbeat feel....tasty guitar takes over....nice groove....overall extremely good, well worth putting more time in to make a full fledged song 👍🎵🎶🔊 

• Thanks 1

So a cue or bumper is like an intro?  Sounds really good Tom and seems to me it could inspire you to come up with the rest of the song and get yourself out of that creative funk.
I should make a list of stuff I've bought on the Deals forum and NOT used.  Like EZBass which you used here and sounds great and perhaps I'll now learn how to use it.

-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

Tom, this is really good.  My idea of bumpers is that one can slice them up at any point and create mini bumpers (and they still work.)   Trailers on the other hand, are meant to give a clue as to what the entire score and film will sound like.  So this could be a trailer if it's representative of the score.   A lot of film music is disturbingly cliche (as are the scripts) And, there's GOBS of men and womyn writing in the same cliche'd style.    New, Now, NEXT!  if you know what I mean(?)

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Thanks 1

@Larry T. yes that's a "swell" from the Superior 3 library, as is the

10 hours ago, Larry T. said:

nice midi hi hat, makes for a high energy/upbeat feel

many thanks for the listen and comments.

@bjornpdx Taxi.com has listings for "cues" all the time, film and TV placements. Again, its something I know nothing about...
thanks for the kind words.

@David Sprouse

7 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

New, Now, NEXT!  if you know what I mean(?)

Yep, and thank you for taking the time.

@Wookiee 

5 hours ago, Wookiee said:

I await your development

I am afraid I lack the focus and attention span to challenge the great furry ones commitment to such pursuits.
But thank you for your support!

@jack c.

1 hour ago, jack c. said:

needs to be longer

Almost the forum consensus; I will address that below.
Thank you jack

@Douglas Kirby  Thank you Doug

30 minutes ago, Douglas Kirby said:

thing that stood out was EZbass

Comments re EZbass:
Up to now I pretty much didn't "get" EZb (and still have a lot to learn).
Bear in mind that Toon's Modern Pop is Keys, Bass and Drums midi that compliment one another. So by using the same "Song" midi this backing track
came together pretty quickly. Its actually based on an Intro from one song, and verse from another; both repeated twice. Then "massaged"...
Finding grooves in EZdrummer or Superior 3 is pretty straight forward. Finding "snippets" in EZkeyes is tedious, but generally worth the effort.
Up to now getting something useful out of EZbass has just been tiresome.
As to length:
I got exactly what I wanted here, some quick inspiration that "pushed" my rusty chops; priceless!
Also, I was able to "spotlight"  some of the gear GAS convinced me I "needed"; something sadly lacking on the Deals Forum.
I feel more like the "arranger" in this, as opposed to the "composer". Like a "hired gun" so to speak?
The top line melody is mine, the Toon stuff is "work for hire"; so technically I own the copyright.
And that opens a whole other conversation...
Should Sheldon Leonard receive writing credit for the riff in Last Train to Clarksville? (please lets not go down that rabbit hole)

Again, thanks to one and all for taking the time, it is much appreciated...

t

Hey tom it is great to hear something new from you!  Hopefully, this opened the door for you to get out of that creative funk.  I agree with the comments above  -  the mix sounds doggone good and professionally done.  The separation of instruments (sounds) is excellent and clear as a bell.  I don't know squat about MIDI and struggle with it but I do know when something is good.  In particular that bass and guitar (sound and performance) are great.  Yup - please do make this a full song!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...