Plugin Alliance - Mega Sale

Frank

1 hour ago, ALC said:

Picked up Friedman Buxom Betty for $15 with monthly voucher yesterday.  Now I’ll be trying to figure out which amps to get for $10.  I’m an amp-oholic.

I'd personally ignore the Engl's in that price category and look at the Chandler and Bassdude to see if either offers you something different than what you have in the stable.  I find the Chandler to be the most unique offering in that price point (and sounds good).  

Buxom Betty is among the better amps they have, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I decided to break down and use my voucher.  I got Hawkeye because it was something that was different than the usual compressor or eq. I looks really colorful on a DAW.    It's easy to avoid Waves deals than PA.   You have to give PA some credit with the 3 machine limit and one of the best online authorizations. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

I'd personally ignore the Engl's in that price category and look at the Chandler and Bassdude to see if either offers you something different than what you have in the stable.  I find the Chandler to be the most unique offering in that price point (and sounds good).  

Buxom Betty is among the better amps they have, IMO.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

What do you not like about the ENGLs?

I have all the non-high gain amps already (except for Orange).  At the $29.99 price, it’s just the ENGLs and Mesa Boogies and bx_rockrack left for me.  Any thoughts on the rest of them?

I also have AmpliTube and Softube Amp Room (and a bunch of Nembrini on iOS), so I’m looking for amps that are either better than what I have or unique.

29 minutes ago, ALC said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

What do you not like about the ENGLs?

I have all the non-high gain amps already (except for Orange).  At the $29.99 price, it’s just the ENGLs and Mesa Boogies and bx_rockrack left for me.  Any thoughts on the rest of them?

I also have AmpliTube and Softube Amp Room (and a bunch of Nembrini on iOS), so I’m looking for amps that are either better than what I have or unique.

The ENGLs at that price point just fall flat doesn't really respond like a real amp and not a fan of the tone of either of them.  The Savage120 (higher price point) is fine.

The other ENGLs sound and feel like older digital technology capturing them (which is true).

The Orange Rocker is great and recommend it, but higher price point.  The Mesa I haven't demo'd as I'm not really a fan of the real thing, other Mesas I like but never been a rectifier fan and figure I'd pull out the Desiel if I wanted tone in that ball park, or I also have them with AT5.  

Rockrack feels more like the ENGLs in terms of response and tech (i.e. it is older).  A good value for people that don't have anything else, but for someone with a nice collection I don't really see the point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

The ENGLs at that price point just fall flat doesn't really respond like a real amp and not a fan of the tone of either of them.  The Savage120 (higher price point) is fine.

The other ENGLs sound and feel like older digital technology capturing them (which is true).

The Orange Rocker is great and recommend it, but higher price point.  The Mesa I haven't demo'd as I'm not really a fan of the real thing, other Mesas I like but never been a rectifier fan and figure I'd pull out the Desiel if I wanted tone in that ball park, or I also have them with AT5.  

Rockrack feels more like the ENGLs in terms of response and tech (i.e. it is older).  A good value for people that don't have anything else, but for someone with a nice collection I don't really see the point.  

Based on your feedback, I'll pass on the rest of them at the $29.99 price point, then.

How do the Orange and Diezels stack up against the AmpliTube equivalents (I have everything in AT5 MAX from the GB)?

If anything, I'll just wait on a sale on the newer PA amps.  I have enough to play with.  Thanks for tempering my GAS.

To offload some heavy resource hitters like Amplitube off my projects I'm considering some PA amps. Does anyone have an opinion if there are any amps that could do a fairly good job in substituting Fender Collection clean sounds? Thx

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

To offload some heavy resource hitters like Amplitube off my projects I'm considering some PA amps. Does anyone have an opinion if there are any amps that could do a fairly good job in substituting Fender Collection clean sounds? Thx

Some options …

bx_bassdude:

"Faithful reproduction of an early 1960’s Fender Blonde Bassman guitar/bass amp"

Suhr PT-100:

"Channel 1 is voiced in the 'American' style, delivering sparkling clean to lightly crunchy tones."

Buxom Betty:

"This is a stunning, hand-wired, single-channel amp, famous for its creamy clean American and crunchy British tones."

Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 50:

"From crystal clear and highly detailed clean sounds to its harmonically complex and eloquent overdrive, this amp will hold its sonic integrity at any volume level."

Chandler GAV19T:

"… inspired by classic British amps like Selmer, Vox and Marshall … this amp’s palette runs from clean to crunchy."

The Chandler would be more like a VOX clean.  The others above are more along the line of Fender/American clean.

Edited by ALC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm kinda skeptical on all-in-one mastering plug-ins, but I do think they are great for getting decent-sounding roughs. I've found myself throwing bx-masterdesk classic on works in progress more than TRacks One or Ozone Elements lately, and I noticed that during this sale at least, I had a $10 off chit for masterdesk in my account that could be combined with the $20 voucher to get me the full bx_masterdesk for $9.99. Ye who like masterdesk classic, go forth and go pro. For me it strikes a good balance between "too EZ" and "might as well just use my full master chain."

