Presonus Studio One 5 Pro

cclarry

12 hours ago, John Maar said:

I avoided Cubase specifically because of the eLicenser dongle.

That's where Steinberg lost me when I was shopping for a new DAW back in 2017 when Gibson bailed out on Cakewalk.

They wanted me to buy an eLicenser to just demo Cubase Pro. So I cross-graded to Studio One 3 Pro. No regrets! Now on S1 5 Pro, and it keeps getting better! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

>>I've been using Studio One over 10 years now and I can honestly say I can't remember a single crash that was caused by Studio One. I was running it off digital camera SD cards for a while because I had 2 HDD's die on me and not once did I have a problem doing that. >>

Were you running a portable install off the SD cards or was it just your projects and media on there?

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

The only time i can get a stutter in Studio One is when I forget to pause Carbonite (cloud backup) and it kicks in while I'm playing a song or recording a track.

Put an instance of one of IK's tape machines on each track and bus 😁

3 hours ago, pbognar said:

Were you running a portable install off the SD cards or was it just your projects and media on there?

I had a tiny C: drive I loaded it on but I had everything else loaded on SD cards. Samples I used, all my tracks I recorded and edited, even my free VST's I had on there. I could record right to the SD cards using Studio One and it never let me down once.

4 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

I guess if you only recorded 4 tracks..............;)

The most I ever recorded was an entire side of a 45 minute 8 track master cassette at 96/24 at 4 tracks at a time. I had to record 4 at a time because the machine only has 4 outputs.

What I did was, I transferred the drum track plus 3 other tracks at one time. Then I recorded the drum track again and however many tracks I had left.

In Studio One you can quantize audio tracks so what I did was I set a group for the first set of 4 tracks that included the drums then the second set which included the drums again and however many tracks were left. I then designated the drum track as the quantize track and set it to line the drum track from the two groups and it would put everything in perfect timing.

Cassette based multitrack machines back then had no time code and they drifted if you transferred tracks one at a time. Studio One made that task of lining them up a breeze once I figured out the process.

But as for recording more than 4 at a time, I've never done that. But I have transferred extremely large high bitrate and high sample rate 4 tracks sessions and have never had a problem. 

I don't think the DAW itself has a whole heck of a lot to do with that anyway. I think the real story is how it handles manipulating those files once they are captured. Recording waves is all on the audio card drivers and how your hardware is set up if I'm not mistaken.