Finally have to say goodbye.

Been a Cakewalk user since Cakewalk DOS. After Cakewalk shut it down, I was given a discount to cross-grade to Digital Performer. I never like digital Performer. It was hard for me, to do projects, and a few months or years later I was rescued by Bandlab. I do a lot of animation with iClone, so I went up to 128GB RAM motherboards, and a i7 -6900 CPU. I notice the difference in animation programs, but not any improvement with Cakewalk or any updates. The only problem I had Cakewalk fixed it, then the next update, it was back, was the loop my drum tracks. after a few minutes in the songs, instead of the notes starting at .000, I was getting crazy numbers .457, and so forth. When Bandlab took over that was solved.  I've been using a Motu 24AO, since it came out and with two DACS, I was able to have 16 analog inputs, and 40 analog outputs to my 32 ch. mixer. Before the 24AO, I was using 2- 1010LT cards, and it gave me 16 channels of audio output from Cakewalk, but they never made a good Win 10 driver. 3 years ago, I bought the fastest CPU then, a Ryzen 9-3900X, used the 128 RAM. Cakewalk got worst, after an update, 4 minutes into a song, it would drop out even at the highest buffer settings. I saw where background programs, and formatting drives would stop it, so I took them all out. I re-loaded Bandlab to a clean install. My CPU would normally run at lower than 3%. Then after 4 minutes it would start climbing up to 8% activity and crap and spike out. Last November when I was able to transfer the 3900x to a 5950X, things got worst instead of better. You could barely see the CPU activity, under one percent. The final straw was last Thursday, when I had a simple two channel drum track. And recorded a vocal mono track for the first time in years, It, stopped recording within 15 seconds. This is after I bought faster memory. The drum track sounded tinny at some parts though. I remember two months ago, I opened my last version of Cakewalk, still on my machine. But I couldn't save the project, because they said I didn't buy it and I did. My songs seem to work fine, no 4 minutes plus problem. Before Bandlab, I was using 24-34 tracks of audio, and Midi with no problems on some songs. I bought an upgrade Digital Performer 9 a few years back, to buy muti-channel tracks of hit records from Mix the Music. I look at most of the DAW software on YouTube, and was ready to but DP11, until I saw how bad the GUI looked, and you couldn't use two screens. I finally settled on software from company beginning with a "M", and the software starts with a "S".  This is my second day to use it, in February I had 846 plug-ins, now down to 623. I changed the software directory to all the paths where the VST files are. And it loaded VST files, that Cakewalk would not work with anymore. Clon Ensemble, was my most important one. I can never find anything like it. I had since 2004. This program and others have free trial periods. I can two recording with it that would make me sound like a real group of people.  I was also getting some ringing on Bandlab, with two channel drums. I even lowered my audio interface to 44.1 kHz, 16 bits, but it still dropped out, With the new software I imported 18 tracks of audio at 48kHz X 16, and it worked on a 9 minute song, every time. I was sort of reluctant to purchase it today, because another software was bragging about it had now had comping recording, and I just started using Comp recording 6 years ago. I was happy this other software has comp recording also. With 18 tracks of audio playing, the CPU was around 2% max, the drives "0". I just wouldn't believe it was the software. Good luck with your projects to everyone. Almost 40 years of using Cakewalk has come to a end.  

• Confused 1
  • Meh 2

I did see Motu 24ao mentioned. This uses class compliant drivers.  End of story.

Looks to me like the 24ao is for a Mac only. Is the OP using a Mac?  

Doesn't seem like it as the "new Software"  they chose is also PC only https://www.magix.com/us/sem/samplitude-pro-x/   Looks like throwning in the towel will set you back $ 230.  If it's anything like there other software expect bugs and crashes. I had to stay with Movie Maker 14 as 17 just freezes up on me. But Sound Forge is an old program that seems solid. Sampletude isn't a DAW you hear much about. 

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. And stories like this one are proof that I don’t care how powerful your computer is you still need to set up the audio system properly and optimized too. Cakewalk is more intigrated and as we all know it works best when paired with a top quality ASIO driver. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

In my experience, when the majority of people don't have problems with a piece of software, and a few people do, it's something about the setup. Sometimes it can be updates of multiple elements being out of sync with each other, e.g., an operating system update using a graphics card that hasn't been updated. 

I don't care what anyone uses, just because Cakewalk is a seriously good program doesn't mean there might not be others that are more appropriate to someone's needs or workflow. However, I think it's a mistake to encounter outlier problems and assume the solution would be to use a different program, because whatever caused the problems could cause new or different problems with the new program. 

I've seen people re-install Windows thinking that was necessary to solve some system issue, yet all they really needed to do was update a driver. Sure, maybe re-installing Windows installed the more recent driver and solved the problem, but why go through all that hassle? It seems a shame to throw away decades years of familiarity with a program before first isolating why there's a problem. If the issue is "I don't want to hassle with computers, I just want to make music," I understand that mindset. For those people, I recommend a Mac, with the caveat that it too has problems, but the odds are better that an out-of-the-box setup will work well for audio.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

I've seen people re-install Windows thinking that was necessary to solve some system issue, yet all they really needed to do was update a driver.