Unfortunately, I didn't test BASS-MINT before my March voucher expired, and  that'll cost me an extra fiver. Ho-lee shmo-lee  that thing make the bass sound good. At first I thought "but I already have multiple bass management FX, like RBass, Fundamental Bass, and Barks of Dog I and II" and then I had to go and try the demo. Makes sense, I guess if you're going to drop into a market that already has so many other products, your stuff better have it going on. The thing makes my ears happy.

20 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I'm kinda skeptical on all-in-one mastering plug-ins, but I do think they are great for getting decent-sounding roughs. I've found myself throwing bx-masterdesk classic on works in progress more than TRacks One or Ozone Elements lately, and I noticed that during this sale at least, I had a $10 off chit for masterdesk in my account that could be combined with the $20 voucher to get me the full bx_masterdesk for $9.99. Ye who like masterdesk classic, go forth and go pro. For me it strikes a good balance between "too EZ" and "might as well just use my full master chain."

Unfortunately, I didn't test BASS-MINT before my March voucher expired, and  that'll cost me an extra fiver. Ho-lee shmo-lee  that thing make the bass sound good. At first I thought "but I already have multiple bass management FX, like RBass, Fundamental Bass, and Barks of Dog I and II" and then I had to go and try the demo. Makes sense, I guess if you're going to drop into a market that already has so many other products, your stuff better have it going on. The thing makes my ears happy.

I think Masterdesk has a place for people who don't want to get too involved in the mastering process, but still don't want it left at just the mix stage. Some of the elements in it can actually be used separately quite nicely on tracks and busses as well.

Bass-Mint is good. I tried it ages ago and really didn't think much of it.. they had reset the trial statuses since then (I love and hate them doing that! Hate because there's more chance of me demoing something again and buying.. like I did 🤣) and I gave it another shot and I get it now, so that's what I went with.. so far 🙂

• Like 1

My new favorite Plugin Alliance plugin is ProAudioDSP DSM V3.

I had to record a training video recently and I wasn't very happy with my voice (yes, I know that's pretty common). After trying a multitude of plugins and mix tricks, I added DSM V3 with a spectral capture from a Venus Theory YouTube video and WOW!

I was still hearing my voice, but imprinting the tonal balance did improve what I was hearing by leaps and bounds compared to my original recording (even after having tried similar "tonal tricks" like Ozone's matching EQ)

Just demo it with your voice and a spectral capture from a good recording of your favorite movie actor's or podcaster's voice, if it works for you as well as it did for me, at $19.99 (after voucher) it can be a pretty sweet deal

(as a side note, another PA plugin that I used in this project was Fiedler Audio Stage, for a nice and subtle upconversion of the mono microphone signal to stereo)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

I added DSM V3 with a spectral capture from a Venus Theory YouTube video and WOW!

Whoa, it can make you sound like Venus Theory? That guy sounds like a 70's FM radio jock.

Can it make me sound like Greg from Kush Studios? 😄

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ALC said:

Based on your feedback, I'll pass on the rest of them at the $29.99 price point, then.

How do the Orange and Diezels stack up against the AmpliTube equivalents (I have everything in AT5 MAX from the GB)?

If anything, I'll just wait on a sale on the newer PA amps.  I have enough to play with.  Thanks for tempering my GAS.

I prefer the PA ones but both of these amps are more compressed in nature so the "feel" isn't as big of an issue to me.  The PA out of the box seems like it has more clarity and less muddiness though I'd imagine the AT ones with plenty of tweaking (swap cabs, mics, post EQ) could get the same sort of thing going on over all.  

These are two I'd test drive if you have the AT ones to see if the difference is big enough for you.  

Of course the PA ones have far lower resource consumption.  

I had the PA Orange and Diezel VH4 before I got the AT5 get everything GB.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I looked, thought about it, did I need any.... no, and walked away. I have such amazing willpower.... 😕

I did the same...I didn't even take what I could have gotten for free...because I'd never use them...

• Like 1

If anyone is interested, I have a voucher to get the Mega Bundle Annual Sub for $199 instead of $249
and you'll get a $249 voucher right away, so you could get quite a few decent perpetual Plugins
with the voucher during this sale, and a 1 year EVERYTHING sub
(NOTE: You have to spend the $249 voucher you'll get all at one time)

• Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

My new favorite Plugin Alliance plugin is ProAudioDSP DSM V3.

I had to record a training video recently and I wasn't very happy with my voice (yes, I know that's pretty common). After trying a multitude of plugins and mix tricks, I added DSM V3 with a spectral capture from a Venus Theory YouTube video and WOW!

I was still hearing my voice, but imprinting the tonal balance did improve what I was hearing by leaps and bounds compared to my original recording (even after having tried similar "tonal tricks" like Ozone's matching EQ)

Just demo it with your voice and a spectral capture from a good recording of your favorite movie actor's or podcaster's voice, if it works for you as well as it did for me, at $19.99 (after voucher) it can be a pretty sweet deal

(as a side note, another PA plugin that I used in this project was Fiedler Audio Stage, for a nice and subtle upconversion of the mono microphone signal to stereo)

Never got myn head around this one ....