MIDI track recording itself on other tracks

Monica Mann

Question

I'm relatively new to cakewalk and I've been using Komplete Kontrol for drums as a step sequencer however when I try to record an audio track with it playing, it records the drums with the audio (i'm not using a microphone so this isn't an audio bleed and the meter lights up when I play the song with the audio track armed for recording) and I seem to have all inputs and outputs routed correctly and the input echo is turned off for the drum track. Again I'm still really new to the software and recording in general, and if it helps I'm using a Mackie Pro FX6v3 USB mixer as my input and output (Analog 1+2 for input and Analog 3+4 for output). Does anyone have a possible answer?

3 answers to this question

Sounds like the mixer is echoing its output back to its input which is more commonly a default setup with onboard soundcards but can happen with any interface that has internal mixing/routing capabilities. In any case, routing of audio in the Mackie would be the first place to look.

I highly recomend you watch some of the first videos in my tutorial series. That will get you going a lot faster. 

You're probably looping your output to the mixer back. Read the Mackie manual for proper instructions on setting up monitoring the USB channel without it looping back. 

63d3cae01e0e7f06b6006999c80f56b3.image.5

Edited by John Vere