+1  I don't think I've ever re-installed an O/S  or any flavor of Cakewalk on the same drive twice in my entire life, going back to Cakewalk 2.0 for DOS on an 80286.  No problem I've ever encountered could not be resolved with a targeted fix (sometimes to hardware - bad RAM/HDD sectors, improperly seated cards/cables, over-heating CPU, failing/over-taxed power supply, etc.).

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

49 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

In my experience, when the majority of people don't have problems with a piece of software, and a few people do, it's something about the setup.

Yup.

In other breaking news, it turns out that the earth is indeed spherical. One reason I know this is the large number of people who have actually gone all the way around it. (Full disclosure: I've only been halfway around it myself, but I'm pretty sure the other half follows a comparable geometry.)

An even greater number of regular people use Cakewalk (or Reaper or ProTools or Logic or Fruity Loops) every day without tearing their hair out. Heck, most people who drive Audis or use Samsung phones don't catch on fire, and most passengers on Spirit airlines get to their destinations on time.

I say this not to belittle the OP, but only to reinforce Craig's point. Richard is obviously having real problems and is frustrated. But he's making a fundamental mistake by assuming that his issues are caused by the DAW, when in reality that's probably the last of many potential culprits to put in the police lineup.

A computer system is a complex jumble of software and hardware and magic smoke that's not easy for anyone to grasp. I've been figuring stuff like this out since 1976, and I still routinely get stumped because I get stuck in a rut of erroneous assumptions. Not to mention the many times my UTK interface has failed me (UTK = User To Keyboard). Actual bugs in Cakewalk that bite me constitute maybe 0.001% of my problems. And I'm a beta tester. I'm trying to find problems.

So Richard, this is actually meant to be words of encouragement. If you feel like switching DAWs, go for it. Moving to a new environment can actually be creatively inspiring. But I'd like to save you further frustration and get you back to making music, and concentrating your efforts on the wrong culprit is only going to delay that further.

• Like 2

The last Goodby thread ended up being 3 pages, 50 replies, over 2,000 veiws.   The OP only responded back once 1/2 way down page one but the thread soldiered on withou them.  Goodbye threads are obviously good reading.  Here we go again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

The last Goodby[e] thread ended up being 3 pages, 50 replies, over 2,000 veiws.   The OP only responded back once 1/2 way down page one but the thread soldiered on withou[t] them.  Goodbye threads are obviously good reading.  Here we go again.  [emphasis [and corrections] added

FAMOUS LAST WORDS, Or: Lessons from "Goodbye" threads:

Lesson (from the OP of the above):

I had an personalised workspace called Arranging. I switched Workspace > None  and lo and behold, my Loop construction appeared again! I looked into Manage workspace... option and indeed the view for Loop construction was turned off [emphasis added]

Not only are they good reading, but maybe they should be required reading before someone posts an "I'm done with Cakewalk!!!!!" post.  😉 

Edited by User 905133
to add a smiley at the end. ;-)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Heck, most people who drive Audis or use Samsung phones don't catch on fire, 

Dang it!

I don't know how to feel about this. I own both. It's actually the first time I hear about a fire incident with both. Should i be worried? Its my 4th Audi in 7 years and probably 100th Samsung phone. 

2 hours ago, Will. said:

Dang it!

I don't know how to feel about this. I own both. It's actually the first time I hear about a fire incident with both. Should i be worried? Its my 4th Audi in 7 years and probably 100th Samsung phone. 

Well, don't leave your phone in the car - either one of them catches fire, you will have an anomaly where they both go up in flames . . .

Syphus

8 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Not only are they good reading, but maybe they should be required reading before someone posts an "I'm done with Cakewalk!!!!!" post.  😉 

Exactly. The reality is that this is one of the most helpful forums ever. I don't understand how it has avoided TFS (toxic forum syndrome), but hey, I'll take it!

The point of a response to this kind of thread is NOT primarily for the OP, it's just gravy if they respond. It's for all the people who are considering the same thing, but then they read a post, and they think "hmmm, I remember someone saying Intel has a free utility that will check your computer and make sure you have the latest drivers...maybe I should do that." And then they live happily ever after.

It's all good.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Will. said:

Its my 4th Audi in 7 years and probably 100th Samsung phone. 

That says it all right there. My Chevy Truck 1999, My Apple Phone 2016 . Oh and did you read that Gibson guitars have been known to also catch on fire if you use Amp sims. 

17 hours ago, User 905133 said:

[emphasis [and corrections] added

I have a Canadian Spell Checker installed. It's Colour, not Color. Goodby also passes even though the e on the end is the most common spelling. But I was trying to keep my message short. 

53 minutes ago, John Vere said:

That says it all right there. My Chevy Truck 1999, My Apple Phone 2016 . Oh and did you read that Gibson guitars have been known to also catch on fire if you use Amp sims. 

No, I don't think it does. I trade the old car in for a newer model after every 12 months payment - as soon as the insurance allows me to. 

On 3/29/2022 at 4:55 PM, bdickens said:

^^^^^^^

This.

Seriously. I don't know what the point of starting these threads is other than attention whoring.

It seems that you have never been frustrated! 😆

In general it makes me sad when I read how people react to someone who is desperate! 😢 Most of the comments above are misplaced IMHO. There is almost no helpful comment in such threads! Where is the helpful, positive spirit that some of you talk about? I cannot identify something like that above! It reminds me more of the Middle Adges when people where calling to cut off the head of the accused! But YMMV!